3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   weight-loss, people not noticing:( (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/143388-weight-loss-people-not-noticing.html)

kaplods 06-09-2008 01:10 PM

I think it's really common for people who see you daily (sometimes even yourself) to have difficulty noticing weight loss. Because the person you see in the mirror and the person they see daily - doesn't look a lot different than the day before. It actually takes a tangible reminder to jog their memories, like an old photograph, or seeing you in an outfit you haven't worn in quite a while, and they may suddently realize you look alot different in it than the last time they saw you in that outfit....

And some people are really unobservant. My dad was one, if mom got a new haircut, he'd realize something was different, but not know what, and would ask "did you get a new outfit," or "are those new glasses?" Sorry to say, although I'm adopted, he was able to pass on the oblivious trait to me. A friend once got a new hairstyle - dyed a different color and about four inches chopped off. It took me three days to notice.

scorpio88 06-09-2008 01:14 PM

One of my friends lost 30lb, and you could REALLY tell..but it was more so like I didn't know how to comment so I left it alone. Some people get offended or feel awkward. Like myself, I know it sounds weird, but I don't like when people comment on my weight in any way. It just makes me feel weird, like confirming I was fat before (I know I was, but I just like to think nobody else knew ;)).

CookieMonster416 06-09-2008 03:45 PM

I agree with Scorpio. It's funny, I was walking down the hallway at work and one of my co-workers says, "I've been meaning to tell you that you look really good." People notice, but they don't always say something.

Kitegirl24 06-09-2008 04:20 PM

On the same note of people being oblivious, you know what else? Most of us are thinking about how WE look, that we don't always notice how others look. It's not that you look the same as you did before. Depending on what you're wearing, what other people are thinking about/distracted by, and what you weigh at any given moment all contribute to whether someone mentions to you that you look different. But at the end of the day it's like you said - improving yourself isn't about making others happy, it's about making YOU happy. And that's what matters the most! :)

taragettingthin 06-10-2008 10:04 PM

I'm with all the other ladies.
I haven't lost as much as you have, but can tell the difference in myself from how clothes fit. One of my coworker mentioned something about my weight loss when I lost about 5 lbs, and now I've lost about 13 lbs and no one else has mentioned since then. So yeah, I'm little bit disappointed and hoping it will be more noticeable when it hits 20 lbs...but like I mentioned, I know I look and feel different. Even my clothes fit different. So I just tell myself that I'm doing this for myself and in the end, I won't be known as the BIG GIRL anymore. ;)

Remember how many dress sizes you dropped. That's A LOT! =) Congrats!!!

Mango683 06-10-2008 10:58 PM

What I've noticed is that people notice is that something is different, but they can't pinpoint it- "your hair looks really great!" "you look really happy," etc. Like they notice a definite change in me, but the loss isn't drastic enough (yet) for anyone to take notice of that..and you know what, I'm fine with it. But how great it will be for someone who isn't going to see me for a while to eventually see me after 40+ lbs. gone- I can wait for [I]those[I]compliments![

sunback 06-11-2008 01:06 AM

OK, I have been dealing with the SAME thing lately. I have now officially lost 20 lbs and only gone down about 1 size (my 20's are getting way too lose, 18's are fitting pretty good, and I have 1 size 16 that fit snug but look gooood;)) NO ONE other than my hubby and my parents (and I'm not really sure I even believe them since they are my parents and know that I've been eating better so I think they're just trying to be nice and supportive...) have noticed or said anything. I can see some major differences in myself already, and of course that's all that really matters, but we all want to hear it from others sometimes. I've been shocked that my 2 best friends haven't said anything yet (I see one of them at least once a week, the other one I only see every couple of weeks). I've really been trying to figure out if it's just not that noticable to them yet OR if they are maybe just a tad bit jealous... either way it sucks when the people you most care about don't take notice...

southofriver 06-11-2008 07:16 PM

I've only lost 5lbs so wouldn't expect people to notice yet. However, a couple of people have said "oh, that top suits you / fits well" when I'm sure they've seen me in it before, so I'm taking that as a good sign. It sounds like you are doing really well, so be proud of yourself and ignore this girl!

How many pounds does one generally have to lose before going down a size in clothes, out of interest?

taragettingthin 06-11-2008 10:17 PM

Southofriver Someone asked the same question before and...although they generally say 1 size for each 10 lbs, it all really depends on individual. I remember some people lost 25 lbs and went down a size, whereas some people lost 10 lbs and went down 2 sizes.

scorpio88 06-11-2008 10:28 PM

^^ I agree. For me, it's about every 10-15lb but then again, at 135 and 145, I was the same size (7). At 150 I was still a size 7. At my current weight of 139, I am in a size 6, and depends on the store, I can fit into a size 5. Which is funny because when I was 135 in January, I wasn't even a size 6. I think I may be gaining muscle.

Starrynight 06-11-2008 10:46 PM

Yeah, I mean when I had lost weight previously.. my close friends didn't notice or say anything (except for one friend, who is very vocal about people looking good and stuff).. but my classmates noticed and said something.. or I would notice people who rarely gave me attention, stare at me.. and I've heard people talk about it too. I think it's just one of those things people aren't sure whether or not to comment on. People REALLY noticed my loss during Phys. Ed class of all things, I think it was that I was wearing the same baggy clothes everytime.
I'm SURE you look different, 20 lbs and the size difference is a lot. It may be that you see people regularly and sometimes people don't notice until someone points it out. As for the girl who said that, don't care about her, she is just being mean for whatever reason (insecurities, jealous that you're getting attention)..
Also.. when I lost 20 lbs.. only a couple people noticed.. I think people were waiting to see if I was really losing weight or not.. because when I lost 30+ lbs.. now THAT'S when people started opening their mouths. Kinda like.. they weren't sure if I had lost weight or not.. and when I hit a certain amount it was waaay too obvious to ignore..
That might be what's happening with you as well.

taragettingthin 06-11-2008 11:23 PM

Scorpio If you've been working out, it must be the muscle that let you fit into smaller size.

Last time I was on a diet using WW, and no workout, I lost 17 lbs and was at 186. I went and bought some clothes. Then I gained all and some more back and ended up at 208. Some clothes, I could still wear but was tight. Some, I couldn't even close the button. Now I lost about 13 lbs so far by eating better and exercising and am at 195ish. I can wear most of the clothes I bought when I was 186. Some actually fit me better now, some are even lose on me. I know I gained muscle because I can feel them on my arms and legs. Even my tummy feels tighter. I think this explains why some people may weigh 140 and wears size 6 where some people weigh the same and wear size 10. ;)

anewme625 06-12-2008 06:34 AM

I think people notice your weight loss, I think they just dont bring it to your attention because they dont want to acknowledge it.

prepping 06-12-2008 11:57 AM

I got myself into a bit of a rut because of the fact that I wasn't having anyone making comments to my weight loss. Basically lost my direction because no one seemed to be noticing. It's after a month of screwing up my eating that I finally internalized that I'm doing this for myself and that other people's opinions are a perk -- not a sign of my success.

So I say forget about other people. If your clothes fit better and you feel better in general, then you KNOW you are looking good! And that will be the motivation to keep on plan and achieve your goals! :D

sh3l5 06-12-2008 01:07 PM

theres also the factor that people who see you often wont notice so much as some one that doesnt....