Where do you see yourself...?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • This is kind of a goal thread. I was thinking about the impending new year, about all of the things I'm going to be working towards in the future, about what I want my goals to be. So I figured I'd start a thread This doesn't have to specifically be about weight loss, either. I just think that owning your goals is a big step in achieving them -- accountability is huge!

So: where do you see yourself...
    ...in 3 months?
    ...in 6 months?
    ...in a year?

Are you making New Year's resolutions?

Do you have a big picture goal, or are you working on it bit by bit, taking things as they come?

What are your biggest obstacles in obtaining your goals in the next year?
  • I'll go first

where do you see yourself...
    ...in 3 months? I see myself having completed 2 of my mini-goals (17 lbs from now), working furiously on my Master's thesis, getting really stressed out about its impending deadline!
    ...in 6 months? In Brazil! I'm hoping to have doubled my WL by then, hopefully down 40lbs by the time I get to spend 2 weeks in Rio with my DH's family. Brazil Brazil Brazil Brazil... now that's inspiration!
    ...in a year? Hopefully at goal, but it's ok if not. I know the last stages are the hardest, and I'm not expecting to keep up the initial pace the whole year. Hopefully in a year I'll be fully set in my habits and mindset, getting used to the idea of hitting goal, reading up on maintenance and preparing myself for it. I also hope that in a year I'll be a runner, able to sustain a running pace for more than 30 seconds!! Oh... and I guess.... pregnant! DH is 12 years older than me and we don't want to wait much longer to start a family. The idea is that by the end of next year, I'll be pregnant -- another GREAT reason to get healthy NOW!

Aside from keeping to my weight-loss goals, I don't think so. Maybe my resolution this year will be to save as much money as possible, that would be huge.

Do you have a big picture goal, or are you working on it bit by bit, taking things as they come? Both. I don't like thinking of the giant goal, it's pretty overwhelming. 10 lb increments I can do. So I look at my progress in stages, but overall I know where I want to be.

What are your biggest obstacles in obtaining your goals in the next year? Me, myself, and I. I don't have any real obstacles -- I'm in good health, I'm secure in my job and relationship, everything should be ready to go. I'm the only person who can make this happen, and I'm the only person who can stand in my way of achieving what I deserve!! Just gotta keep my eye on the prize

I'd love to hear what you ladies are dreaming up for the next year.....
  • [B]where do you see yourself...
    ...in 3 months?
    In three months I definatley hope to be in ONE-derland! and close to being overweight and not obese! Aside from weightloss I hope to keep my grades up and find a job!

...in 6 months?

I would like to be at my goal in six months, five actually. If that doesn't happen though I'll be fine. I want to maintain and increase the intensity of my weightlifting so I can have a sexy, toned, and tight body!!!
    ...in a year?

I would like to be maintaining my weight, consistent with my weightlifting, and happy with my body and enjoying a year not worrying about having to lose weight for the first time in my life!

I don't have to, it would be the same sad one I've made for so many years, "I" resolved that problem on May 25, 2007, the day I began my life change. So thankfully, this year I won't have to make a New Year's resolution because I'm already 50 lbs. in on my goal!

Do you have a big picture goal, or are you working on it bit by bit, taking things as they come?

I'm certainly working on it bit by bit, while keeping the bigger picture in mind.

I don't forsee any right now, I'll take them as they come, but in the words of our lovely Meg, "If you want something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse". Whatever shall come my way that may pose as a potential obstacle, I wont' let it get in the way of my goals, as far as weightloss and any other areas of my life. I refuse to make excuses, that's easy; i've never been one to settle and take the easy route out!
  • I like this idea. Here we go:

...in 3 months?
    I see myself a size 14 instead of 16/18 and not struggling with food issues. I see myself being a better,more patient mother. I also see my business starting.

...in 6 months?

I's like to be down to a size 10/12 and start to feel sexy again (something I havent felt in almost 5 yrs now). I want to wear this pink dress I bought a couple yrs ago and feel amazing in it. I want to play outdoors with my kids without getting winded and exercise everyday cos I want to.

in 1 year
    A total of 80 pounds less; more involved in my family, and having a business that actually makes a decent income to add to my pathetic one.

My obstacles? Food as a weapon against myself. I have to stop being my worst enemy.
  • Where I see myself in...

...3 months Hopefully down about 5 lbs, and a few more inches. Getting fit again.

...6 months Hopefully at goal. That being around 137 pounds. I'll also be Tree Planting!!! Hopefully. I'm so excited to do that.

... 1 Year At UBC. And hopefully I'll have been mainting my weight loss for a few months.

New years resolutions naw... I just make goals randomly all the time. They'll just continue on through new years.

Biggest Obstacle me. And my bad habits and skewed relationship with food.
  • where do you see yourself...
    ...in 3 months?
    30 lbs and lighter and that much closer to goal

...in 6 months?

In onderland (finally) and enjoying the summer wearing shorts for the first time since i was a teenager.

...in a year?
    Maintaining my goal weight. Looking amazing and enjoying being healthy and fit for the first time EVER. Graduating with my Bachelors finally woot!! LOL

Not this year. Just continuing with the goals I set for myself last year.

A little of both

None. I didn't let anything get in my way in '07, and I refuse to let anything stop my progress now.
  • I'm going to be...healthy =]
    ...in 3 months? Teetering on the edge of One-derland! Probably super stressed with schoolwork again.
    ...in 6 months? Moved back home with my parents, around 50 lbs lighter!
    ...in a year? Graduating college with the healthy body that I've always dreamed of! 91 lbs gone for good. =]

I started my New Year's resolutions early. No alcohol (I don't really enjoy it anyway), no soda - a diet one is ok here and there, no fried fast food - grilled chicken is ok once in a while, no food in my bedroom (it's my biggest weakness), and exercise exerice exercise! They're all relatively easy for me...so hopefully I can keep up with them!

Both, I would like to overall lose 91 lbs, taking me down to 140. But I'm really taking it month by month. I would like to lose 8 to 10 lbs per month.

I just tend to lose motivation when about a month in to each school semester. I need to find the balance between the exercise & eating right AND the school load. I'm going to put extra effort in to it this time. I need to do this for myself!
  • I like this idea. I kind of hate all the hype and expectations about new year's, but it is kind of a logical time to take stock of things and make plans.

...in 3 months?
    Training for the Reykjavik Marathon, devoting a lot of time to improving myself and trying to have the least stressful semester possible. Putting myself out there and dating more.
    ...in 6 months? Finishing up my second year of law school, starting my first serious career-type job during the summer, living in good old Boston and keeping up with the Marathon training thru August.
    ...in a year? Finishing up my semester abroad, in Germany. Speaking much better German than I ever have, and slim enough to buy clothes in Europe!

Not exactly, as such. I have a 3-year to do list of big life goals, so I'm going to work hard at accomplishing as many of these as possible. Also, like most years, I have a travel goal - I want to see at least two new states and three new countries. Shouldn't be too challenging since I'm going to Arizona in Feb and should have lots of chances to travel as long as my semester abroad plans work out.

Do you have a big picture goal, or are you working on it bit by bit, taking things as they come? I want to get to the "normal" weight range, which starts somewhere around 155 I think. And my big picture, long term goal is to always make time for my health. I got good at that for a while, but the last year and a half I have not made it a priority. That has to change immediately.

What are your biggest obstacles in obtaining your goals in the next year? School/work is always a big one. I know I'm going into a job that is going to take a lot of my time and energy, and I need to build good habits now to make sure it doesn't take over my life. Also, I HATE my school gym but can't afford a different one since Manhattan gyms are like $100/mo minimum. So I need to get over myself about that, at least when it's too cold to run outside.
  • Hey, I'm new here, thought this would be a good way to introduce myself... plus writing down goals is one thing that keeps me motivated...

