Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM   #1  

Talking Best Cardio Ever

Okay so I already wrote this and then my internet decided to be a BUTT and disconnect as it was posting. LAME. But I'll try it again.

Ok, so my Easter was pretty amazing and I hope y'all's were too, and if you don't celebrate it, I hope you had an excellent Sunday!!

Food-wise it was awesome, I consumed only 1647 cals (I'm shooting for the 1500 range), so it wasn't so bad!!

All right now about my best cardio ever... haha. But to introduce the subject, I will tell you all about my first experience with culture shock. When I was about 6 or 7 and in daycare, we were going on a field trip to a park to have an Easter egg hunt. Yay! So we went, and each kid got their egg... and I was completely perplexed to see everyone peeling the shells off of the eggs and eating them! "Why aren't we throwing these eggs at each other??" I wondered. My entire life, Easter egg hunts involved cascarones, NOT hard-boiled eggs!

For those who don't know, a cascaron is an eggshell filled with confetti, and there is usually a small piece of tissue paper glued on the opening to keep it sealed. Then, after youve gathered as many eggs as you can from the egg hunt, you throw them at each other! They are, in essence, little egg grenades! What fun! So after you scramble around to grab as many eggs as you can (of course leaving some of the easy to grab ones for the little kids), you turn around and unload your ammo on your unsuspecting friends and relatives!

Before this Easter, I was not as aware of the food going into my mouth nor was I as aware about the amout of activity and exercise that my body was getting from various activities. In fact, it wasn't until after we'd run out of eggs and we were all standing around breathless that I realized that it was quite a workout! I even joked with my mom that I was going to write it in my exercise journal: "Cascaron Battle...... 45 minutes. "

Anyway, I just wanted to share that little piece of unsuspected exercise and bit of my culture with all of my friends here at 3FC. I hope you all enjoyed it.
cephalopod gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Oh I've never heard of those! That sounds like so much fun I'm glad you had a great day
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #3  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

ceph
Wonder if that is some kind of tradition. We had plastic eggs filled with balloons that we would fill with water and hit each other with those.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #4  

Faerie: Yay! I'm glad I was able to show someone something new!! You should try making a couple and surprising people next year. (Just make sure you do it outside!! It's quite messy)

Shy Moment: Ahh yeah that's what I forgot from my original post! Haha. I had written that in San Antonio, Texas (wooo represent!!), cascarones are used to celebrate Fiesta in April, but in Mexico (and some other Hispanic cultures, too, I believe), they are used during Easter. The water-egg-balloon thing sounds awesome! It was way too cold for that yesterday though, haha.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:48 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8"

OMG, I had totally forgotten about cascarones. We had those for "carnaval" which is Fat Tue over here. We didn't throw them at each other, we were supposed to smash them into our friends heads...ouch! The fun was getting all the confetti on each other's hair. We called the confetti "pica pica" which means itchy, probably because it made our heads itch! LOL

That brought back some memories!

Last edited by friendlykat4u; 03-18-2011 at 12:06 PM.
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 AM   #6  
McLovin' *TBL Red Team*

That sounds like a lot of fun. Do you make the eggs or buy them??
xGurlyGrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopod gal View Post
Faerie: Yay! I'm glad I was able to show someone something new!! You should try making a couple and surprising people next year. (Just make sure you do it outside!! It's quite messy)
I'm might not even wait until Easter next year! Any excuse for a party with friends, right?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGurlyGrlx View Post
That sounds like a lot of fun. Do you make the eggs or buy them??
My parents used to buy me huge bags of them. They're easy to make if you have the time. Start saving egg shells, you wash them and let them dry. The confetti can be bought at the store. You paint them and let them dry. After you put confetti inside you glue a little square of colored tissue paper on the top and that's that.

My friends and I used to have so much fun chasing each other around!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #9  

Haha yeah, we generally crack them on each other's heads, but sometimes me and my cousins like to get creative.

Personally, we make ours. All of the local places that sell them use this weird confetti that I really don't like, so we just buy a different kind and make our own. It's fun anyway!!

But yeah, the confetti EVERYWHERE gets INTENSE. It's crazy how much you get in your underwear!!! (That may be TMI, but hey, it happens )

Faerie: My parents lived in New Jersey for a couple of years (where they had ME! Bwahahaha), and one year, they had some friends over and decided to "show" them how things were done back home... so they told them, "Hey, step outside for a sec, we've got something to show you..." and as soon as they stepped out... CRACK!!! Hahaha, it's amazing. I crack up (no pun intended... ok you got me it was intended) every time my parents tell me that story.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:17 AM   #10  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

OMG that sounds like so much fun!
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:33 AM   #11  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopod gal View Post

Faerie: My parents lived in New Jersey for a couple of years (where they had ME! Bwahahaha), and one year, they had some friends over and decided to "show" them how things were done back home... so they told them, "Hey, step outside for a sec, we've got something to show you..." and as soon as they stepped out... CRACK!!! Hahaha, it's amazing. I crack up (no pun intended... ok you got me it was intended) every time my parents tell me that story.
You are a riot & a half I swear!