Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/249/169

Height: 6'2"

Arrow Guy Nutrition Major/What Have I Got Into!!!

Here I am 21 years old, a nutrition major, dieting again!

A little about me, I was always big growing up, but in high school decided it was time to finally be the "me" I knew I felt inside. I lost 65lbs then and kept it off for about 4 years. Then it seemed a lot of things in my life starting heading south - my parents divorced, etc. The weight has been slowly coming back, and now BAM, I really feel it's time to kick myself in the butt again. I've tried dieting and working out more on and off for the past couple years and I just can't make it work. It was a random diet that stuck last time, and I'm hoping, with this, my 1st support group, I can make it work again.

So to whoever is out there, this is my cosmic cry for help! I'm tired of not feeling "me" anymore. I guess I'm just looking for someone else to start this with, as an optimistic I seem to be great at inspiring others, I guess I'm just hoping someone out there can be that muse for me!

Thanks for reading! -joel [/COLOR]
joelhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Hi Joel! Welcome to the forum. I think there are a couple of other guys floating around this forum (although not regularly). Everyone here is great and really supportive. Good luck and jump in and start posting.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there Joel!!!

You've lost it once. You can & you will lose it this time for good. We're big on supporting everyone around the site. Have a look around. You've already found the 20-somethings (a great place to start, too, such a friendly bunch), if you're following a program (like calorie counting) there are areas under Diet Central.

And although it's called "3 Fat Chicks" there are a number of other roosters around

So then. Keep on posting! Let us know how you're doing!

Best of success!!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Hey Joel! Nice to see another guy stop "lurking" and chat, ha ha! I know what you mean about not feeling like "me" anymore. The first time I saw my collarbones in 4 years, I was so excited and felt "me" again!
For what it's worth, I'm proud of you and I bet you'll do great!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #5  
Back in the Game

S/C/G: 132/125.2/120

Height: 5'6"

welcome! you've done it before, so you know you can do it again. you're already one step ahead!
moon fairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

Welcome to 3FC I think those of us who have been around the diet and weight loss block a few times know a lot about diet and nutrition. We've got all the knowledge tools, we obsessively read and watch everything to do with getting fit... but somehow, that whole "practicing what you preach" thing is very hard. For me, all of my obsessive research was almost a procrastination tool...so I didn't have to face the ultimate problem I was having--being fat!

I've taken a couple nutrition classes at the university I'm attending and what I learned was useful. You know what to do--it's your chosen field of study! I think at this point it's taking your tools and using them! What better way to serve your future clients than by proving through your own actions that the advice you give is valid! You can do this, and we're here to help
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 PM   #7  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

You can definitely make it work! I'm sure you'll find the support you need here...especially for those days when the whole diet/exercise thing seems too daunting. Like the others said, if you did it once you can do it again and it sounds like you already have the motivation you'll need!

Keep us posted!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 PM   #8  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

Welcome!
Like others have said, there are a few guys who post on here, though not many!
Good luck!
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

fellow Kansan! You live in a great walking town (well I like to walk around it anyway) and all my KU friends always complained about how huge the campus is and how far apart their classes were spread out. That's a good thing for someone trying to lose weight! Good luck on your journey!
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:12 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 251/249/169

Height: 6'2"

Thanks so much for the support so far, the first days are always a real testament. How do I get a permanent ticker? I filled out the info and got the code for it, but I'm not sure where to put it on my profile so that when I post, it goes with it?
joelhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 AM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Joelhawk - Unfortunately the tickers aren't available to members until they've been a member for 30 days & had 30 posts. (Grr... spammers ruin all the good fun for us!) But I promise the time will fly as you're getting back on track (It might even be a mini-goal to stick to it for at least 30 days until you get that ticker!)
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 AM   #12  

Welcome Joel! Glad to have you aboard, and good luck!
Arian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:36 AM   #13  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

6'2" and a goal weight of 169? So you want to be TRIM and LEAN... I mean, I'm a GIRL and I'm 6'1" and my goal for normal weight would be 180...

169... that would make you very very lean. Wow... yeah, my goal is not to be LEAN... just healthy.

But, hey--- you're taking the classes-- you know what you got to do. We're all smart people. we KNOW how to do it--- it's just a matter of DOING IT!

Good luck!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #14  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

Hi, and welcome! I am sure that you have all of the tools you need to be successful, you just have to decide to make the change. Have you chosen a plan yet? There are many people around this board who are very knowledgable...so many have been a great encouragement to me so far. Like others have said, you know you are capable of losing weight - that mindset is half of the battle! Good luck, and don't hesitate to post when you need some encouragement - that is what we are here for.

Last edited by MSTeacher; 03-26-2008 at 12:05 PM.
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

Height: 5'2

Hey Joel!
I usually don't post,but something about your thread really hit home to me. I'm only a couple pounds up from my goal weight, but I completely relate to not feeling like myself. I think it has more to do with the fact that its not like me not to plan my food, get my exercise in, and be happy, and proud of my body, and less to do with my actual physical appearance, or the number on the scale. My only advice would be to start there. Do things that are more "like" yourself, and surely the weight willl fall off

Welcome! And keep posting!
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote