Old 07-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/260/180

Height: 6'0

Default That scary monster, called "The Gym"

i have a gut feeling that I am not the first one to have this problem so I come asking for advice on how to get over my fear of going to the gym. I know i should go and really want to but

I dont know how to get over it. when i picture myself going into a gym to work out i cant get over how funny i would look. When i picture interacting with the other people in the gym, i am scared of how out of place i am.

i have never been to a gym before in my life, and i am scared of going in an not knowing what to do, but even more scared of asking some one to teach me.

I put the idea of ever going into a gym into the pile of unthinkables right next to my dream of running for president.

but the reason i gave for not going to the gym was that i was to fat, and because my weightloss will continue, i thinking i am going to have to one day walk into a gym and this scares me.

Last edited by Smagash; 07-13-2008 at 11:37 PM.
Smagash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:48 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

I was pretty much exactly the same as you before i joined my gym. I imagined it to be full of fit, healthy people who knew exactly what they were doing and who would make me feel completely out of place. I imagined myself as being the outcast again in terms of fitness and weight. And i didnt want to go

BUT! I went. And i had a look around without commiting myself to anything. And you know what? People that go to the gym are normal people, just like you and me. They really are. And there are people of all sorts of different sizes and fitnesses there. And they all look funny, just like i do when i work out The thing is, that I didnt realise before i went, that people are more focused on what they are doing than what other people look like. I mean, we're all there to work hard! Usually people are working too hard to look around judging people.

I spoke to the people that worked there. And they were really nice and encouraging. And they are used to telling people how to use the equipment and giving people guidance! And then i joined

Trust me, it is not as bad as you imagine. Go and have a look, and if it is as bad as you think then you dont have to go back again. I was lucky because i really like the gym i chose first- the people there are friendly, energetic, helpful, encouraging, enthusiastic.

Dont be afraid! I was afraid, but what i was really doing was letting other people, or my perceptions of them, stop me from reaching my goal. You deserve better than that
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

One of my favorite teachers on the planet says this.... "Courage isn't NOT being afraid...it's being afraid and doing the thing anyway."

So have the courage!!! I don't know about others, but I actually DON'T interact with the other people at the gym. I go in with my iPod on, stretch, do my thing, and leave without ever removing my headphones.

Remember that this work is about YOU -- who cares if there are thinner people, or people running faster, or whatever. You're in there with the same goal they are: GETTING HEALTHY!!! After you go the one time I promise it won't be as scary. AND you'll have done two great things: don't something super for your health AND conquered a fear!!
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #4  
This is not a test.

I dont talk to many of the other "gym-ers" either. We've shared the odd "omg this is so hard!" look which is nice. But i like my gym time to be me time- just running or whatever, and thinking ^_^
Old 07-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I have been a gym rat all my life. When I see anybody in there trying to make a difference and get healthy, I look up to them. I also think it is great that you are entertaining the thought of going now. That is a huge step.

Have you thought about getting a personal trainer for the first eight weeks. One time I signed up for a two-year package and I got eight weeks of training for free. I thought I knew it all, and he ended up teaching me a lot (not to mention that he was very nice to look at). If you aren't able to get a trainer, maybe you can ask a friend who is familiar with strength exercises or bodybuilding to go with you the first time.

I bet after the first week, you will lose all that fear and feel totally comfortable. You can do it!
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the previous posts. What you can do is give it a try. I did this when I first joined my gym. They offer a one day trial for a small fee and if you like working out there, then you sign up and they deduct the amount from your membership fee.
I picked a small gym near my house, not many people go there and has a few machines just to test out what it would be like going to a gym and working out with people around, it was encouraging and I plan on renewing my membership next month or even better, join a bigger one =)
Good luck with your goals!
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:13 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 360/309/185

Height: 6'1

Ahhhh the gym LOL I hated the gym the first few days LOL But getting to know the trainers and the people behind the desk- I have to say-they honestly are excited about people getting healthy- they get annoyed with people who quit, whine, and complain.... lol A small hometown gym is usually the best, most chain gyms the trainers are told to sell sell sell..... And they don't really give you any instructions on working out- the actual process- making sure you breathe- I hated it because I always left way sore, and way out of breath- Yes you are suppose to sweat, yes you are suppose to get your heart rate up and breathe more- but you aren't suppose to be gasping for breath lol

It's baby steps Just going in with your headphones and jamming while walking on the treadmill- you'll find there are others that have more weight to lose, they feel the same way you do- if you feel uncomfortable going alone- take a buddy- that way you can make it a bit more fun

Last edited by bettyred; 07-14-2008 at 01:15 AM. Reason: i'm a dork lol
bettyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:35 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

It's not unthinkable! Make it a reality!

