Old 07-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/219/155

Height: 5'7"

Cool Anyone else want to kick themselves?

So I was wondering if anyone else shared in the same feelings as me. Since I've been on this new health/weight loss quest, it has opened my eyes to so many things. I got to be the way I look because of denial and disregard for unhealthy choices and I'm trying to change that, but I just want to kick myself now for being so unwise for so long. Let's get to my rant...

What brought this on, today especially? Well, seldom do I dine out now, and when I do, I look at the menu well in advance and choose what I'm eating before I even enter the establishment-otherwise, it's bad news bears! Well, this Friday, I'm venturing out for a work lunch to Panera. Harmless, one would think- it's Panera- fresh sandwiches, salads, soups, etc. So, I checked out the nutrition. I've done this in the past- I know that a lot of the menu choices can be like quicksand so I'm always a little wary of their options anyways..but even more than before..I was FLOORED! First off, they trick you because they list the half portion first, and as we all know, nothing there really comes in a half portion unless you get a "you pick two." Then, aside from the hefty portion of calories in almost everything, I couldn't get over the amount of sodium in everything. The only option I could really justify getting was the strawberry poppyseed salad- I can eat it and not feel like I ate a salt block! How can they pack so much in I'll never be able to figure out..

So moral of this unnecessarily long rant is I'm glad that I've realized now that I have to be cautious and look out for myself, not just not while I'm losing this weight, but for the rest of my life- because if it's not Panera, then it's a steak house or it's a pizza place, etc. This only took me 25 years to learn- Better late then never, huh?

Anyone else had some eye-opening experiences on their journeys?
Mango683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #2  
I will do this.

OOOOooo yes. With eating out. I could kick myself for ordering chinese and indian food twice a week! Even this salad place we have called "Mad Greens" can pack 600 - 700 calories in a SALAD. And how did "pick two" be half portions? It's half to TWO things....which equals one.

I am going out for my birthday dinner and feel really guilty because I know what horrible things I am going to have.....aka lemon chicken. We all desire treats once in awhile but I am not sure I am going to enjoy is as much as I did in the past because I know now what exactly I am getting myself into.

I also have noticed how much better things taste when I have cooked them - even when it is chicken and brown rice for the millionth time!

Like you said, better late than never! And GREAT job looking things up before you go....that is the key!
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 PM   #3  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Oh yes. Until recently, I had NO idea how many calories I was sucking down on a daily basis.

And I'm kicking myself even more, because although I'm OP 90% of the time, the other 10% of my diet consists of things I know I shouldn't be eating because I'm AWARE now.

Slow changes, eh?
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 AM   #4  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

i cud kick myself for eating jaffa cakes the past two nites....
and chocolate fingers last weekend....
will just have to take it easy at the bbq this weekend!....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:10 AM   #5  
Changing for the better

I was in a similar position - I was eating really unhealthy foods and I had an idea of the caloric amount, but basically ignored them because I thought it tasted good. Now, it makes me truly sad to see how I treated my body, because my habits reflected low self-esteem and ambivalence. Our bodies deserve to be treated the best that we can treat them, and we only get ONE after all! (or in other words, as my mom says, "Use it or lose it").

On the topic of eating out, I know exactly what you mean about Panera (I used to work there). The good thing about their salads and regular sandwiches, though, is that they will usually prepare them however you want, with whatever you want on it (and you can get the dressing/sauce/spread/etc. on the side). I would NOT recommend the panini sandwiches however, as I'm sure you found out they are LOADED with fat and calories. Not a very good health-conscious choice!

IMO you are one step ahead for planning ahead. When that isn't possible, focusing on small meal portions is key. Having one unhealthy meal, when you know you will get back on track and COMPENSATE for those extra calories throughout the rest of the week, is not going to ruin everything.
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #6  
Flabulous

S/C/G: 230/218/160

Height: 5'9"

I think it's worse to look back on all the bad food you've eaten even when you KNEW how many calories it contained. Oy. That's me.

But I try not to think of all the time I "wasted" by not treating my body correctly. That will just make me depressed. . . and then I'll reach for the cookies and start the cycle all over again.
LetsWorkItOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #7  

Height: 5' 8"

[QUOTE=Mango683;2263017]This only took me 25 years to learn- Better late then never, huh? QUOTE]

That's the part I focus on - the "better late than never". Yeah, I sure wish I'd been a more educated eater over the last 30 years but, since from the inside looking out, my brain is still thinking like a spring chickie I'm glad I have the opportunity to morph myself into the healthiest, hottest Nana at my grandkids high school graduations
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 211/182/150 (For now)

Height: 5'4"

I could kick myself for eating that choc chip cookie last night..ok 2 cookies. Or maybe I should kick my husband for making them. LOL! I went over 400 over plan but I worked my butt off ater that too get rid of those dumb cals.
LynseyLikes2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #9  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I could kick myself for not getting serious about weight and resistance training sooner.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 138/127/120

Height: 5'4

Oh man. I HATE eating out. There's hardly anything anywhere that's reasonable. I was looking at the Panera menus as well...everything is HORRIBLE except that strawberry poppyseed salad, and some of the soups. So if I absolutely HAVE to go there, I'll get the you pick two with the afore-mentioned salad and a bowl of vegetarian vegetable soup.

I had to go to Olgas with some friends the other day...I ended up just getting a diet pop because everything is so awful. My friends were all worried about me like I was starving myself...NO, I just don't want all of my daily calories in one meal, thanks!

I did get get egg beaters and dry wheat toast at Denny's about a week ago, and that was satisfying

So yeah, I kinda avoid eating out like the plague!

Last edited by Zima; 07-10-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Zima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:47 PM   #11  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Really? I LOVE eating out. It's like the most enjoyable thing in the world to me -- having a nice meal at a nice restaurant with someone I like. And... I hate to cook. I hate cooking, I hate cleaning up afterwards, I hate how hot the house can get. But I don't go to so many chain restaurants -- most food places in NYC aren't chains and I try to order "meal salads" with oil & vin whenever I can. Or I will have a veggie omelette or something. I find I'm usually under my calorie requirements (since I don't snack very much since I can get out of control with the snacking once I start) so a little extra something once or twice a week seems to be fine for me. Even a Panera soup and (whole) salad, combined with everything else Im eating in a day, will usually only bring me to 1700 or 1800 cals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zima View Post
Oh man. I HATE eating out. There's hardly anything anywhere that's reasonable. I was looking at the Panera menus as well...everything is HORRIBLE except that strawberry poppyseed salad, and some of the soups. So if I absolutely HAVE to go there, I'll get the you pick two with the afore-mentioned salad and a bowl of vegetarian vegetable soup.

I had to go to Olgas with some friends the other day...I ended up just getting a diet pop because everything is so awful. My friends were all worried about me like I was starving myself...NO, I just don't want all of my daily calories in one meal, thanks!

I did get get egg beaters and dry wheat toast at Denny's about a week ago, and that was satisfying

So yeah, I kinda avoid eating out like the plague!
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:38 PM   #12  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Agreed--- I LOVE eating out, but financially it doesn't work for us b/c we're saving for a house so don't do it that often.

But I LOVE it... and if I go out, I don't want to eat yucky stuff just because it's low calorie--- so I definitely look up the calories before I go and if I find something I like, I MAKE it fit (and that means I might have to eat mostly veggies the entire rest of the day!)

Or I just go over occasionally and chalk it up to one bad day once in a while. I'm not going to live the rest of my life avoiding things just b/c once in a while I go over budget calorie wise. However.... if I ate out more than a couple times a month... then that wouldn't work.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #13  
I just need motivation.

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/145

Height: 5ft 7 inches

I agree, if I am going to spend the money to go out I am going to get something I would like. NOT 2,000 calories worth..but still. I can make something boring and bland at home. My favorite food is buffalo wings..though they have a lot of fat. I realized that they are around 500 calories for 10..So if I eat good all day, I've got enough calories left to enjoy them.

At Panera, the food can fit into most diets. I LOVE the fuji apple chicken salad I (though they don't have it right now.l think it's only around 500 calories. MOST of us should get around 1400 calories..so you could make it fit. I love panera. Though the sodium is another story, it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to eat less than 1,000 mg of sodium a day.

Though, I could KICK myself for not counting calories because I haven't recalculated how much I should get in a while and I bet I'm going over.

Last edited by illbehotoneday; 07-10-2008 at 03:06 PM.
illbehotoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Default Augh!

I hate eating out and since my husband is gone all of my friends are always bugging me to go out with them and it drives me crazy!! I'm a really good cook, so I kind of shifted the focus and now I make them come over here to watch movies and I cook dinner. LoL.

I love the greek salad at Panera's but once I looked at their nutrition info I freaked out. The only plus I can say about eating out is that most places serve HUGE portions. For someone who has a small stomach like moi, one meal in a doggie bag keeps me fed for the next 4-5 days. I just steam veggies to go with whatever I have left. Saves me from having to wash dishes.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #15  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

Panera is ridiculous! It's worse than Quiznos and they're all about meat and melty cheese. That Sierra Turkey though.... and if you eat half for lunch with an apple or something and half for dinner with a little something else, it's not that bad.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote