Old 01-19-2008, 07:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Default I cheated! :(

I was doing SO well and was SO proud of myself this week... went to the gym every day (except Wednesday, but that was a hectic day), was eating healthy, and now this...
On my way to work today, I was feeling some little hunger pangs, and knew I didn't want to eat food from work (I work at a greasy sports bar), so I stopped at Moe's. Granted, I had a choice between Moe's, Arby's, and Wendy's, so I guess I made the right decision, but as soon as I had wolfed down half of my Triple Lindy, I went online to see the nutritional information... 740 calories per serving! Even with tofu and no sour cream!
I feel sick to my stomach, and I know it's an emotional sick rather than a Moe's-sick. I'm not going to give up, obviously, but I feel pretty down about it. Anyone else get that shock when you've eaten something you thought was pretty healthy, only to find out that it's horrible for you?
blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #2  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Well. I ate a crap-pile of almonds, only to mentally calculate how many calories I'd just ingested and discovered it was damn near 800 calories.
I nearly sobbed. Needless to say, I gave away what was left of my almonds.

It's frustrating to be making "the right choice" only to discover it wasn't as right as you wanted it to be, or that you could've had something junky and crappy that you would have preferred for fewer calories! Because let's be honest, I would've preferred to eat a Kitkat and take some pill-form nutrients to make up for the good things I DID get from the almonds.

I know you must feel pretty down-trodden, but try not to let it get to you. You're going to be in maintenance for a lifetime, one slip-up on a single day isn't going to change the eventual outcome-- which is you reaching your goal! Maybe now you'll reach your goal two days later? No huge biggie! From your posts that I've seen recently, it sounds like you've been doing really well!

Last edited by Jelbb; 01-19-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #3  
Doing it for my future!!!

S/C/G: 280/278/145

Height: 5'5"

Bumps in the road are to be expected on the journey of weightloss. Don't down yourself. Also, I personally give myself cheat meals every 1-2 weeks so I don't go insane and go off my diet completely. Lots of resources say this is a good idea and tough restrictions is one of the reasons people fail at dieting. So just look at it as an approved cheat meal as oppossed to going of plan.
OptimistK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #4  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

One day does not mean that tomorrow can't be better. If food on the run has to be part of your meals from time to time just look ahead and plan for it. We have both Arby's and Wendy's Actually I just looked at Arby's and stay away from the Market Sandwiches!

I don't think I've ever been surprised after the fact, however, I have sometimes gone to look things up and been very surprised. Like just now, looking at Arby's sandwiches. Even with taking the mayo and cheese off, they're still pretty high. Looks like most of the calories are from the bread, so there's not much you can do about it.

Anyway, it's more important to plan for what to do next time. At Wendy's you can get a small chili, pour it over a plain baked potato and it's under 500 calories (as well as being low fat, a good amount of protein, and even fiber). And it's a pretty filling meal.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #5  

That does sound like a good idea, but I'm vegetarian, so I guess that means cutting out the chili! Luckily, though, being veggie helps me stay pretty far away from the burger joints, so I know when I do cheat, it's never going to be one of those 1,200 calorie Thickburgers! Yikes! (And I used to love those awful things, too)
Old 01-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #6  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Harvey's (I think they are Canadian only) used to do a great Veggie Burger that wasn't too bad. I just went to their site and they no longer have the calorie counts (not nice). Oops, spoke too soon. Their veggie burger is 317 (before condiments), and was actually good. The BK veggie is actually lower in calories, but I remember it wasn't as good. I used to often pick vegetarian options when travelling. They aren't always better, but can often be.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #7  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Well, if you only ate half, thats less than 400 calories right? It may not have been the way you wanted to eat those calories, but I wouldn't say you really messed up.
That being said, I literally sobbed last week when I looked up the nutritional value in a veggie pita from mcalisters. I'd like to believe that it was hormonally charged, but I'm pretty sure it was more of just the slap in the face when I thought I was going out of my way to make a good choice.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #8  

Quote:
I was doing SO well and was SO proud of myself this week.
You still have a reason to be proud of yourself. You made it 6 days and cheated one. That's not so bad.

After being good (exercise/diet) all week I blew my calorie count (big time) for today. We can either pity each other or start over tomorrow and try again.
GeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #9  
Queen Yo-yo

Lizzie:
Man. If you walked up to any given person and said, "Hi, my name is Jess, and a handful of almonds made me cry last week. This is Lizzie, and she sobbed over a veggie pita," do you not think they'd think us SLIGHTLY crazy??

Last edited by Jelbb; 01-19-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #10  

These are all the reasons I try not to eat out anymore, as often as I can, at least. Calorie control is so much easier when you are actually making EVERYTHING you put into your body... you have all the options in the world!
I still like a veggie sandwich from Subway, but that's the only choice I have when I eat there, and I get tired of that after a while.
Here's to starting over fresh tomorrow, and working extra hard at the gym!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 PM   #11  
Queen Yo-yo

Betty:
I absolutely agree on the making-everything-at-home bit! You never know what they put in things at these restaurants! Everything is overly processed and is probably delivered to the restaurant frozen and chalked-full of hydrogenated preservative crap.

Subway on the other hand, is my one true love. I'm pretty carb-conscious, so I tend to just get oven-roasted chicken wraps with swiss cheese and lots of yummy veggies. So amazingly good... though I should learn to get them without the cheese!!!

GOOD LUCK on your fresh start tomorrow! I have faith in you!!

Last edited by Jelbb; 01-19-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 AM   #12  

AH!
I cheated today too! I was doing so well this whole week, and then i went to the movies with my sister, and she was getting candy so i did too! I was doing SO WELL. Normally I just get a diet coke, but not tonight. i'm very disappointed in myself. Tomorrow is another day. another day of CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN EATING.

i completely agree with ya'll about the cooking at home thing. it's so much healthier, and you KNOW exactly what's going into your body. hopefully, i can still make my 10 pound january weight loss goal....=(

Last edited by Emdoodles; 01-20-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Emdoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:29 AM   #13  

Jelbb, thanks for the words of support! I keep forgetting that Subway has wraps, I should try one of those sometime to break up the monotony of the veggie sub. I, too, have a problem with cheese at Subway, but I guess I justify it by thinking that if I don't have meat, I'm allowed to splurge on the cheese :-)

Emdoodles, that TOTALLY reminds me of a time when I used to hang out with my friend Steph all the time... she's super-skinny and always has been, but ALL she eats is candy and ice cream. I've never seen that girl touch a vegetable! So whenever we would hang out, I would match her in all the gooey sweetness she would consume, because I thought, "well, if she can eat a whole container of Haagen-Daaz and still stay that thin, so can I!" It's amazing the lies we tell ourselves when we want to be bad!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:42 AM   #14  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

Jelbbbbb- Yes, people would definitely think we are nuts. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm nuts most of the time.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 AM   #15  
Queen Yo-yo

Betty:
Ooh, you totally should try the wraps, they're just as good. I always get mine heated up and I adore them, lol.
And yeah, your justification of the cheese being you not getting the meat is a lot more realistic than my justification for getting the cheese-- 'well I didn't put any mayo or dressing on it...!'

Lizzabee:
See, that I believe.
(Kidding! Kidding, really, <3 )