I know it's scary and intimidating. You may feel like all eyes are on you, but I assure you- people are just caught up in their own thing. And if you are caught up in your workout, you will stop noticing them.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Try out different gyms. I had a membership at my old job (an athletic facility), so I was limited. When I actually searched out a gym to become a member, I was given 2-5 visit passes to different places. I settled on my gym because the staff is super friendly and helpful and I liked the equipment. They are out there! You just have to find them

I was soooo in your shoes a few years ago, but my health and well-being eventually trumped any fear and insecurity.

Last edited by junebug41; 07-14-2008 at 01:35 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:49 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Maybe it's being a little older ... cause I remember being intimidated by a lot of things in my 20s ... but I have honestly found that if you admit up front that you don't know something, people are HAPPY to share with you.

If I were you I'd go into the gym, find the friendliest looking person at the desk or behind the counter or wherever and say to them ... Hi. This is kinda embarrassing, but I've never been to a gym before and I'm a little intimidated. I don't know anything about any of the machines or what to do or where to start. Can you help me?

I promise you that if you just go in and are honest, there are people there who will be thrilled to show you around and help you. I do it even now ... a few weeks ago I wanted desperately to try the pull-up machine, but I've never used it before. My first thought was "god, I"ll make an *** of myself". But then I grabbed a trainer walking around and said "um, I've never used this before but I really want do. What do I do?" and he showed me w/out hesitation.

Just step right up there and ask for help! Good luck!

Last edited by PhotoChick; 07-14-2008 at 01:54 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 131/100/70 kg

Height: 167 cm

I had slightly the same problem when I first came to the UK and joined my gym. Back in Cyprus my main exersice was swimming and dancing ballroom but when I joined the gym I felt extremely self-concious. I was constantly wondering if people were secretely laughing inside or thinking I was not walking hard enough.

My solution for awhile to go around noon when the gym was almost empty of people. I must say I preferred it as it made me more relaxed. Then I slowly started not caring if people were coming in or were there. That said, I am probably going back to swimming once back home as it is a form of exercise I 100% enjoy.
preetyladyserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

I used to be the exact same way- now you know what my fear is? Missing my gym days. Weird how I've come full circle, huh?

You've got to find what works for you- for me, Curves is the perfect fit for me. Women only, and i don't have to "fear" the die hards and machine settings. For others, it's just not enough of a work out. But that's exactly why you've got to shop around and test a few.

You'll be surprised at yourself and how much you'll learn to depend on it. My only regret is that I didn't pick up the habit sooner!
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:52 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I also go to the gym when it's the least busy for several reasons:

--if I could, I would prefer to have the gym completely to myself -- so that's the closest I can get
--more machines are available
--there's no wait for equipment.

I think (if you can) going when there aren't as many people, or at least STARTING then, would be a great idea.
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/145/115

Height: 5'1"

I was just like you, when I thought about the gym, I envisioned everyone being in great shape, and me standing out as the not so in shape one, but it was completely different, there were people off all ages, and all fitness levels. Like most of the others, everyone seems to be there to do their own thing. As I became a regular, I'd recognize people that were also always there, and we say hi every now and then, but that's about it, everyone tends to have their ipods on focus on their workout.
xpressyaself22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 AM   #14  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

my fear is that its so busy and people are watching me!....
so ive decided to buy the bits i need and work out at home....
maybe workout DVDs wont have the same effect as machines....
but its working thus far....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 AM   #15  
This is not a test.

i also have the busy-gym-phobia, but you get good at working around that. So i pick times i know wont be busy (like 2pm, 10am etc) and if i can make that i pick times when there are classes on- yes it is likely to be busy, but (a) people are likely to be in classes leaving the rest of the gym relatively empty, and (b) if (a) fails and it is still busy, you can always do the class