Old 04-06-2008, 12:04 PM   #16  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffogrubb View Post
Hahaha, that's great, I hope guys really don't ask girls out like that. The Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra is doing their spring masterpiece thingamajig and I asked to go to me with that on one of the night's they were playing. I know that may sound like a weird date idea and I might've shot myself in the foot by asking her to go to that, but I figured it was original and something that would've been memorable for both of us. I mean, how many times does a guy ask you to dinner and an orchestra?
WHERE ARE THESE GUYS THAT TAKE GIRLS TO THE SYMPHONY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I searched high and low for a guy that would just take me to the symphony and NOTHING. My fiance takes me, but he didn't just say when we met, "Can I take you to the symphony?" He had to learn that it's one of my favorite things in the world.

Also, Griff, for what it's worth, he's a nice guy too. There are a lot of girls- ahem, women- out there that know what catch a nice guy is.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:24 PM   #17  
I will do this.

Seriously! The symphony??? I am studying opera and would have killed to have been asked to the symphony! (Until my I met my man, he takes me to musicals.....and keeps his eyes open!)

Last edited by Taylor86; 04-06-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #18  
Made of Starstuff

I'm gonna have to be another one who is shocked and pleasantly surprised about the symphony. I mean... holy crap.

About the chick, who knows? Honestly, I'm another girl who is confused by other girl actions. It does come down to the fact that all humans are crazy.

I like the idea of just asking her. Depending on her answer you can act accordingly. For example if she says she just likes flirting with you, (and you don't particularly enjoy it) then you can tell her to stop/pull away when she tries etc.

Either way, you're completely deserving of a sweet girl to go out with. So, don't let this little disappointment hold you down
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #19  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

So, my post is late, and pretty OT - but I live in Jax and was wondering if you were talking about Viva Opera, Viva Verdi! If so, she's silly. Or culturally challenged. That is going to be AMAZING. My friends and I are going Thursday night.
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:56 PM   #20  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Height: 5'8"

Yeah, it is. I really enjoyed AIDA and I know they're doing acts II and III from that and then some other classic opera pieces. It's just really fun, really beautiful stuff, I was actually looking forward to going. Ah well. As for talking to her about it, I dunno. I don't really like to chase girls at all, I've been rejected so many times by this point that it's just like...whatever. We'll see I guess.
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Griff, I wouldn't sweat this girl. When she tries to extend physical contact, just find some polite way to untangle yourself from her. She'll get the hint, and realize she messed up!
Nice guys are hard to find, but they do get found by other nice girls. I married one--he's the most patient man ever, and he puts up with me. You're a cutie, kiddo!!!
Where do you go to meet girls? Are you in college, or bar hopping or what? Or maybe you're one of those sweet guys that girls feel safe around and consider "one of the girls". My husband was one of those shy guys who had lots of platonic girl friends, but no real girlfriend until I woke up and realized what a catch he was.
Hang in there!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #22  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

Just for future information (you may already know) - You can get Soundcheck cards online really cheap that will get you in (as a student) to tons of the performances. I think they are 20 dollars or so, and they include admission to several of the Masterworks series, as well as the other series they do.
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #23  
I will do this.

Jealous! Jealous!

Denver is not much of an opera town

But LA TRAVIATA IS COMING! I am going to go to that.

La Boheme has to be my favorite. Or M. Butterfly...

Last edited by Taylor86; 04-06-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

griff -- I think anything that everyone's saying on here COULD be right -- I think the best thing to do might be to talk to her about it. And if she IS leading you on, it's not nice/attractive.

You seem, honestly, to be a really great person from what little I know of you. You are so supportive of everyone here, and CLEARLY you have a TON of strength based on your weight loss. Any girl would be lucky to have you!! And I don't think (at all!) that you're a "stereotypical" nice guy

ETA: TAYLOR -- Boheme is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE OPERA OF ALL TIME!!

Last edited by artsnsmarts; 04-06-2008 at 10:16 PM.
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:20 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffogrubb View Post
Yeah, it is. I really enjoyed AIDA and I know they're doing acts II and III from that and then some other classic opera pieces. It's just really fun, really beautiful stuff, I was actually looking forward to going. Ah well. As for talking to her about it, I dunno. I don't really like to chase girls at all, I've been rejected so many times by this point that it's just like...whatever. We'll see I guess.
Ok, all things aside, SERIOUSLY, a hot, nice guy who likes the opera?? Honey, you are a Super Catch! And any girl who can't see that is not worth your time. All the girls who ever rejected you just don't deserve you anyway.
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #26  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Honestly...sometimes when a girl knows a guy likes them, even if the feelings aren't reciprocated, she wants to keep them liking her because it's a confidence boost and she gets attention and all that... On a less cynical note, is she a really good friend? Maybe the idea of dating a friend weirded her out a little? Or maybe she didn't want to ruin the friendship. Thing is, if that were the case I would expect her to give you some kind of explanation instead of just sending all these mixed signals. I think you're on the right track in not chasing her...doesn't seem like she's worth the effort.

And the symphony? Seriously? That's a wicked idea. Even if someone wasn't "into" that kind of music it's totally original and creative idea for a date. She'd have to be crazy to say no just because of that.
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Okay, so this may not be what's going on, but here's my two cents.

When a woman is not ready to settle down, nice guys scare the living daylights out of her! Even if she is attracted to them! Even when they (the guy) aren't even on the fast track to getting serious!

At least this was the case with me (when I was single.) I'd meet a nice guy and flirt and be really in to them and then I'd scare them away once interested. Yet I would happily date the bad boys that treated me poorly. I know it makes no sense, but after I wised up and married a really nice guy I started to wonder what was wrong with me all those years... and the conclusion I came up with was that I just wasn't ready and yet couldn't admit this to myself.

My advice would be to find a nice girl whose into Opera and forget about this one.

Last edited by zenor77; 04-07-2008 at 02:51 AM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 AM   #28  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Thanks a lot everyone, I don't know if I'm everything that you're saying, but I appreciate it. I'll just let it go, no sense in worrying about one girl, ya know? You guys are great, Thanks!
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:39 AM   #29  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

I know some girls who act like that with guy friends that they have been friends with for years and years (not me, just saying. other girls). It could just be that she feels like you are a really good friend, and that is how she acts with really good friends. Do you ever see her acting like that with any other guys?

BTW, girls confuse me too. I'm super tomboy/geek. I don't get "girlie" girls at all
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #30  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

Height: 5'7"

Honestly...sometimes when a girl knows a guy likes them, even if the feelings aren't reciprocated, she wants to keep them liking her because it's a confidence boost and she gets attention and all that...

I totally agree with rockstar on this one. I think she is possibly relishing the fact that you are interested in her. I would ask her straight out what is up. Not mean or anything, just next time she gives you one of those hugs simply tell her it makes you uncomfortable. My brother has had the same problems with girls. In high school he was overweight and had mild acne and showed no outward interest in girls. He a lot of weight several years ago and has become a very handsome guy and now girls flock to him{he lives in Florida now as well}. I know he feels the same way that you do about not getting any attention before and now girls want to flirt and what not. It's pretty pathetic on their part. Good luck on what you decide to do. Try to distance yourself from her and go to the symphony with a guy friend and try to find you a wonderful woman there.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote