3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   n00b with a question (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/140673-n00b-question.html)

Kriket84 04-24-2008 02:24 PM

n00b with a question

So, I'm 5'8" and built like a tank. My shoulders are really really wide and my hips and bum, not so much. My goal weight is 165.

What do you ladies think? Is this good enough? I see a lot of other 5'8" girls shooting for 145 or lower. My sister (built the same) is about 5'5" and 140 and looks slim and healthy. So what do you ladies think. will I be healthy at 165ish?

griffogrubb 04-24-2008 02:29 PM

For 5'8" 165 lbs sounds pretty good to me. I don't really think that matters though. I think it matters more that you're comfortable with yourself and the weight you're at than the number the scale reflects. You'll defiinitely be healthier and, as long as you're happy, that's all that should matter. Good Luck to You!!!

bjeweled 04-24-2008 04:39 PM

hi kriket!

i'm 5'8" and my goal is about 150 -155. my reason is because i want to be at a healthy BMI but not too small. I used to be very athletic and thin but i'm 25 i dont think i need to be 140 lbs. i just chose what i feel will be comfortable for me and my build. i am not a big boned or naturally thick person so i feel i COULD be 140 but i dont want to be. 164 is the high weigh for a healthy BMI for 5'8" so see if you like what u see when you get there and if not continue to lose. if so, stick with it. everyone's different. i am tiny up top compared to my hips thighs butt and legs so a goal weight would look diff on me than u and vice versa. you'll figure out whats comfortable...good luck

MCheyenne6 04-24-2008 04:41 PM

Its about how you feel about yourself at that weight. 165 for 5'8'' is at least healthy

modkittn 04-24-2008 04:47 PM

:welcome2: Kriket! Our stats are about the same, and my goal is 162. Any lower than that, and I have trouble maintaining it. I also have wide shoulders, but I have wide hips too (your classic hourglass). I have to second Griff - what really matters is that you are comfortable when you are at goal. You can always re-evaluate when you get close to it and see if you want to stick with the 165 or go lower!

bjeweled 04-24-2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modkittn (Post 2167144)
:welcome2: Kriket! Our stats are about the same, and my goal is 162. Any lower than that, and I have trouble maintaining it. I also have wide shoulders, but I have wide hips too (your classic hourglass). I have to second Griff - what really matters is that you are comfortable when you are at goal. You can always re-evaluate when you get close to it and see if you want to stick with the 165 or go lower!

kittn and kriket:
our stats are about the same. yay! tall girls lol.

Feral 04-24-2008 06:30 PM

Hey! I'm 5'7'' and I'm shooting for 135, but that really may change in all honesty. I've gotten down to about 150 before and definitely looked healthy but personally wanted to weigh a little less.

I do remember a friend of mine in high school that was 5'8'' and got down to 121 and was very sickly looking. Hence the reason that mine really may be more in the range of 140-145.

160 is definitely a great goal for you! If you like how you look, stick to it. If you want to loose a little less you can set a new goal and you still won't have much farther to go!!!!

just keep swimming 04-24-2008 06:44 PM

Sadly, I am not 5'8". :) However, mandalinn82 (one of the moderators) is maintaining at 5'8" and 162 and looks fabulous! (Hopefully she doesn't think I'm creepy for remembering that... :lol:)

leela0730 04-24-2008 07:20 PM

Hi Kriket!

I am 5'8.75" and I am aiming for 168 as my final goal...this puts me just under the upper limit for a healthy BMI. It has been so long since I have weighed 160-anything that I really don't know if I could go any lower than that and manage it long term. I have lost 15 lbs already, and have 12 more pounds to go...this seems reasonable if I can get my exercise act together!!

I think your goal sounds very reasonable, especially since it sounds like you do have a larger frame and bone structure....I do too (wide shoulder, wide hips...). I inherited my dad's build and my mom's weight distribution! :) I think you will do well, but remember it's always more about how you feel and less about the actual number...you may decide to maintain at a higher weight if it feels healthy to you, or you may find that your body frame can manage a lower weight. Just keep on working toward your goal, and you'll see results!! :)

Thousandsunny 04-24-2008 08:08 PM

Sup, Kriket. I'm 5'8" and I'm actually aiming for 175. I, like you, am built like a tank and as such, feel fine at 175; the weight I was on the college rugby team. I was fine at 175 and I think you'll be fine at 165 but as others have said, it's all about how you feel.

net knee 04-24-2008 09:16 PM

Hey I'm 5'9" and like you, I am built like a tank! I have a typical hourglass figure but i'm a pretty big hour glass! hehe... My goal is set for 160 because I remember when I weighed that much before and have pictures from back then and I'd be happy with that look again, even though back then i thought i was a heifer anyways. (dumb teenager stage of mine):dizzy:

KatieLeighVOLS 04-24-2008 10:49 PM

Hi! I'm one of those girls you talked about who is 5'8'' and shooting for a lower goal--my goal is 135. In Weight Watchers, the healthy weight for 5'8'' is, I believe, 132-164. As Feral said, I had a point in weight loss that I got down to 120--and it was NOT pretty!!! It's all about being HEALTHY! Really, it just depends on what you feel comfortable with. Also, the number is not a "magical" thing, even though we make it into that :) If you are overall a healthy person with less body fat, and if you lose inches and your clothes fit you better, that's what counts more than that special number!!! Good luck!!!

LittleBigGirl 04-25-2008 01:29 AM

Hi! :wave: I'm 6'0" and I'm aiming for 165 to 155 but that my change as I get closer. I also hope to gain a lot of muscle and I know that I may end up weighing more but look how I want in the end.:strong:

Lyria 04-25-2008 03:27 AM

Hello!

I'm 5'6 and actually more interested in lowering my overall body fat than my weight. I'd like to be about 18% BF - currently I'm at 20%

My goal weight though was around 135 and I'm about 138 at the moment - my original goal when I very first started was 120 pounds and I DID get there but I looked awful and I couldn't maintain it. Ironically I am the same size and measurements now with all the extra muscle as I was back at the stick insect 120!

As the other girls have said its all about how you feel and where you are comfortable and healthy at.

Kriket84 04-25-2008 09:25 AM

thanks all, Thats what I was kinda thinking. get to 165 then decide. I do think that I have a tendency to hold more weight (nurses are always suprized at how much I really weigh :D )

everyone here is so kind! I defiantly think I found my support!