Old 02-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 308/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Question Loose skin question

So I have a good (well, moreso bad ) 85 pounds that I'd like to lose to meet my long term goal. I know I'm gonna have loose skin...that's just the way it goes. But I'm not sure exactly how much to expect since I'm relatively young (24), don't smoke, haven't had kids yet, etc. I was reading in a different thread about people struggling with lots of loose skin, but they were primarily in their 40s and 50s from what I could tell. Have any of you 20-somethings dealt with this yet? I know everyone's skin elasticity is different, but I just wanted to hear some general experiences.

Thanks!
Allison
alliegater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I lost just over 60 lbs and didn't have much of an issue with loose skin. I lost the weight at 29 and I've never had kids either. The only area I have a very tiny bit of crepe-i-ness (like the paper) is at the very bottom of my belly. Honestly, it's so minor I would probably have to point it out to someone (not that anyone sees that area beside my DH, but it really is very little.)

Who knows, maybe you won't have any loose skin at all.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

At 23 I lost 60 lbs and my skin looked pretty fabulous afterward (a couple of stretchmarks were visible only to me, faded and pretty much invisible really on my thighs and stomach). I'm 26 now and working on losing 70 in all (after having gained back the aforementioned weight +10..) and hoping it'll be not too terrible., but I am suspecting it will be worse since cortisone drugs were involved and it caused me to gain differently (that is, all in my torso).

But yeah, everyone's skin elasticity is different, you can only hope for the best and know that weighing less with some loose skin is still better and healthier than weighing more without the loose skin.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #4  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

I have loose skin already, and I'm only 1/2 way to goal...I've lost 75lbs, but I do have 2 children.
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:37 PM   #5  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I lost 100+ pounds when I was 28 and didn't have a problem with loose skin. While I was losing I did notice loose skin behind my knees (back side, inner legs), but it firmed up when I started firming up, jogging...

Sadly, 10 years later (Nove '07) I topped the scales at exactly my high weight then and am starting over. I've had 2 children in the past 4 years, and just given my age I'm expecting some loose skin.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 267/260/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo2SweetPeas View Post
....but it firmed up when I started firming up, jogging... .
Yeah, having read around the site in various threads it seems a lot of people have said this, that working out more helps them with skin issues more than just cutting calories. And if it doesn't, it won't hurt either. ^_^ When I lost 60 I was walking, jogging, and lifting weights constantly, which I should also mention when I say I had no loose skin problems then.
amy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 228/ticker/135

I've lost about 60 and have exactly what someone else mentioned above... just a bit of a crepe-like texture on the skin on my lower belly, otherwise, no big deal... no kids, don't smoke, but I do strength train 3-5 days a week.
dancingirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

I have loose skin. I'm 25, no kids, don't smoke, don't drink but have been obese (morbidly so prob for majority) since I was perhaps 14/15 years old.

I have the apron thing going on badly - I'm not sure how much of my 'tummy' is still weight to lose (I have another 27lbs to get to goal but have lost almost 104lbs) and how much is just skin; we shall see.

I also have the old bingo wings going on with my arms and some 'pooling' of skin around the tops of my thighs/above my knees - when I lay down with my legs up the skin just kinda repositions itself towards gravity lol.

I figure I'll get to goal, keep working hard at toning up and see how it goes. I've pretty much accepted that I'm going to need surgery though - this isn't just me being OTT about it - this apron is not going to miraculously lift itself up by two/three inches no matter how hard I work out.

Either way... rather be healthy n skinny (in the excess skin sense!) than fat and 'taut'
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/193/140

Height: 5'4"

I think it just depends on the individual. I'm 27, haven't had kids, don't smoke, etc. I once lost 60 pounds (*sigh* and gained it back), and had no loose skin whatsoever. I didn't have stretch marks then, and only have a few very light ones now. I'm still expecting loose skin this time around, just because I've gained and lost and gained and lost.

I have a friend, however, who is also 27 and hasn't had kids, and gets loose skin like crazy, even after losing a relatively small amount of weight. The only difference is I work out more than she does. A lot more.

I've heard making sure you moisturize well can help combat loose skin, but you should really do it while gaining, not just losing. Of course, most people don't realize that they're gaining so....
girl anachronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

I think mostly it's a case of wait and see... tis the bad thing about weightloss! We're all eagerly hunting for information and advice etc but there can never be one definitive answer - we're all different and as such have to make tweaks here and there to suit each lifestyle/body that we have
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 308/ticker/160

Height: 5'10"

Default follow up question

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl anachronism View Post
I didn't have stretch marks then, and only have a few very light ones now.
Thats another good point. I have quite a few stretch marks already, most I got probably in middle school or high school (they are pretty light now, but still quite noticeable). I've always been significantly overweight, but I don't feel like I would consider myself to have been dangerously obese (until maybe now, or at least not far from it)

How many of those people who lost weight and had very little loose skin already had quite a few stretch marks when they started to lose weight? Just wondering if they're related.

Thanks everyone who's already responded! The feedback has been very helpful! The "threat" of loose skin will in no way keep me from losing the weight, but it's still nice to be prepared!
alliegater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 09:08 PM   #12  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Hey!! Have you checked out this forum???

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=219

There are LOADS of threads there about loose skin and even a Skin FAQ sticky at the top of the page.

I am 23 and a co-mod over there, I have lost 137lbs and have had alot of plastic surgery. So.....I tend to post alot of my experiences if you care to peruse through the threads.

Mythbuster: Exercising will NOT tighten your skin NOR will moisturizing. Unfortunately. But I still recommend both for health!!

Last edited by shrinkingchica; 02-04-2008 at 09:10 PM.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I was just going to direct you to the same thread that Charlotte post it is amazing, Meg put a lot of work into it and it is so informative.

However on a personal not I'm 24, I've been obese (morbridly for awhile) my entire adult life, and I was a "fat" child (probable slightly obese). I have lost 131 pounds since May of 2006 and yes I have a lot of lose skin. And for that matter sagging boobs. At first it put me off about weight loss but now I realize it is a part of life and there is nothing I can do. I plan on getting surgery to fix it. The big debate is if I want to wait until after I had kids or get it done after I hit my goal.

IMHO lose skin is a small price to pay for my health.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliegater View Post
How many of those people who lost weight and had very little loose skin already had quite a few stretch marks when they started to lose weight? Just wondering if they're related.
I have no idea if they are related or not, but I've had stretch marks since puberty on my breasts and hips. I didn't get stretch marks from gaining and losing though, just from puberty.

On another note, I think it may depend partially on how you are built as well. The places that most women end up with loose skin are the places that my body stores fat. Regardless of how much weight I lose I will always have chunky thighs and a bit of a belly. There is just no way around that for me (darn genetics.) So I wonder if I don't have a problem with loose skin because I still have fat holding everything up in those areas? Just a thought.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 AM   #15  
Hot Mama

S/C/G: 201/192/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

i'm 27 w/ 2 kids and i've also had a c-section so i definetly have loose skin which is why i want a tummy tuck by the time i'm 30(i once was anti plastic surgery til i my first kid)
hubby tells me excersizing will help it go down(ah no my mother excersized for months 16 years after a c-section that belly doesnt not go flat or change shape)
when i gained and lost in my teens i never had a problem w/ loose skin but now its just kinda gross
lissa9501 is offline   Reply With Quote