Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Need some willpower!

I'm going to Renfest today and boy do I know I'm gonna want to chow down on the food there! I'm doing so well and I don't want to ruin it. I'm going to envision my scale everytime I smell something scrumptious...at least that's what I'm hoping. This is my first big challenge since starting my new way of life. Anything you guys do to help keep yourself from temptations?
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 AM   #2  
*Courtney Rae*

S/C/G: 245/217/160

Height: 5'5

I always treat myself. Sometimes once a week i will have something i have been craving. It kinds gives me something to look forward to. If i gain i dont treat myself because i havent accomplished anything. My advice is to eat just a little of one thing that you are really craving. This way the craving wont take over your whole day and you wont be thinking about it all the time. Just remember not to overindulge. GOOD Luck and have fun!
CandyKisses0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I agree with Candykisses, have a little bit of something that you really like. Remember this is a lifestyle...if you deprive youself you will just become bitter and resentful. For me, allowing indugences once in a while keeps me from binging in the future. The other day we had a carnival in town, i took the kids and there it was....a sign for funnel cakes. Ok, what to do? So the old me would have bought me and the kids all our own funnel cake. Or i could just ignore the funnel cake stand and be kind of fussy that others could eat them but i couldnt. So this time, there were four of us, we got ONE funnel cake and split it. It was actually TOO sweet, BUT moderate is a great tool. Crisis averted.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/142.6/132

Height: 5'6"

Sometimes I come across food at a party or large gathering that I REALLY want to try and it looks incredibly unhealthy. Let's take a cheese danish for example. I will usually take one in front of everyone to make it look like I'm participating. I cut a small piece of it onto my plate, and then discretely and immediately throw the rest of it out to remove the temptation. I feel bad because I was raised to not waste food, but if I keep the whole thing on my plate, the temptation is hard to resist and it will go straight to my waist instead. This way I get to indulge in the "bad" food a little. If this cheese danish cost me $2.95, then it is obviously costing me money to throw it out. I try to look at it as $2.95 is what the cost of an appropriate serving size for me is, not the actual cost of the entire calorie-laden danish. Besides when you look in the trash can, you'll see plenty of other people throwing away half eaten sandwiches and other things so it's not just you.

Of course if you are going to this Renfest alone or with just very few close friends who know and understand your new lifestyle, then I think it will be easier to completely pass up on temptation by thinking about your scale, like you said. If your friends buy some tempting items, you could ask to try just 1 bite of it to satisfy the craving a little, I've done this before too.

If I'm at home, I do it a little differently. I will cut a small piece of that same cheese danish onto my plate and put the rest of it in the fridge to eat another day. This way I'm not being wasteful but it's usually not possible to do this at a party so in the trash it goes.

Edit: I agree with what Gen n Healthy said too. My family used to do this all the time at fairs. The four of us would all split one funnel cake, cotton candy, pretzel, packet of fries, you name it. My brother or I got to pick the one food thing we would all be sharing on that trip to the fair. We all got to indulge a little and no one was eating in excess. We still do this when I'm with them, but when I go to things by myself with people who don't understand eating healthy or sharing, it's harder to do.

Last edited by orthodiva; 04-19-2008 at 12:34 PM.
orthodiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 01:48 PM   #5  
SE Asia, baby

S/C/G: 232/141/132

Height: 5'5

Well, if you've been to this kind of shindig before maybe you could plan on one thing that you're going to treat yourself, like a small ice cream cone or something. Then you could promise yourself that that is all you're going to splurge on. One thing that helps me in the face of cheese sticks, chicken fingers, and basically anything that is thrown into a huge vat of grease or smothered in cheese is to think how gross I feel after chowin' down on it! It ususally helps me!

Hope you have fun!
graciegoose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #6  
Taking Care of Me

S/C/G: 252/221/140

Height: 5'5"

Great tips from everyone. The only thing I would add is to make sure you don't go hungry.
chay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195.5/182.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I splurged a bit, but didn't really go overboard, so I didn't completely blow the plan. (I'm on Medifast and right now I'm not supposed to really have ANYTHING off plan.) I had a few bites of a pretzel and a glass of wine. They had the BEST looking brownies! I so wanted one, but I resisted and I feel great about that! Now I do feel kind of gross, but I don't know if it's because of being in the sun all day & being a little grimy or because of the pretzel & wine. I really think it's mostly the grime!

(I also had a couple chicken on a sticks and a ton of water, so it's not like I didn't eat anything all day...just the grilled chicken is actually on plan.)

Oh well! I had a ton of fun and don't really regret the off-plan food. I'll just have to stick with it even more in the next few days.

Thanks again for all your great advice!!!

Last edited by LiLi Gettin Thin; 04-19-2008 at 09:58 PM.
LiLi Gettin Thin is offline   Reply With Quote