...in 3 months?

I will be in onderland. I saw it once about a year ago, then I let it all go, gained back everything I had lost, then some. I am also remodeling a house that I want to have done by then and I want to have half of all my credit card debit paid off. With my job, I want a raise, I've taken on a lot at work the past couple months and I believe I deserve a raise, if not, I'm going to be looking for a new one.

...in 6 months?
    I hope to be close to my goal, which is currently 150. I can then reevaulate my initial goal and determine if I need to loss more. I hope to have all credit debit paid off.

...in a year?
    I want to be maintaining and working on toning and possibly training for a marathon, probably a small one, but a marathon at the least. My whole family is very athletic except me and my mom.. I just want to feel like I fit in for once.

I'm going to stick with the same resolution I made last year, which is "don't judge people and give everyone a chance"
    I know, I'm the fat one and I shouldn't judge people, but.. sometime I look at people and think "I don't like them", even though I don't even know them. I have had several friends go behind my back and do very messed up things to me and I have a hard time trusting people and letting people in, so I automatically don't like people.. I did pretty good at this last year and made several great new friends..

I've also been trying to apoligize to those I have been nasty to and explain myself to them...

Focusing on me.
    I recently broke up with my fiance of 5 years and I always focused on him, what made him happy, what he was doing, where he was.. I never took the time to focus on me and my health, emotions and needs.. that's all about it change.

Work and partying.
    I work in an office, so I'm always sitting at a computer plus we have some good bakers in the office.. ahh.. the cheesecake and cookies in the kitchen are calling for my now...
    I've also been going out a lot since my breakup cause I never had the chance to before.. so I'm kind of catching up in a way..
  • : where do you see yourself...
    ...in 3 months?
    Feb. 18th - Hopefully I'll be about 140ish and feeling better all the time. Maybe treat myself to a long weekend back home in AR if I reach the 140 mark and staying there.
    ...in 6 months?
    June 18th - My one year anniversary. Hopefully I've already reached goal and am maintaining. I hope I'm in Germany spending 2 weeks for a vacation.
    ...in a year?
    Looking and feeling fabulous, maintaining my weigh loss, finishing school!
    Of course, every year I make one. This year is different, this year I'm sticking with it. Working out and eating right, getting to goal!
    I do both. Working towards 5 lbs. at a time, but staying focused on that goal weight.
    Leaving it up to myself to get where I want to be. Taking responsibility for my own actions. And the fear of being alone for 4 months... AHHHH!
  • ...in 3 months?
    At my goal, ideally. Working my butt off in school.

...in 6 months
    Maintaining. Planning my last semester in school. Yippes! And I'll hopefully have an internship somewhere nice.

... in a year?
    Still maintaining. I'll be done with school at that point. Ideally I'll have some sort of job so I can support myself (even if it's a barista or something similar). I've considered moving to Canada after I've finished school simply because they have universal health care and a state funded film board, both of which seem very attractive as a film major. Maybe grad school, who knows.

No, I'll be too tempted to break them. Some thing I'd like to change however is my body image. Several times now I've hit a goal weight and then wanted to go 5 more pounds, and I can see it happening again. I need to get to a place where I can see that a) there will always be "5 more lbs" b) even if I lose them life will not magically be perfect.

I'm working on the last 4 pounds so the big picture has arrived. But I did need to take it bit, by bit. When I started I didn't really have an end goal in mind. I'd never been thin so I had no idea what that would look like. Now that I'm closer I can fine tune my body.

Me, Myself and I, I'm afraid. Graduating (with a film degree no less) is a dream, but it's also going to mean I'm pushing myself outside of my little bubble where I am in a safe academic environment and into the real world. It's going to be hard, and I know I'm going to second guess myself a lot.
    Even in weight loss when I get close to my goal I tend to take a lot of back steps. I really need to face my fears when it comes to both these things.
    I make experimental films, not blockbusters. There isn’t a ton of money in that, so it may mean finding something else I enjoy doing and making movies on the side. I think I’m okay with that though.
  • where do you see yourself...

...in 3 months?
    Back in the US, hopefully with a decent job or looking for a decent job. Waiting for immigration so that my husband can come to the US.
    On my way to goal!

...in 6 months?

I should be at goal by now. I should have been able to return to Peru for a week of love, and I should have heard from immigration by then. Looking at just my weightloss goals in six months I should have already been at goal for a while then.

...in a year?

Maintenance. Having practiced it for a while, I know that it takes just as much work to maintain as it does to lose. I think I should be able to do it. At this time next year I hope my husband and I will be enjoying ourselves at my parents' house in LA.

Yeah, I am. I'm going from maintenance mode to weight loss mode. It's going to be great. I'd also like to squat my starting weight.

I guess I am bit by bit. It just feels less stressful to look at it that way.

Stress. New job, new marriage that is suddenly long distance. Dealing with immigration. I don't even want to think about it!
  • Really great thread!!

...in 3 months?

I hope to be in Onderland and actively probably interveiwing for my first post graduation job (which may include relocating!!)!

...in 6 months?
    I hope to be fairly close to healthy weight and adjusting to my new job (and possibly new surroundings) and plan to be seriously starting the LSAT/ Law School/ Grad School application process.

...in a year?

I will be at goal (at least my first one) and will have submitted my Grad School apps and would have started negotiating for my next position in the organization I plan to work for. I hope to have a good idea of what my career trajectory is going to be and start laying whatever groundwork I need to do in order to push it that way.

Not really, other than making a firm commitment to myself and my personal (getting over my crippling fear of intimacy) and career related goals (getting over my almost crippling fear of failure).

I am definitley a big picture person but I think I am going to really try to enjoy the smaller victories and not see smaller set backs as signs of abject failure..

I have met the enemy and the enemy is me as much as I like to say that the enemy is my mother (who's actually pretty awesome).

See the aforementioned fear of failure and intimacy. I overthink things and get in my own way alot.
  • ...in 3 months?
    I want to be around 130 by then. Other than weight stuff, 3 months from now I plan to really take stock of what's going on for me, financially and in my relationship. I decided last night that sometime around my 27th bday in Feb I really need to do some serious thinking, so hopefully in 3 months I'll have a definite set of budgetary goals and solutions, along with better perspective on my relationship.

...in 6 months?
    At goal, whatever that may be (125?) and running a 5K at least! Hopefully travelling somewhere but that probably won't fit in with those budgetary goals.

...in a year?

Oh lord. I'll have my master's in sight and hopefully will have been accepted into a PhD program somewhere far away from Boston (New York or Cali are on my mind now). My relationship has changed or ended. I'm still in lots of debt but have a clear path towards getting out of it.

Well, I need to quit drinking and smoking. How about this -- no drinking for the month of January. That should mean I won't be smoking, either.

Bit by bit, mostly. Ideally, I'm physically active every day, maintaining my goal weight, cultivating a private psychotherapy practice while also working in a hospital or university, married to a man who values independence...and kids? Oofah I don't know. That's too scary to think about!

Hmmm....maintaining confidence in myself, my general fear of both success and failure, and sadly, my boyfriend lately. This is what I hope to have resolved in three months! Just started therapy, and I have high hopes for the work I'll do there.
  • ...in 3 months...

i'm going to be at goal in and working on toning up...

...in 6 months...

i will be taking classes somewhere again...i hope (and the only reason i say 'hope' is because it's not 100% up to me) that this special guy i've been friends with forever and really like will have finally asked me to be his GF by then...

...in 1 year...

i hope (there's that word again) to be in love...and maintaining goal...

to finally be happy with what is now...i live for the future so much that i find myself forgetting about the present...i need to learn to appreciate what's right now and enjoy it...

the big picture...well that's easy...get married...have kids...live happily ever after...