Old 01-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 238/227/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetty View Post
I'm one of those people who's at least tried pretty much everything. Well, I've never had the fancy French stuff like snails or frog legs, but being a vegetarian these days, I doubt I'll ever try them (or maybe I will, just to say I did)
I live in the deep south, and I must say, I really hate "southern food", like grits, cornbread, fried chicken, and collard greens. Pretty much every vegetable cooked "southern style" is cooked with a slab of pork fat and boiled until mushy. The first time I had grits, I thought it was applesauce, so my tongue was ready for something cool and sweet... let's just say the shock of that moment was enough to put me off grits forever! :-)
Where in the deep south? I'm from Mississippi and I know EXACTLY what you are talking about...lol!
sgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #32  

I've never had lobsters/crabs. They look like big insects.
ClearBlueWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:36 PM   #33  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

They are known as the cockroaches of the sea!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:28 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 187/173/125

I've never had any kind of seafood. I always was just disgusted by the idea of eating something that once was stewing in it's own filth. I grew up in New England, right on the bay by the ocean. Right near Maine where everyone loves the lobster and within distance of a beach that's world famous for it's fresh seafood. But I hate it. Not because I've tasted it and not liked it...because I hate it. The idea. And the smell.

Funny story though! When I was in high school we had fried chicken patty burgers and fried fish patty burgers for lunch one day. I asked for the chicken and was a bit surprised when I saw it was square. But I just figured it was the way it was that day (they were usually round at my school). Then I bit into it and it was the fried fish patty. I spit it right out and I still don't remember what it actually tasted like. It probably wasn't in my mouth long enough to taste! I smelt the fish and spit it out!
leanmoomercows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:42 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantroy View Post
The only thing I will not try is eel, there's just something about it that creeps me out. Plus I've heard it's really chewy and I hate chewy/rubbery textures in food.
I love eel! I can understand the creep factor, but I've never had any that was rubbery or chewy. It's actually quite soft in texture.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 225/218/150

Height: 5'8"

sgregg: i'm from alabama, but have lived all over the world, so i didn't "grow up" with this sort of food... i guess it takes getting used to.

shantroy: i agree with zenor... eel is delicious! when i used to eat meat, sushi made with eel was my absolute favorite food in the world. squid or octopus can sometimes be chewy or rubbery, when it's not cooked properly, but eel is always soft and has a wonderful texture.

As far as fast food goes, I had a chicken breast sandwich at KFC about ten years ago, and it wasn't quite done in the middle... I was absolutely disgusted and was never able to eat there again!
blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:33 PM   #37  

Height: 5'5"

theres a lot of junk food/fastfood chains ive never eaten at. but in terms of overall food types ive never had

butter milk
dog
horse (but i almost ate it in italy the other day!)
im sure there are a few types of fish (but i have had eel i love sushi!)
durian
cactus flower or just grilled cactus

those are all a little exotic though i dont think theres any everyday food i havent had!

good post!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 268/258/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantroy View Post
There's very little I haven't tried and I mean very little. I've had gator, sanke, ants, grasshoppers, dear, elk, bison, horse, guinne pig, dog (made me cry when I found out) among others. I love fish, eat it 2 or 3 nights a week, but in the last 2 years I've developed a shellfish allergy. Not a problem b/c I didn't particularly care for it anyways.

The only thing I will not try is eel, there's just something about it that creeps me out. Plus I've heard it's really chewy and I hate chewy/rubbery textures in food. I also hate bitter flavours; no grapefruit for me! Now that I think of it I haven't tried cottage cheese, that i can remember anyways. The number one thing i CANNOT eat is cilantro! The smell and taste are just albsolutely revolting. I lived in central america for 6 months and they put cilantro in/on everything.

Mild blue cheese is good - but I don't like the strong stuff.

OMG!! You've eaten guinea pig?!?! I have two that I keep for pets, they're my babies.
Phoebe7879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #39  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

LOL.
Pheebs.
I love that in this instance you actually had to specify that you kept them for pets, and not to fry 'em up with chips and BBQ sauce tonight for dinner.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 360/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I have never eaten any type of fish except for tuna fish which grossed me out and that ended any fish for me. But I did have a weird experience with "ham" When I was in France they served me a piece of "ham" but it was the leg . And i saw the foot lol and it still had the toe nails and everything still on it....So now I shy away from pork/ham etc....
krissy1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 225/218/150

Height: 5'8"

I used to live in Asia when I was a teen, and my mom would buy whole chickens from the grocery store to cook... and when I say "whole", i mean WHOLE... head and feet attached! It was the grossest thing ever to watch her have to chop the neck off when she was getting ready to cook... I guess I ate it anyway, though, LOL!
blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 360/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

If I saw that, it would make me a vegetarian. But my grandfather does eat weird things like that. He likes chicken feet and sheeps eyes and other wierd stuff that just grosses me out.
krissy1319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:36 AM   #43  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Eeee to both of those stories. Entire pig legs and entire chickens.
I don't even like eating chicken wings. I don't like there being bone or fat in my meat. I'm no vegetarian by any means, but I don't like being reminded of the live animal while I'm eating it. I quite enjoy boneless skinless chicken breasts, where it doesn't at all resemble an animal.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:39 PM   #44  

There is a lot of seafood type stuff I haven't had. Can't really stand the smell or slimy texture of a lot of it. I like tuna, but hardly ever eat it, I had sushi once (just a California roll) which was pretty good, but I don't know if I'd ever try some of the more crazy combos. I've also had cod (I think thats what it was) and shrimp cocktail and hated them both. Had Lobster once, but I thought it was kind of tastless and didn't understand why people love it so much.

Oh and I'll join the mushroom hating club. Like fish, its the slimy texture that just completely turns me off. If there is a mushroom flavored sauce on something it doesn't bother me, I can't eat the actual mushrooms..yuck.
Razz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #45  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

I've never tried snails! When I think about snails I hear that line from It takes Two, with Kirsty Alley and the Olsen Twins, "It tastes like rubber." BLEH!
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote