Old 01-04-2008, 03:00 PM   #1  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

Default How much exercise do we need?

I've read all these great posts... and I'm TOTALLY geared up to lose these pounds...

However, in the cases where people need to lose 100+ pounds... what exercise is "enough"?

I have a problem with psyching myself out of things... I've told myself that if I can get to the gym and do 30 minutes of cardio (not just slow walking) every day during the weekdays, that would be excellent. I tell myself that 30 minutes is easy, I can totally make time for that in my busy schedule and something is better than nothing...

But then I read of other people who are doing NINETY minutes (60 of that cardio) 5 days a week.... and I just get overwhelmed!!!!!

What should I reasonably be planning for myself???

Thanks guys!
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #2  
BLACK TEAM

S/C/G: 225/219.5/140

Height: 5'5

I honestly believe that you need to do what YOU personally are able to do. If you are coming from a sedentary lifestyle, then 30 minutes of cardio is a really good start, IMO. You kind of have to find that personal threshold, in between where you're letting yourself off the hook by taking it easy, and where you're working so hard you can't possibly stick with it and burn out and ultimately, quit.
misschris531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #3  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I think just doing what is possible for you to do is enough for now. It depends on how much time you have etc. Once you get used to taking that time to work out, you can add a little bit each time. You dont want to get discouraged and give up becuase you can't work out for an hour each day. I dont think you need to do 90 minutes a day especially if you already think it is overwhelming. Do what you can and keep adding it up a little at a time.

I also think weight training is important. Muscle is really important in weight loss IMO.

I also think adding in activity throughout the day makes a difference: parking farther away, walking when possible, going for a walk after dinner, taking the stairs, etc. All that adds up and helps to boost the amount of activity you do without taking time out of your day. Even doing pilates moves while watching television helps. IMO every time you move rather than staying still makes a difference.

For me, If I go crazy with my efforts, it doesnt last. I have to do what is sustainable long term or I will quit eventually.

I am sure your efforts will pay off. Have a good day.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #4  

Height: 5'9"

The minimum daily requirement of exercise to prevent weight gain is 30 minutes a day of walking, or 12 miles a week of walking or running.
http://walking.about.com/cs/howtolos.../30minaday.htm

Investing 30 minutes a day in aerobic exercise — such as walking, bicycling or swimming — can help you live longer and healthier.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/aer...ercise/EP00002

I'd say that's a good place to start.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:34 PM   #5  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Good news!!! No one, least of all yourself, should expect you to do 90 minutes a day 5 days a week right off the bat.

When you're starting off, any exercise that you can do for 3 days a week is great.

Walking is a good one, that's how I started. Can you walk briskly (your pace briskly, don't compare yourself to anyone else) for 15-20 minutes a day? Now, can you do that at least 3 times a week, shooting for 5 times a week? Then that's it. A great way to start!

When you start out exercising, it's best to start out slow. If you just go in and start sprinting then you risk injuring yourself. Plus, 90 minutes of exercise is hard to stomach right now, right?

Starting out, it's also great to start to sneak in more movement. Park far away from the store, take the stairs, walk to the kitchen instead of yelling at your SO to bring you something.

You can also put your favorite dance music on and just go nuts for 15 minutes.

Putting great dancing music, cleaning, and going nuts is even better!

My point is, at this stage you just want to get moving and get your body used to you moving. You'd be surprised how fast you can work your way up to 30 minutes a day, 4-5 days a week.

Don't get discouraged! Start slow, then work your way up. And keep posting!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #6  
TBL RED TEAM MEMBER

S/C/G: 230/210/140

Height: 5`11

If your coming from a sedentary lifestyle, walking is the best thing to start with. If you cant do the whole 30 mins in one shot, try to start with 2 or 3 increments of 10 mins each day. The best thing is just getting in the habit of making exercise a priority, and as you get in this habit, then you can go from there.
MISS 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #7  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I'm going to echo the whole 'start slow' idea. Start with something you CAN do 5 days a week.. then once it gets easy, increase the intensity/length slowly. It starts adding up pretty fast once it becomes part of your daily routine
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote