Old 10-15-2007, 04:09 PM   #1  
Rop tú mo baile

S/C/G: 180/151/135

Height: 5'3"

Red face popcorn was my enemy.

so i thought i was plateauing... after about 5 lbs. This seemed totally illogical to me because i - am - overweight. i had been counting energy consumed (calories) and all that, making it so that i'd lose about a pound a week. What i couldnt understand is how, even though i underestimated the calories i burn per day i was only losing about half a pound a week...

i discovered an error on my behalf. I had been eating a bag of popcorn every night, as a reward for doing well during the day. The box of popcorn says that 1 cup = 40 calories. The box also says that there are 3 servings per container. - that's easy. 120 calories per bag--right? WRONG. the servings they define are the number of tablespoons of mix and seeds- which are about, as it says on the box, 180 calories per serving. It hit me, as i was thinking about how big a cup was. There is no way only 3 cups of popcorn fit into that bag. there have to be at least 10! turns out, with the math all done, there are about 12 cups of popcorn in a bag ( but they cant say that because they dont know how much of it will pop. GRRRRR. so what i thought was about 120 calories was really 480 calories, putting me really close to my basal metabolic rate.

as soon as i stopped eating a full bag of popcorn every night i started losing about 1.5 to 2 lbs a week.

it's crazy the hassle we are put through just to avoid false advertising.
hepmelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hepmelly -

Popcorn is SO tricky to figure out!

What I do, typically, is either buy a 100-cal snack sized bag (they are 100 cals per bag), or I pop my own in a brown paper bag with a measured amount of kernels. Either way, I know I'm getting my 100 calorie portion.

I seriously don't understand the popcorn labels on those big bags.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:16 PM   #3  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

I would in no way, shape, or form consider a 1/2 pound loss a week a plateau! At least you were still losing

Microwave popcorn can be VERY tricky. I have an air popper, so I end up being able to measure my plain popcorn in cups and then I usually just add spray butter and a dash of salt.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:17 PM   #4  
doinTHEbestIcan

Height: 5'4"

i also use the 100 calorie packs for a good snack.

i can never finish the big bags.
mrsgeb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:40 PM   #5  
but you can call me Sarah

S/C/G: 165/185/135

Height: 5'2

Me too - the 100 calorie bags are great for a quick snack at work - but if I'm at home when I get the craving, I pull out my air-popper and the sea salt. It helps that my husband doesn't mind plain popcorn...
wifey bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I wish I could have popcorn. It's a big no no since I have diverticulitis.

ITA about those labels. It's in "mice type" that you find phrases like "after prepared". I'm so glad you found out what you were doing wrong.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:14 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

i love the ordenvillee (spell?) redenbacker (spell?) 98% fat free popcorn. its 4 WW points because of all the fiber and I think around 320 cals for the whole thing. still a lot of cals but i try to fit it in. it doesnt help that the way i used to eat it was covered in garlic olive oil and parm. cheese. :eyeroll: geeze let me tack on about 400 MORE cals! hehe but now i just eat it plain and its STILL good.

anyways good for you for figuring out what the prob was! stupid lables!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree that popcorn is very ticky to figure out. I either buy the 100 calorie bag (as previously suggested) or I have an airpopper, I measure out two tablespoons of popcorn (actually I measure it in a medicine cup measurer thing) and that is 100 calories, then I spritz it with ICBINB and sometimes season it with whatever I have around.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #9  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I am so glad that you have solved the popcorn mysteries: first, the reason for your plateau, and second, for how many calories are actually in a bag. My husband and I have popcorn as a treat every once and a while, and we have had discussions about figuring out the calories. I have tried to cut down on popcorn, but I split a bag with my honey like once a week.
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9"

I almost bought some popcorn the other night but decided I did like it enough to waste my calories on it. However, I should add, I did take the time to read the servings per bag but I did NOT take the time to figure out that I could easily eat a 3rd of the bag and have more than 1 serving even if it said 3 servings per bag. I had no idea! So, I'm really glad I read this thread.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote