Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #16  
No more fake foods!

S/C/G: 190/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

I agree with suitejudyblueeyes, I don't like to use disposable things. It's so wasteful. I have to save time too, I am on a busy schedule, but I just fill a pot with water, dump veggies into the steamer pot I put on top, and turn the stove on. Same (or close) amount of time IMO.
PurdueGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I always just steam in the microwave in a glass bowl or plate with a damp paper towl set over the top of the food or wrapping the food. I've steamed fish, frozen and fresh vegetables, and corn on the cob (haven't tried chicken). It doesn't use any extra dishes, because I eat off of the steaming dish if I'm cooking for just myself, or use it as the serving dish if I'm cooking for more people.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #18  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Kaplods - about how long do you do corn on the cob? Are you doing frozen or fresh?
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #19  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Fresh. In my old "good" microwave, about 2 minutes. In my crappy, cheap, current microwave about 3 minutes per ear.

If the corn is young and tender (the kernels are very small, often called milk teeth or "shoepeg"), I often cook it about half as long. Hubby does not like this at all, because while the corn is very hot, he says it's "still half raw."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #20  
Proud Mom of 6

S/C/G: 290/290/160

Height: 5'2"

They had some kind of steamer bags on TBL this week (not sure what they brand was), but the veggies and chicken both came out looking yummy and boy was it quick. I am definately picking some up this weekend!
lovinlifex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:49 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Wow I'm procrastinating working on a project so I just clicked on this thread -- folks have some strong feelings about plastic!

While I completely agree with those who are wary of plastics, microwaves and general wastefulness, I also just want to give hugs to those who feel so busy that their lives can't include cleaning a steamer basket. As someone with no children but plenty of babysitting experience, I can only imagine what it is like to have kids and need to cook healthfully!

I'll keep going with my steamer basket and stove, but that's just me...

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 240/266/143

Tupperware also makes a product called a "Microsteamer" which produces the same results and is a one-time investment. They are pricey on TW's website, but you can get them on eBay a third of the price.
JetSet1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 129/120.6/118

Height: 5'4.5

Sure, it's wasteful to use the bags, but eh, we're lazy. If something like that is going to make you eat healthier, then go for it! I hate washing stuff, too, and sometimes DH and I would just rather get some food from outside. It's a psychological thing. Cooking takes too long, etc., let me grab something quick and unhealthy. If these bags convince you to microwave something quick that is pretty healthy, then why not?
LabMonkeyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote