Old 06-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #1  
I will do this.

Default Healthy Snacks

So I am getting kinda tired of rye crackers and laughing cow....

I could use some ideas of easy snacks!

Ideas?
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

Yogurt.....looove it, eat it almost every day. Vanilla with fruit mixed in is good, or the Yoplait Light yogurts are delicious at only 100/110 cals each.

Celery or apples with a little peanut butter

Nuts, esp. cashews

Dried fruit (if you eat a small amount)

Baby carrots with a little dressing

I just eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables as snacks; it's so much easier in the summer when everything yummy is fresh and in-season (peaches, strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
Kitegirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/135-see tracker

Height: 5 ' 3"

Cool

Shucks i was hoping this would be a thread of healthy snacks. Cause i'm always looking too.

There's a nice list of quick snacks in a book i've been reading called:
"Small changes, big results," by Ellie Krieger, MS, RD.

"12 quick high energy snacks"

1. Sliced apple w/1 T peanut butter

2. 2 slices turkey and tomato on 1 slice whole wheat bread

3. 1/2 cup lowfat cottage cheese and a peach and a pear

4. A hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit.

5.1/2 cup almonds and 1/4 c dried apricots

6. A 12 oz yogurt and fruit smoothie- [From this book: 1C strawberries(about 6 berries) 1/2 c nonfat milk 1/2 c non-fat vanilla yogurt, 1/4 c cold water. Blend ingredients in blender until smooth]

7. 1/4 c hummus and baby carrots or red peppers or celery or cucumber, etc.

8. 1 c lowfat yogurt and 1 c strawberries

9. 1/2 baked sweet potato with 1/2 c lowfat cottage cheese

10. 10 baked tortilla chips and 1/2 c lowfat bean dip(grab a can of fat-free or vegetarian refried beans, heat in a pan over low heat and add a couple of Ts of your favorite salsa)

11. 1 1/2 ouces reduced fat cheese and 5 whole grain crackers.

12. Half a peanut butter sandwich-1 T pb on 1 slice ww bread.

Another book i've been reading called "Eat, drink and weigh less" by Mollie Katzen and Walter Willett has a great recipe for a very quick tomato soup. It's made from a 28oz can of stewed or diced tomatoes, sauteed garlic, italian seasonings, pepper and olive oil (for drizzling in soup before serving) You blend all of the ingredients in a blender then heat to boiling on the stove and let simmer for 5 minutes. A 3/4 c serving of this is only 100 calories, so i don't know why 1T of parm cheese couldn't be added for some extra protein.

I've also discovered the Yoplait Light yogurts and i have a granola cereal that i like. I take 1 container of the yogurt and mix in 1/2 serving of my granola(in this case 1/4 cup of granola)

Hope you get some appealing ideas from this listing. Good luck.
Ailey60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 324/279/170

Height: 5'10"

I like to munch on a small handful of peanuts. Did you know that honey roasted peanuts are no worse for you than regular salted? And they're sooo good. I'll also go for a single-serving bottle of 100% cranberry juice. I have a bad habit of not eating enough during the work day, so cranberry juice gives me a few calories and a fruit serving.
dani4a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

I love GrapeNuts (I buy the generic Shaw's brand, but still the same...) drizzled with molasses and skim milk and microwaved. High in fiber, calcium (molasses AND milk!) and really tasty!!

I also do TONS of yogurt. I'm really into the Fiber One yogurt right now. Or the Fiber One bars -- though they can be WAY too sweet for me sometimes.

If I'm feeling like I need something decadent I'll have a Luna Bar. Those things taste like dessert, man. Higher cal than I usually like for snacks, but MAN I feel SO FULL off of a Nut Brownie one, heehee!!

Pita chips -- I make my own so I can use whatever spices I feel like (or cinnamon is really good, too). Just cut up a pita, spray with olive oil and broil on a baking sheet. Keep a pretty close eye b/c they burn quickly.

Air popped popcorn. Invest in an air popper -- they're only $20 and the popcorn is SO much better than microwave!! And you save TONS of cals if you sprinkle with spices instead of butter and salt.
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #6  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I like crunching on a handful of cereal. (The square kind, preferably with whole oats or some other healthy kind).

I also like lite popcorn, or a slice of toast with fat-free butter spray.

(Can you tell I'm a carb-oholic? )
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #7  

My Mum does the crackers and Dairylea too, every night when I go downstairs it stinks of those polestyrene cracker things!

I'm really into those Muller Rice (not sure if I've spelt that right) yoghurts at the moment, the ones with no bits in (I don't like bits lol!) they're 100calories but they're huge!

I also like chopping up celery, apples, etc, putting them into a bowl and picking at them. Takes me ages to get through it all and saves me picking at other, unhealthier things.
Beckyx98x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I can whip up an omelet really fast, like five minutes. I also love dreyers popsicles. They are a little higher in calorie count, but aren't sugar free. They are worth it. I will also keep a bunch of containers full of chopped onions, tomatoes, olives, lettuce, and some hamburger (I never use a lot of hamburger), and throw together a couple of tacos. I use fat free cheese. They are very filling. I also use corn tortillas, which are great. Make sure to see what the serving size is, because usually they are two tortillas per serving. I also love fig newtons. Three usually satisfy me.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailey60 View Post
Shucks i was hoping this would be a thread of healthy snacks. Cause i'm always looking too.

There's a nice list of quick snacks in a book i've been reading called:
"Small changes, big results," by Ellie Krieger, MS, RD.

"12 quick high energy snacks"

5.1/2 cup almonds and 1/4 c dried apricots
1/2 cup almonds must be a typo just in case a poor unsuspecting newbie accidently eats ~411 calories (for dry roasted almonds) for a snack
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #10  
Yarp.

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I also use corn tortillas, which are great. Make sure to see what the serving size is, because usually they are two tortillas per serving.
Amen to that, corn tortillas are a godsend. Bring on the tostadas (LF cheese, of course)!
UrsusMaritimus is offline   Reply With Quote