Old 04-17-2008, 06:52 PM   #16  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Boy, am I glad I work in a town that is super granola/green/veggie oriented where the vegetarians *almost* outnumber the Prius'... at least I'm allowed to eat in peace.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #17  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

I love it when someone who has never dieted a day in their life tries to give me diet advice, it's great. And then after lecturing me they go and grab a jelly donut...sigh. Just smile and ignore it, then at least they'll feel good about themselves and you can still go merrily on with your diet ways.
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #18  
No pain, no gain.

Height: 6'3"

Haha I have heard the whole "you're not big you're just tall" thing tooooo many times.

Well I'm big AND tall. I like being tall, I just don't like being big. Thank goodness that is the one thing I can change.

Last edited by glitterlicious; 04-17-2008 at 07:02 PM.
glitterlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 305/300/1-236/2-180

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitterlicious View Post
dude I hear ya.

Most of my friends are about 5'2"-5'6" and size 6 and under. I tell them I'm going on a diet and they're all trying to nice and be like "Christine don't you don't need to you're soo skinny" or telling me I'm starving myself.

First of all, yes I need to. You might cry because you're not fitting into your size 0's that day (I actually have had a friend in tears come to me with this dilemma). Well I'm wearing friggen size 18's. And second of all, eating a salad instead of fries is a healthy choice, not starving myself.

I do love my friends, but they are often give misguided advice.

Same here!! I hate it when they come to me with their delima of 'oh i had to go up to a size 2' Like I really care!!!
Rayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:26 AM   #20  
Can't wait till 170

S/C/G: 225/187/130

Height: 5'7"

When I was in high school, I had a friend who was from Greece. She wore junior size 0 and sometimes even that was too big. One day, I asked where she wanted to go eat for lunch and that I was thinking about going to the BK. (we went to school on U.S. army base in Italy...so during lunch, we could pretty much go anywhere...) She said "I'm just going to get a yogurt because I'm on a diet." !!!!!!!!!!!!!! At this time, I think I weighed about 180-190? I don't know, we didn't have a scale at home. Anyways..so I said "WHAT? If you are going on a diet, then I AM, TOO!!!!!!!!" She then told me that we can go get the BK because I don't need to go on a diet, as I wasn't fat or big at all!!!
Well, I know she didn't mean anything bad by it, but still...
So I know exactly what you mean.
taragettingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:07 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 247/222/154

Height: 5ft 7

I go through this with my Mam. She is a uk size 8 and is always telling me that she needs to lose weight while I am struggling. But in the next breath she can tell me not to lose to much even though I need too. It really grates on me. it's like she's making it into a competition when I have enough difficulty as it is.

The piece of advice she never tires from giving is that she just has a biscuit for breakfast then her tea. So when she knows that I'm supposed to have a proper breakfast and lunch she always tells me she doesn't know how I can eat so much. it doesn't matter to her that it's healthier. GRRRR and when I go there she is always offering me biscuits or chocolate never anything else and saying that it wont matter. I take my lunch there with me now.

Good job she's my Mam...
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:20 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

The people at my work don't exactly give dieting advice, but they do like to tell me what I'm "allowed" to eat. Most times that bothers me more than people trying to give advice.

I passed a co-worker yesterday who had gotten take-out burgers for lunch, and I said "that smells good" and I walked by in the hall. She turned around and said "yes, and it's delicious, but YOU'RE not allowed to have any because you're on a DIET." It actually made me really angry, I told her that I was "allowed" to eat whatever I wanted, and it was a choice not to put fast food in my body. Grr.
Katheryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:47 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

I understand what you are going through. We had plenty of girls like that when I was in grad school. Luckily, right now I work with a bunch of guys who are so focused on feeding themselves, they don't really notice what I'm eating or doing. The one girl who works with me is of the 6 ft-size 0 variety (maybe she's a size 2, she has been complaining about her thighs recently). She gives me dieting tips but to her credit, some of them have actually been helpful and have made me look into some foods I had not eaten consistently before.
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

Nice to see I'm not alone on this! I take it light-hearted enough really. People will really give advice on anything from diets to finances to what's the best herbal medication to get rid of a nasty feminine itching problem (not that I have been the recipient of that last tid-bit).
What I have found is that "eating healthy" isn't a good enough excuse anymore because you'll still have that piece of pizza or doughnuts or whatever still shoved in your face because "you're not fat"... so I use a scapegoat -- "a girl's gotta watch her bridal figure to fit in that wedding dress!".... people tend to miraculously zip up after that.
Eating healthy = bad.
Crazy obsessive bride = understandable.

btw, starting your RRSPs as early as possible is a great long-term investment strategy to go along with a well-balanced life and health insurance plan and Xian-Xian Chinese Herbal Feminine Wash will take care of that itch in no time... but you may have desire to eat large quantities of chinese food afterwards which wouldn't go well for any diet plan.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 245/178/145

Height: 5'4

Unless advice is requested, it should not be given. Especially, in such a sensitive issue. I two different kinds of skinny aquaintences, the ones who are liars and tell me I don't need to lose weight (skinny heifers!! LOL), and my skinny the ones who nod sympathetically and say "Good for you!". I much prefer the honest ones, but that doesn't mean I need their advice.
QueenBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #26  
this is my time

S/C/G: 200/174/135

Height: 5'6"

i have a few more words of wisdom. this is something a friend told me a few years ago.

Nothing can get to you unless you let it.
mrsaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #27  
Made of Starstuff

I actually don't mind taking advice from anyone (regardless of what they look like) as long as the advice makes sense... or they can give me reference information.

I mean... it has to be given the right way, of course. Someone can't just point to my food and go "That's unhealthy... blah blah blah." (Because that's all I'll hear of whatever else comes out of their mouth. )

But if they bring up the subject of health or food in general, and talk about what they've heard it can be interesting... and of course, sometimes humorous!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:09 PM   #28  
TBL "JB" Blue Team

S/C/G: 285.1/ticker/155

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWalrus View Post

One bonus -- that's also a negative -- for us is that in my experience, the weight doesn't show up as much as if we were shorter, so the littler folks don't necessary realize what we've got going on.
God I hear you sister. I'm 6 ft tall and a size 26 but because I'm so tall I was able to fool myself about my weight until I hit a size 22. Sigh.

Plus I work with professional actors/dancers... I tower over the men. In pictures I take up the same space as three of them. Needles to say I'm not a fan of pictures. And some of them have the worst eating habits I've ever seen. Not most but some. Company parties make me feel like Godzilla trying not to step on all the little screaming people.
LittleBigGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

I think a lot of time, people like to give diet tips because they want you to succeed and want to be part of that success.
ShannanA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:42 AM   #30  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I think the whole point is, IF I ask, then GREAT! But if I haven't asked you for your advice, just because you know I'm trying to lose weight before my wedding (not only for that reason), doesn't mean you can give me advice. I am very open to sound advice and talking about food finds and nutrition. But the person who told me that I should avoid coffee and only eat fruit in the morning... I'm not so sure about her. She DID lose about 100lbs in 3 months. I am very sorry and don't mean to offend, but I don't want to take advice from someone who lost weight unhealthily (she says herself she did it unhealthily) and someone who also doesn't eat normally now (she only eats "soft" food and candy!!).
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote