Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #1  
I feel blah..

S/C/G: 217.5/193.0/140

Height: 5'3"

Default Gawking co-workers

How do you deal with co-workers who stare at you and the things you eat?

Most times I can feel eyes on me, and sure enough, they are looking.
It's even harder when they've seen you go from 170-220lbs in about 2 years.
Sneeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/194.5/135

Height: 5'5"

aww hun that's hard especially when you are going through enough to start with. Either they stare because your're fat, or because you're trying to be healthy. Can seem like a lose lose battle......but IT'S NOT! Don't worry about them just keep doing what you are doing, and in months to come they'll be staring because some of you is missing...otherwise....just kick them in the shin!
Kristine612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:15 PM   #3  
No description available.

Bleh. Ignore 'em. If anything, they probably think what you eat looks yummy and they wish they had it.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I'm lucky that I work with all men who are really never around. They couldn't care less what I eat. I'm sorry you have jerk co-workers. "ignore them" is easier said than done, but try.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #5  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

I know it is hard, ignore them. You are doing something good for yourself. This is about your health and improving your life. Ignore the gossipers and backstabbers. In the end, nothing shuts up people like results--they will wish they had your strength and willpower. Keep going!!!

When they are a pain in your side, think of what you will become and what you will end up looking like(a better version of yourself)! Good luck.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:22 PM   #6  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

just ignore them there prolly just jealous that u r taking the 1st step to good health.
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Sneeks,
That sucks! >:/

I agree that "ignore them" is easier said than done, but keep on doing what you're doing.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:40 PM   #8  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I think as overweight women, we tend to think people are looking at us for negative reasons even when they're not. It's possible that they're not really staring at you at all, but you feel like they are, ya know? Or, if they are, they may be looking at what you're eating and just thinking, "Man, that looks so healthy--I wish I had her dedication!" or even, "wow, her lunch looks much yummier than mine!" Just because they may be looking doesn't mean they are automatically thinking horrible things
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:45 PM   #9  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

My co-workers do that all the time! But it's like some sort of ritual--everybody does it, you'd think it's like kids looking at what other kids have brought for lunch today.

It is annoying at times, when some make remarks such as "whoa, you're eating diet food", but it's more annoying because it is in fact NOT diet food (vegetables, fish and rice are a balanced meal for me, not a 'diet meal' ).

More than often, though, my lunches look better than theirs, so I think they're just jealous.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:47 PM   #10  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I never noticed before if people were looking at what I was eating.

Now, though, coworkers comment ALL THE TIME about my lunch/snacks, especially if it's a new situation.

I worked with a wonderful group of women this summer and they were all primarily southern and were just fascinated with what I was eating (homemade salad "kits", plan avocado, sliced veggies). They just weren't used to seeing someone eat like that. But they were never rude, just inquisitive. And the remarks never bothered me anyway.

Now I just work with a bunch of boys and they are health nuts too, or just don't notice anything not right in front of them

Perhaps you are just self conscious, or perhaps they are just being rude. Either way, it's none of their concern. Just keep doing what you are doing (easier said than done, I know).

Last edited by junebug41; 01-31-2008 at 01:48 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #11  
I feel blah..

S/C/G: 217.5/193.0/140

Height: 5'3"

well I don't necessarily sit here eating health food. . .

I am doing WW. For lunch I usually have a subway sub or a ww tvdinner. They look at me like "you shouldn't be eating that" or when I have a afternoon snack...ugh
Sneeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:32 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeks View Post
well I don't necessarily sit here eating health food. . .

I am doing WW. For lunch I usually have a subway sub or a ww tvdinner. They look at me like "you shouldn't be eating that" or when I have a afternoon snack...ugh
Have you ever had confirmation that that is, in fact, what they are thinking? Have you ever said, "Whatcha lookin' at my food for?" to them? Reason I ask is, Subway and frozen dinners are incredibly common things for people to eat. I don't necessarily view it as junk food OR health food (although it can be either).
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:09 PM   #13  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Have you ever had confirmation that that is, in fact, what they are thinking? Have you ever said, "Whatcha lookin' at my food for?" to them? Reason I ask is, Subway and frozen dinners are incredibly common things for people to eat. I don't necessarily view it as junk food OR health food (although it can be either).
I agree--if you don't know what they're really thinking, I don't think it's fair to assume they're thinking bad things! I, for one, would be looking LONGINGLY at someone eating Subway--YUM!

Think about it this way: you assuming they're thinking you shouldn't be eating that is really just as rude as them actually assuming you shouldn't be eating something because of your weight. In both scenarios, the party being assumed about is likely made to appear worse than they really are, which is not fair of the "assumer" to do without knowing for sure.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 260.7/153/130

Height: Almost 5 foot 6

Mine did it and still do it but I kind of took the same approach to that as I do in the gym when I 'think' everyone is looking at me but they're not really. I just made a joke out of it; now every lunch time I do a little drum roll and announce what I have and most of the time they actually want what I have because I have fresh tasty salads with different ingredients and they have the same.old.sandwich
denialisnthappiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM   #15  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Can you stare at them while they eat their food? Didn't their parents teach them that staring is rude? Lol!

Make it into a game for yourself - try to come up with the wildest story for why they are staring at you - ex. I just know that so-and-so is staring at me because... she wishes she had eyes as pretty as mine... as many great friends as I do... so-and-so just had a b-day and wishes she was as young as me...
I know... they sound a little corny - but it may help?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote