3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   How are people reacting? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/148250-how-people-reacting.html)

garstar 08-04-2008 02:22 PM

How are people reacting?

Hey, I'm totally new here and this is my first post!

I was wondering how people around you are acting to you loosing weight?

I'm having issues with my sister being mean and angry towards me, telling me I'm not eating enough. I know that I am being very healthy and eating and exercising enough. She recently gained weight however and I feel she may be jealous. Any suggestions, and how are people reacting to you?

JulieJ08 08-04-2008 02:27 PM

I guess I'm lucky, because many have posted experiences like yours. I've had nothing but, "Hey, you're looking great," and "You're hard work is showing!" Although, every time I ask my sister for a small portion (she's always cooking fabulous but rich food), I sure can't tell that she reduced anything at all :dizzy:

MonteCristo 08-04-2008 02:31 PM

At first my family didn't think much of the idea. They were sure that I'd give up. Not that they were nasty or anything, they just didn't think I stick too it. After I lost about 20 lbs all sorts of people started GUSHING about how much weight I had lost. It was quite ridiculous, and a bit embarrassing. Now, I've been working at this for 10 months, and people are starting to see it as normal, and just ignore it (except my Grandma, :rolls eyes:).

Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions. Just try and not bring up dieting and exercising around her if you can avoid it. :shrug:

cornellchick 08-04-2008 02:34 PM

I've been on both sides of the weight loss fence. My mom started Weight Watchers about a year ago and managed to lose over 40 pounds. She even got my dad to join in and now he's lost over 30 pounds. They both look great, but I hadn't decided to start dieting until mid-May. So for a while I was struggling with my feelings about their weight loss. I was making excuses for why I couldn't/shouldn't lose weight. While I was proud of them I was also rather jealous. My mom did some things that I'm sure she didn't mean to come off as rude, but that I read as rude anyway; for example, she was offering me her old clothes when she became too small for them. (I took some here and there, but all the while it just made me feel huge.)

Due largely (but not wholly) in part to other reasons and circumstances I finally decided the time had come for me to diet and then become a lifetime maintainer after I reached my goal. So far I'm doing very well and have lost 20 pounds. It isn't all that visible, but friends and family have all been supportive and encouraging. Fortunately I haven't been faced with negative reactions (yet - I go back to school in two weeks and who knows...) so all in all I'd say it's going great.

One thing I have noticed, from both perspectives, is that talking about or otherwise advertising your weight loss TOO much irritates other people. So I'm working on putting myself in the mindset that I am doing this for myself, and not to show off to others. (It's hard because you want to show how proud you are of your efforts! I think it will be OK for me to show off a little, but I should let my body do that for itself rather than mentioning it all the time....)

Spoz 08-04-2008 02:35 PM

A few people have said to me that I've definitely lost weight while the majority will say 'You don't even need to lose weight' and I hate it, they're clearly delusional or just being polite. :no:

sh3l5 08-04-2008 02:43 PM

family members and close friends seem a little concerned that im doing too much and not eating enough....
but i feel fine about it all....

work colleagues are telling me im loosing weight....
and it feels amazing, they are really shocked to see it....

my boyfriend isnt too keen on me loosing any more....
but hes always loved me, when i was 18, when im 12 im sure he will if i make a 10....

RNmomof5 08-04-2008 04:57 PM

Most people are super supportive, and lately I've been getting the "Why areyou still trying to lose weight?" comments

However....... Recently, a friend of mine told me that my weight loss is becoming counter productive. When I asked in what way, she told me that now that I'm thinner, I look older! I tell you, it seems that sometimes you just can't win!

gigantosaurus 08-04-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonteCristo (Post 2301142)
At first my family didn't think much of the idea. They were sure that I'd give up. Not that they were nasty or anything, they just didn't think I stick too it. After I lost about 20 lbs all sorts of people started GUSHING about how much weight I had lost. It was quite ridiculous, and a bit embarrassing. Now, I've been working at this for 10 months, and people are starting to see it as normal, and just ignore it (except my Grandma, :rolls eyes:).

Sorry, but I don't have any suggestions. Just try and not bring up dieting and exercising around her if you can avoid it. :shrug:

This is how it is for me with my family. They want me to lose weight and get healthy of course, but they're sure I'm going to give up, probably because I'm known for starting things w/o finishing them :^::ziplip:

BoopRN 08-04-2008 05:21 PM

My friends are supportive, co-workers are asking me what I'm doing. Its been good feedback so far.

Apple Cheeks 08-04-2008 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoopRN (Post 2301427)
My friends are supportive, co-workers are asking me what I'm doing. Its been good feedback so far.

Ditto.

Although at the beginning of my weight loss when a co-worker mentioned that it looked like I was losing weight, another one snidely commented "Never gonna happen. Everytime I see her she's eating." :mad:

Well, that was 25 pounds ago. So that rude co-worker can suck it! :devil:

rachiebach 08-04-2008 11:51 PM

Well, luckily, I only live with my Dad and he's on a really restrictive diet. So he is really supportive as is my co-worker. But when I tell people how much I want to lose they always say "Why? That's too much...." and blah blah blah. But I chose to take this as a compliment. Bc this means they think I'm thinner than i actually am!

And I FINALLY had someone ask me if I've lost weight-and they had no idea I'd been dieting. So that made my freaking day! haha, bc some people have told me I look thinner, but they knew I was dieting. So to me that doesn't mean as much-bc they could just be saying it to be nice, ya know?

But keep your head up. I'm sure you're sister is just jealous. They've actually done studies about people who are dieting and they've found that a lot of people will try to sabatoge them. Like their best friend will suddenly always have treats, or co-workers will always have treats. Just stay strong!

Star2Be 08-05-2008 12:55 AM

Hello! I've been experiencing something kind of similar with my mom. You might want to look at this thread I started, for some other members' stories: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147222

I haven't yet worked up the courage to tell my friends about my efforts, so I don't really know how they'll react. To be honest, one of the big reasons why I'm a little nervous about telling them is because I have no idea what to expect. But I guess eventually (hopefully!) I'll get to the point where it'll be too obvious to deny that I've been trying to lose weight, hehe. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it!

Iconised Ghost 08-05-2008 02:44 AM

no one has noticed yet U_U But my family is pretty supportive of me eating healthy- i dont go on at them about their eating habits, and they dont go on about mine ;) And when they see something healthy they think i would like, they get it for me ^_^ Its nice

Matilda08 08-05-2008 12:19 PM

All of the people that I care about and care about me are happy that I am trying to be healthier. They encourage me and thats the greatest feeling. I dont know if its because none of them are over weight or what but even if they werent supportive I wouldnt care. I have always been the type to not mind what other people think. You will never be able to please the world anyway and if they cant support something like this with a great cause then they arent looking out for your best interest anyway!

Star2Be 08-06-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple Cheeks (Post 2301908)
Although at the beginning of my weight loss when a co-worker mentioned that it looked like I was losing weight, another one snidely commented "Never gonna happen. Everytime I see her she's eating." :mad:

Oh HECK no! Why do people think it's okay to talk so rudely about the eating habits of overweight people? Oooo, if someone ever said something to me, I'd want to slap them! What a b****!! Kudos to you for proving her wrong. :carrot: