Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/ticker!/155

Height: 5'9"

Default I feel like I'm about to fall off the wagon...

I really don't feel like I have the power in me to keep going with this whole thing. I feel like I HAVE to see results quickly otherwise it's not worth it at all.

I'm teetering into "I should just give up because I'll ALWAYS be fat" land -- I think about my family; dad with diabetes, mom obese, sister definitely getting there; and I feel like I'm predetermined to never ever be thin. I feel like there's no point in even trying because my family is destined to be fat for generations.

Also, this may not seem like a big deal, but I HATE vegetables. I actually have this over-taster thing going on where I have more than the average number of tastebuds (diagnosed by a doc, I swear!!), so veggies taste WAY WAY bitter to me and I gag on them. I feel like if I can't eat veggies, there's no way possible I could lose weight.

Is all hope lost for me?? I haven't even THOUGHT of weighing myself in weeks because I'm too scared of what it will say. The boyfriend says I look good, but he's always said that, so he's not a very good judge (he's also not very observant).

Help? Thoughts? Guidance? Anything?
artsnsmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:49 AM   #2  
Registered Diva

S/C/G: 172/142/119

Height: 5'5

If you think you're gonna fail, you are going to. Just remember that it's imposible to fail unless you stop trying. A weightloss journey is RARELY perfect, but you just have to keep on walking if you really want to achieve your goals. Not only in weightloss but in everything.

hope you are alright,
Lo
lointhecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 AM   #3  
MONI

S/C/G: 257/257/160

Height: 5'4''

Hi Artsnsmarts, Weight lost is hard in general and while I may not know what kind of person you are, its best for you to think of this question; are you afraid of failing? If you are and you think it may just be easier to give up before you fail and look silly than perhaps your not quit ready yet. I know it took me many tries to get back up and figure things out. There were a few questions i had to ask myself but I knew that I'd feel like a bigger failure if I didn't get back up and fight for my life. Thats what your really fighting for, you have to want it for youself because you know your worth it. Its more than the cute clothes and number, its about your health and the comfort you feel in your won skin. You may not be a size 2 and who knows maybe what you may think is a "big" number is acutally your ideal size. Make your goals realistic and take it on a daily basis. I recommend seeing a nutritionist for the first few months, he/she can give you some tips and guidlines and then the journey wont seem so long. Good luck, hope that helped a little bit!

Last edited by Moni28; 12-11-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Moni28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I was thinking a visit to a nutritionist, too. That bit about the taste buds sounds terrible! A nutritionist might be able to help you get creative with options.
You do want to lose weight, don't kid yourself. And in a week, two weeks, a month, whatever, you'll think of yourself now and curse yourself for having given up. It is really hard, but you can do it!!!
Sonja
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

hey art- you are worth so much more than you are letting yourself be when you say "i will always be fat" and give up. i promise! if you dont see the results on the scale each day (because you probably wont) try making a list with days of the week. monday - i am lowering my risk of diabetes. tuesday- by eating more fiber i am lowering my risk of colon cancer. wednesday - i am improving my chances of getting to know my grandchildren. thursday - i am making it less likely I will have to shell out cash for medicine for preventable syndromes. high blood pressure, high chloresteral etc. friday - i am saving money on the food that i do not buy and eat. saturday - i am treating my body the way i deserve to be treated. sunday - i am doing my knees a favor and making it easier on them.

etc etc etc i can help you think of things if you'd like.

what kind of progress goals do you have? are they realistic? can you weigh once a week or something to mark progress? i hear 1.5-2 lbs a week is realistic, more than that is water weight.

in terms of your veggie aversion what about getting a juicer? i cant taste the bitter (but i dont have your same problem soo.... not sure if this would work) and doing like carrot watermelon, orange beet etc. the sweet might camoflauge the bitter? also are there any veggies that arent bitter to you? ie sweeter ones like sweet potatoe, carrots, beets, zuchini, etc? also can you try like redbell pepper soup (premade?)

just some ideas sorry you are having a tough time. take a prenatal vitamin (they have more of the good stuff) and dont worry about it too much!

one thing i know - you are worth way more than relegating yourself to a life of being over weight and unhealthy!

good luck!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:24 PM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

oh and i wanted to add- losing weight is about taking in less cals than you expend so you most definitely CAN lose weight and not eat a single veggie. although its not totally recommended as veggies are great for you... but just to assuage that fear!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:05 AM   #7  

readyfreddy -- I feel so stupid that I never thought of it that way!! It just seems like everyone seems to refer to veggies so so often that I feel like it can't be done without them, but in reality it's just in vs. out.

It really is amazing, but carrots are ridiculously bitter. I know it sounds ridiculous, but they really are! I wish I liked veggies, I just can't!!!

I'll try and work on finding a prenatal vitamin.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #8  

Arts, if it helps, I'm not allowed to eat veggies. I have a blood clot in my brain and I'm on blood thinner. In order to keep my INR (blood thickness) to the correct level I either have to cut out all green veggies (anything with vitamin K) or eat the exact same amount each day. Well, because the clot is in my brain and not really something to mess with I have two differing doctor opinions. My GP wants me to try and consume the same amount of vit K every day, but my neurologist points out that it's not a science and I'm better off just trying to avoid Vit K completely. I can't take multi-vitamins for the same reason. So, in that sense, I feel your pain. It is a lot harder losing weight when you can't have veggies as a filler. I can't technically have beans, either.

If you give up, will you feel better about yourself a year from now? If you don't give up, will you feel better about yourself a year from now? Do it for the future you. You know you don't want to give up or you wouldn't have posted here.

Take the first step to climbing back on the wagon and go weigh yourself.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:32 PM   #9  
agressive obsessive

S/C/G: 218/202/142

Height: 5'7

I agree I tend to hate veggies but mixing them in with something like cheese or in a dish help. Also I have been very unsuccessful before but I find one cheat meal when I have hit my boiling point helps. Of course its ONE meal and I make it SOOOO small has helped me thins time around.
MaximBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #10  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm also not a big veggie fan, but I am in love with the Vfusion juices because they actually taste good! I would try some of those.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #11  

Can you believe this was my horoscope today, hahaha????

"Diet and exercise are highly significant now with the Moon in your 6th House of Health. Although this is often a familiar theme in your life, the Moon's conjunction to Neptune can make you wonder if your strategy is truly a sensible one. Instead of second-guessing yourself, accept that you can initiate significant changes today without much fanfare. Taking any action that increases your vitality is a smart idea."