High gas prices = skinny me! - Page 2 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Old 06-23-2008, 01:43 AM   #16  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

Ahh I'm so jealous of you. As a single mom with 2.5 year old, and working full time, it's close to impossible to ride bike to go shopping, grocery store, and so on with bike. I also work about 45 minute away from my apt and that's about 35 minutes of highway and 10 minutes of city drive. Sigh.
I was thinking about stationary bike but I know I will get bored with it too fast. Maybe one day... Of course, I will have to take additional lessons on riding bike...maybe with my DD when she gets older...? I can ride bike, going straight, but if I want to make any kind of turns, I have to stop, get off the bike, turn the bike, and then ride again. lol
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 194/139/125

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by M a g g i e View Post
Ack! I posted too soon about my bike. thanks for the tip on gel seats. I swear my butt isn't THAT big, it's just the the seat is very inappropriately placed for women. I'm super jealous that you can bike so many places. Do you have a bike lane or do you bike on the roads? If on the roads, do have any advice because I'm too scared to do it! Also, another stupid question, do you wear a helmet?

Thanks and congrats!! Under arms and hips are so hard to tone, yay for you!!!!!

Hey Maggie! I don't know what the heck bike makers were thinking when they designed those seats. Whoever it was for, I doubt they were human or older than the age of 10.

We don't have many bike lanes, so I do ride the roads, but if I can get to the place by taking the long, scenic route through the neighborhood and back roads I will. Just make sure you have good reflectors, use your arm signals, and go with the flow of traffic. If i'm riding trails, or one of the state battlefield parks I might leave it in my backpack, but if i'm riding at twilight, night, or on a road with more than light traffic i've always got my helmet on. Used to ride motocross once upon a time and helmets have saved my life more than once.

Giro is a company that makes really good comfy (and cute! Mine has pink hibiscus on it) bike helmets for women. They are shaped more for our heads, come with a detachable sun visor, only cost about $40, plus they have room for hair and a place to pull a ponytail through.
NishKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:42 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

Congrats nishkitten! I posted a similar observation a few months ago about walking more since gas prices were sky-rocketing. Unfortunately for all of us, gas was about 75 cents cheaper per gallon when I wrote that back in March. I would love to start biking, but I am afraid of being run down on the roads. I have been walking on the sidewalks more, although with the heat now I can't go out until the sun starts to set. The drivers here barely pay attention to pedestrians, I find myself in close call situations and giving the evil eye to drivers to make them aware that a pedestrian is trying to get by. Even though I am in the college-town part of the city, these are preppy colleges here where kids cruise around in luxury cars only and would probably not notice bikers behind their huge sunglasses and inattention due to yapping on the cell phone. But maybe their transportation patterns will change when they come back in the fall with gas having gone so much higher since they left.

Now I'm just ranting, but I think it makes total sense to develop biking paths and roads. Most of our population who are in good health should be able to ride to errands and work within at least 5 miles. I find that people who have never traveled much outside of the US tend to think that a bike is something you use in spinning class to get skinny or keep in your basement to hang stuff on, not an actual mode of transportation like it is used in the rest of the world. Most of our government leaders must be part of that group that doesn't get out too much.
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:57 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Hello all,
I'm out in the suburbs of Chicago, and the drivers in our neck of the woods have serious problems dealing with pedestrians and bike riders.

Classic example: I'm walking down the street and a car comes along at an intersection. I'm still about half a block away, but the car feels the need to sit there and wait for me to get there so that they can wave me across. Seriously, you don't have to prove how nice you, and I think at this point, I can handle the look both ways thing on my own, please just drive like normal.

Then when I'm on a bike, it's either the creepy crawling behind me in the car (please, I'm not going to dodge in front of you if you just go around me, I promise! You make me nervous back there!). Or the no turn signal people who get PO'ed when you don't anticipate the fact that they're planning on turning and you're in their way.

I know how baffling it must be to be driving along and find a person either walking (!) or riding a bike (!!) but come on now people!
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:42 PM   #20  

riding a bike is fun actually
crazyaboutgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 PM   #21  
Getting back on track...

S/C/G: 195.2/see ticker/167

Height: 5' 8.75"

Oh, SOOOO jealous of y'all who are within biking distance of work/stores!! I live in rural Maine, and I have to drive to work on a very busy highway with no shoulder area for bike riders...it's 15 miles one way. Every morning I hear ads on the radio (while I am driving to work) for a local bike shop advertising commuter bicycles, and I always wish I could bike to work. Or stores. Grr. While I love the country, there is something to be said for living in a more urban area with bike lanes on the streets (like Portland, which is an hour away from me!).

