Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #1  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Default Self-Esteem Tips

Self-Esteem has never been my strong suit
So I wanted to share these tips I found online.
Please comment and with the ones you like or don't, or do or don't do. Add your own too!

First, let me give a tip I read today (I can't remember the source) that said to accept compliments! ... i really like that one, because I always shoot down compliments, if not out loud--at least in my head.

Self-esteem Makeover

1.Do not use your weight to measure your self-worth What does weight have to do with self-worth? Your self-worth is the sum of everything that makes you special and unique - not just your thigh and waist measurements! Add up your assets, talents, how you treat others, how you treat yourself, the contributions you make to your family, friends and community. Now you have self-worth.

2.Count your blessings. You have a lot of things to be thankful for a home, a loving family, friends you enjoy, a job, a sunny day, the knowledge you've acquired - even things like shoes, a coat. Many people don't have these things. A mind that counts blessings has no room for self-pity. So you don't wear a size 2? Neither did Eleanor Roosevelt!

3.Are you continually playing negative tapes in your mind? Eject them and insert new tapes! You may have to make a conscious effort. When the critical tape starts playing, picture yourself hitting the "stop" button and insert a new, positive tape.

4.Don't use "all or nothing" thinking. No one is a "total" failure. Most things you do right. Just because you sometimes make a mistake or take a wrong path does not make you a "total" failure. It makes you human. Besides, the president of CBS was recently asked for his secret to success. His answer: failures - because how else would we learn?

No one starts from zero.
You probably eat pretty well a lot of the time. We can always make improvements, but consider the glass half full, not half-empty!

Strut your stuff! Shine!
Show the world your talents. We all have them. Capitalize on what you do well. I'll never dance Swan Lake, but then again, I'll bet that ballerina doesn't play a mean piano like I do.

7.Give thanks to your body for what is does for you. Appreciate its functional nature. It's a pretty remarkable machine. You can use it to take a walk along the beach, hug someone, listen to a concerto, make love - or go shopping! And it can do all of these things no matter what shape or size it is.

8.Educate yourself (and those around you) about issues of size and weight. Learn what's fact and what's fiction. What the research really says and what most people believe are two entirely different things. Reputable researchers will tell you that obesity is still a complex, poorly understood condition that has very little to do with lack of willpower and a whole lot to do with biology and physiology. Most importantly - especially for those who are considered "overweight" - stop blaming yourself. It's not your fault. The research continues to show this over and over.

Become preoccupied with the world... not with dieting.
When we're constantly dieting, weighing, measuring, counting calories, calculating fat grams, recording our feelings in food diaries and agonizing over what to eat and what not to eat, we have little time left for what's going on in the rest of the world. And it's such an interesting place!

10.Put nothing on hold as a reward for weight loss. A Largely Positive member recently suggested:"The best advice I ever got was to make a list of the things I would do differently once I was thin - then pick the top one and do it right now. The item at the top of my list was to take flying lessons and now I'm a single-engine land pilot!"

11.Develop a personal style that announces you. Find some signature pieces. Never ever put off buying attractive clothes until you lose weight - you don't have to wear a 10 to be a 10! Don't buy into the silly notion that you can only wear dark colors because they're more "slimming". At best, dark colors shave off five pounds. Big deal! If I have a choice between looking five pounds thinner or wearing lime green, I'm going for the lime green!

And Women of America:
We do not have "figure flaws," despite what many of the magazines tell us. Each of us is simply shaped differently. It's called diversity. We appreciate it in flowers. Why not in people?

13.Surround yourself with positive, supportive people. Tell weight critics that your size and shape are no longer topics on the conversational buffet table! Eliminate negative people from your life. Surely you have enough supportive people in you circle of family and friends that you'll never miss the "nay-sayers."

Look into your past for sources of low self-esteem.
Retrieve critical comments that were made to you, especially as a child. You will probably discover that your body image was shaped by other people and outside influences. You are an adult now. You have better information. Refute these old messages and from now on, shape your own body image.

15.Concentrate on developing a healthy lifestyle rather than losing weight. Developing a healthy lifestyle is positive and can be measured in lots of ways. Losing weight has only one measure of success: the scale.

Slow down! If we can't remake ourselves overnight, we feel we've failed.
We need instant gratification. The truth is slow weight loss is the only kind that will ever last (haven't you noticed the fine print in ads for quick weight loss products that says, "Results not typical"?) Stop setting weight loss deadlines: for the class reunion, the wedding, the party. Make weight management an ongoing part of your "healthstyle."

You've hear of PMS?
Try having PMA - Positive Mental Attitude! How you feel about yourself is how others will feel about you. Your attitude is always reflected back to you. I guarantee it!

Remember that society is not always right about things.
Just because we have a cultural obsession with thinness doesn't make it right. Society has a long list of injustices and intolerance. Like human beings, societies are imperfect and make mistakes.

Recognize and fight size prejudice.
Size prejudice is often called "the last acceptable prejudice." One thing we can all do is stop laughing - at fat jokes. There is nothing funny about comedy that inflicts pain. As a little girl, I took every fat joke personally. Maybe big girls don't cry, but little girls do.

Remember, in the final analysis - it's the size of your heart that counts, not the size of your body.

Source: www.largelypositive.com (they have some things on their website that I totally disagree with, but this was really cool, I thought)

Last edited by vixjean; 02-10-2008 at 03:59 AM.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #2  
Buzzy little bee

S/C/G: 203/174/153

Height: 5ft 6

Thanks Vix

I needed a little emotional pick up today - great reading.

Boo x
DeliciousBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Those are really some good tips.

I really relate to the one about fat predjust, I was just saying that the best thing I could have done for my carrer was lose weight. I feel like people relate to me better.

Last edited by RememberHowToSmile; 02-10-2008 at 11:22 AM.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 318/300/190

Height: 5'11

This gave me warm fuzzies. Thanks for posting! I think I'll print them out and paste them in my journal.

I'm so glad I finally took number 9's advice. Living a healthy lifestyle is so much harder to do when I'm constantly thinking about "how many calories do I have left," "what will I eat tonight," "should I eat this or that..." etc.
JourneytoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/210/150

Height: 5'7''

thanks for posting
i'll print it out and put it on the fridge.
michellenew
michellenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #6  
Blabbermouth

S/C/G: 140/131/120

Height: 5'4

I also needed to hear #9, because I was going to post about how preoccupied I've become with counting calories, keeping track of what I'm going to eat, how many calories I have left, etc.
frog0726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #7  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/130ish

Thanks for sharing that! I think everyone needs to read that for a little "pick me up"... because I know everyone has their ehhh days. It's great to feel good about yourself.. whether you are a size 7 or size 17 We are all beautiful either way
Shorty1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #8  
loving life

S/C/G: 160/156/135

Height: 5'3''

i'm printing this out and posting it on the fridge!....and going shopping to get pretty spring clothes!

thanks for posting this!
lbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM   #9  
loving life

even though becoming fat had not totally been my fault, I'll still like to take responsibility for it. I'm going to stop blaming genetics, society, and also my mom.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #10  

EVERYONE! THANKS, this is why I love the 20-somethings! You girls are so supportive.

lbs2, are you talking about # 8, I have to say that is the main one that I had trouble enjoying reading. Of course it is my fault, duh--I am not really sure where they were going with that one. I totally understand about those women that struggle with health issues that make it more difficult to lose weight--however, it can easily become a crutch!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:56 PM   #11  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I agree vix. It is my fault that i emotionally eat... however... what isn't my fault are the things that happened to me to cause my emotional downturns...

SO i need to work on other coping mechanisms to still deal with those issues... AND work on my weight.
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #12  
loving life

Yes, I was talking about #8.

I'll like to add, "Stop looking for yourself in mirrors. The real you is through the eyes of people who truly care about you."
Old 02-11-2008, 11:01 PM   #13  
1 day & 1 pound at a time

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8

Thanks these really helped..

I live in toronto Canada and it is literally freezing outside ( they have a freeze warning on the news saying only go outside if you need to because its that cold) so instead of walking or jogging outside I run around in circles in my room..so I printed the list out and posted it on my wall as a form of motivation!!!!
breathe me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #14  
Hot Mama

S/C/G: 201/192/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

i've had trouble accepting compliments for years, i still have trouble thinking my hubby is telling me what he thinks i want to hear or if he really means it.
all those years of being judged as a kid damaged me so when i hear anyone call me pretty i still think i'm gonna hear ugly as the next word. and i havent heard "i think you're pretty.... ugly" since 10th grade prolly the only time i got positive things said to me pertained to activities i did.
i think #9 is easy for me i'm so busy with dirty diapers,nap time and reading gossip online that i dont spend all day worrying about calories or whatever. sometimes those very distractions keep me from the snacking
#8 is a thing in the house i live in, dh and his mom along with her husband have high blood pressure the inlaws have huge drinking problems and dh dh is a stress eater(mils hubby is a pot head that creates odd dishes when stoned)
i'm the one that doesnt want to be fat and i'm doing something about it hubby will follow when we're out of mils house as this is his stressor

and ya know what in the amout of time it took me to get this post down i have a hubby and 2 kids in bed lol jamie my son is teething bad and has had trouble sleeping for 2 days i laid him next to his daddy and sister and he was out
lissa9501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #15  

Just bumping this up in case we need a reminder, I know I did.