3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   THE NEW RUNNING THREAD (since the old one is gone :() (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/143192-new-running-thread-since-old-one-gone.html)

bida 06-06-2008 09:32 PM

THE NEW RUNNING THREAD (since the old one is gone :()

:dizzy:

ok so today is not my day off - need to get those miles accrued as a base...hoping knee won't flair up.

how goes it out there?

Lyria 06-07-2008 05:53 AM

Oooo...the running thread!

It's winter here now so my running is limited to either the weekend or the treadmill at the gym :(

However! I did go for a nice one this afternoon. It was actually a slightly new route and worked out to be roughly 10km or 6.25 miles, took about 50 minutes to complete. Was such lovely weather for it!

I've been attacking the treadmill at the gym as well trying to get there in the mornings (very sporadic at the moment - definitely need to get the motivation together!) but mostly getting there after work. It's been good for interval training and small sprints.

silver plum 06-07-2008 07:00 PM

Hey girls!

I just got back from a 40 min run. It's kind of hot outside so I went fairly slowly...not sure how far I went cause I was going through some parks.

I am going on a hike tomorrow so probably wont get a run in until Monday night. I hope to try to do intervals... we shall see!

Lyria 06-07-2008 09:44 PM

Went for a treadmill run this morning - 30 minutes over 6.3 kms at 12kmph with intervals at 14kmh. I really do prefer outdoors since there is so much more to keep the mind occupied!

I would have gone longer but I had a pump class to go to afterward and I didn't want my legs toooo burnt out before the squat track lol.

rai 06-08-2008 05:30 PM

Hi ladies,

Trying to get back into long distance running. Plan is to run 3 days a week for an hour. My pace is 5.0 mph (when I'm focused), but want to be able to run at 6.0 for an hour.

Rai

Lyria 06-08-2008 07:45 PM

Back in from a run this morning - bless long weekends! The weather is actually really really nice for running by about 9:30am-ish (before that its bloody freezing!)

Went around one of my usual routes - 5 miles in about 40 minutes - and enjoyed it. Thats despite having some very stiff leg and arse muscles! I did Pump class yesterday after not having done it for about a week and oh yeah...my bum was feeling it this morning lol.

bida 06-09-2008 03:37 AM

hehe - I have not gone running since two days ago :( my knee has been bumming me out - so i've been icing (though I did go dancing last night) and icing some more.... :(
ohh but I did a sprint thing on friday - it was fun - I did it to a very fast arrangement of hall of the mountain king by grieg - its about 2:19 - and by the end you are killing yourself to keep up with the momentum - I urge you to try it out!!!

taragettingthin 06-09-2008 04:07 AM

Running... Upto about 2 weeks ago, it was nice outside and I had no problem with running...but it seems like summer's already here and it's soooo HUMID I feel like I can't even breathe, let alone run. Too bad I don't have access to treadmill... Well, at least I can still work out different stuff with the lovely DVD player. ;)

silver plum 06-10-2008 02:44 AM

^^ It's getting hot here too. I postponed my run until 9 (also so the neighbors wouldn't see me attempt to sprint :p).

But I finally tried to run intervals by myself! I used to do them in bootcamp and it's easy to sprint when someone is yelling at you... but I have never found the motivation to do it myself.

It went well though! I made a playlist where I alternated 90 second songs with 30 second songs and would alternate jogging (90 seconds) and sprinting (30 seconds). I did this for 3.6 miles - I was definately sweating at the end.

I don't really know anything about running intervals but this was a fun change none the less.

Lyria 06-10-2008 03:53 AM

I used to run intervals when I was running with my boyfriend. He was a great one for motivation - I'm a bit the same as you, I find it easy to do them when I am being yelled at...not so much when left to my own devices lol.

I found a way to beat myself though. I got a heart rate monitor for Christmas and its like having a little accountability meter on your wrist. If you slack off it shows! I like trying to get my heart rate into anerobic - hold it there till I can't possibly any longer - and then drop back.

Didn't run today, I actually had a day off...even the gym! *gasp* Thats okay, tomorrow makes up for it with Pump in the morning and an hour of RPM (spin) in the evening - I might even get there early and do a quick 15 minute warm up run on the treadmill. That'll count towards my running contribution lol.

nutrition junkie 06-10-2008 10:51 AM

I went for my first run today in about a month. I've never been a good runner at all, but when i'm getting back into it i'm especially bad. I made it .75 miles before i had to stop to walk. But I'm just happy i got out and did something, anything at all this morning. I went at 6:30am and it was already 93 degrees and humid.

bida 06-10-2008 01:56 PM

hey all - I went running yest - prob about 3ih - but yeah - to interval I do one of two things - either design a playlist like you did targeting thin - or I designate a certain area of my run as sprint area - it's easier at the track (where one lap here is 1/4 mile) - so i'll run one lap regular then one lap at the straightaways I'll tear it up (well my version of tearing which is not that terrifying ;º))

anyway - back to my run - so my knee maybe was hurting in the beginning - then I stretched it - so it was ok - then my right ankle was maybe hurting - but I got over it - and then at the end - at the walk - my knee was most def stressed - so I did some strange walking - but it was fine when I got home - I iced it last night for a while (while watching season finale of biggest loser - wow must I say! (I dont' watch the show, but it was posted on hulu.com - so I watched it - I'm an addict of TV) and this morning i think it is ok... we shall see!

-B

prepping 06-10-2008 02:22 PM

Hi all! Read through all of your posts and it started a little spark under my butt to make an effort to go running before work tomorrow morning. ... Maybe if I can light a fire under the hubby's butt too then I might have a partner for a light jog after work today.

Anyone ever do the "suicide box" popular with bootcamp type workouts? How silly do you think it would look doing it by yourself first thing in the morning? well, with a pup too of course.

silver plum 06-11-2008 03:23 AM

Hi Prepping - what is the suicide box? Doesn't sound too fun from its name :p

I just did a 3 mile run tonight - had a few beers beforehand (had to celebrate the Laker's win!) so didn't go super fast. Hopefully I will get a better one in tomorrow.

And Lyria - you have me looking at heart rate monitors online right now! Do you use yours a lot?

Lyria 06-11-2008 08:06 AM

Silver - I use it all the time. It really is the best little motivator and it gives you a good measure of how your heart is strengthening through the cardio work outs. The faster your heart rate drops to normal after a hard work out the fitter you are becoming.

It also stops you from slacking off half way through a run because all you need is a quick look at the watch to see your rates dropped!