Oh well, I try to be "green" in other ways. And I love my Volvo, even though it's only moderately fuel efficient.
leela0730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #22  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

thank you for you nishkitten for your post!
i have decided to ride the bus to work because it is too far to bike and i am going to see if i can sell my bike which is the bike i rode in high school and purchase a good used adult bike with a basket.
the commute will only be 30 minutes to and from work on the bus so thats not bad at all and its 60$ for unlimited rides every month. that will save me a lot of money.

and the walks to and from the bus stop will help. this gas crisis is ridiculous.

thanks for the inspiration!
bjeweled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Good for you!
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 147/141/125

Height: 5'5"

Congrats on losing some pounds! I'm almost in the opposite situation. For the past two years I've been using a bicycle as well as walking for my main modes of transport (bus and train when the distance is too great), but I've GAINED weight. About 10 pounds over the past two years, but I've recently lost about 6 pounds. So that still puts me at +4.

Now I'm gradually walking more and biking less. My usual workplace is only a 20 minute walk away (8 minutes by bike), but tomorrow I have to work somewhere 2.5 miles away. That takes about 45 minutes. Walking burns more calories than biking right?
wanderlusting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusting View Post
Congrats on losing some pounds! I'm almost in the opposite situation. For the past two years I've been using a bicycle as well as walking for my main modes of transport (bus and train when the distance is too great), but I've GAINED weight. About 10 pounds over the past two years, but I've recently lost about 6 pounds. So that still puts me at +4.

Now I'm gradually walking more and biking less. My usual workplace is only a 20 minute walk away (8 minutes by bike), but tomorrow I have to work somewhere 2.5 miles away. That takes about 45 minutes. Walking burns more calories than biking right?

I don't think it does, actually. You have to walk very briskly and for about an hour to burn the same amount of calories you would taking an easy 20 minute bike ride. Especially if 2.5 miles is taking you 45 minutes, that's a pretty leisurely pace. In the army Walking event on the PT test you have a maximum of 34 minutes to walk 2.5 miles and that's at a moderately aerobic pace.

If you walk/run alot you will start to notice weight gain initially because the muscles in your thighs, butt and hips are going to start gaining mass. As my run time improved my pant size went way up. Once I quit running I slimmed right back down within a few months. I don't even have to unzip or unbutton the slacks I wore 2 months ago in order to put them on.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM   #26  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

I would LOVE to bike to work, but then I'd be all gross and sticky and sweaty all day... that would be cool if companies were more employee and green-friendly--- employee showers--- I might definitely re-think riding to work if I had a nice shower and changing room to get "Ready for work" in... rather than driving to the gym, then coming home, showering, and then driving to work---- would save a LOT of time in the day!!!

Your grocery basket/rack--- not to be mean, but does it look silly? I would LOVE to ride my bike for the little trips to the grocery store when I forget stuff---- but riding with heavy bags dangling off the handles isn't safe--- and I don't want to look "weird" with a basket on my bike! I guess I'm just thinking of something different than it must look...
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 PM   #27  

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewJen View Post
I would LOVE to bike to work, but then I'd be all gross and sticky and sweaty all day... that would be cool if companies were more employee and green-friendly--- employee showers--- I might definitely re-think riding to work if I had a nice shower and changing room to get "Ready for work" in... rather than driving to the gym, then coming home, showering, and then driving to work---- would save a LOT of time in the day!!!

Your grocery basket/rack--- not to be mean, but does it look silly? I would LOVE to ride my bike for the little trips to the grocery store when I forget stuff---- but riding with heavy bags dangling off the handles isn't safe--- and I don't want to look "weird" with a basket on my bike! I guess I'm just thinking of something different than it must look...
Oh, I know what you mean completely! I was a little hesitant the first time I went out because I didn't want to be mistaken for a 12 year old, but everyone thought it was really cute and wanted one! I think my wicker basket from Cynthiastwigs.com looks cute on my cruiser now, plus it's even a good enough size so I can plunk my cats in there with harnesses on and get them outside for some fresh air once in awhile. They seem to like it. By the time we get back they're usually napping happily.

It's also the perfect size to put my emergency kit, gear, and a picnic lunch in when I go on the historic battlefield paths, or ride the scenic route at the James River to Pony Falls or something. I try to stay near the river when it's hot like this so I can throw myself in when I overheat. LoL. They have paved nature rides, and the historic battlefield rides all over VA. A perfect day is hitting a nice 20 mile path and just taking your time, stopping at all of the historic sites, eating lunch and having a glass of wine by the river, and enjoying the sun and water on your toes.