Old 09-29-2007, 06:58 PM   #1  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

Unhappy the pain of clothes shopping

Yesterday I went clothes shopping, and it did not workout for me, at all. Right now I am wearing a size 16 Victoria's Secret jean, but they are getting too big, and one pair is very noticably baggy in the butt - I just can't wear them out of the house. So I thought I would go jeans shopping at the mall down the street from my house. I know I fit into a 16 at the Gap and Old Navy, but they don't carry a "long" bigger than a 12 at the Gap (I have to order them online), and there isn't an Old Navy at this mall.

So I'm just walking around, scoping out the stores, and I see the CUTEST stuff in American Eagle. I usually don't even go in there, but they had some really cute tanks, henlys, and sweatshirts, so I thought I would check out they jeans too. The biggest size they carry is a 14, so I thought I would try them, since my 16's are getting too big. I get into the changing room with a cute outfit, super excited, and try on the jeans first. Yeah...I couldn't even pull them over my butt, let alone zip them. And the size large shirt and sweatshirt were both too tight and too short on me. Moreover, when I gave them back to the associate, she was probing me about why I didn't want them, and if she could find me a better fit...ugh, I had to tell her that they are all too small. There is nothing to say after that - they just don't make a bigger size.

It's just the worst feeling in the world to me, entering a store and realizing that they don't even make a size to fit me. I'm totally an inbetweener, too, because I've tried to shop and Lane Bryant before, and the waist and shoulders and bust on every top is cut way to big (I'm like a size 10 top, and they only carry 14 and up), and the jeans are also just a totally wrong cut for me, even the 14s. Ugh. So I went to Macy's and bought some shoes...shoes always fit.

Anyway, I just want to be able to go into a store and pickout what looks best on me, knowing that something will fit, and that isn't the issue. Blah. Does anyone have advice on how to perk up a bit from this, and/or does anyone have advice on their favorite stores that cater to taller, somewhat overweight women? I just want some jeans that are flattering on me now, so I can feel good about myself as I lose the weight. Thanks!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #2  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 245/230.8/135

Height: 5'4"

Lane Bryant has a new jean out called "right fit" - I am telling you now these jeans ROCK! They fit perfectly regardless of your shape. They have three different styles and they are totally worth trying on.

Just wanted to give you some hope!

C.
MissyCrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:06 AM   #3  

I'm right where you are. A lot of it is in the cut of the jeans, not the size. I've tried on 31's that fit fine and ones that won't even come over my knees.

For jeans especially you really might want to splurge and go to a store like Lucky or a designer jeans bar if there is one in your area. A lot of these places carry a very large array of sizes, cuts, and lengths, and it's worth it to spend extra money on a pair of jeans that will fit you great.
Jennt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:20 AM   #4  
Core convert

S/C/G: 150/137/125

Height: 5'3"

I agree with everyone....you really have to shop around. unfortunately i wish i could tell you it gets easier as u get thinner but i have not had that luck I am usually a ten...but i went into AE the other day and the tens were TIGHT on my hips and butt...and then i tried the 12 and it was gaping open at my waist. I have a lot of issues with this because of my pear shape but i sure hope it gets easier for u!
lmills730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:33 AM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Steve & Barry's has BITTEN jeans by Sarah Jessica Parker that are available in a variety of sizes and my sister (about your size) LOVES them!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

Okay. this is NOT cost conscious, but I buy seven jeans. I'm between 5'9" & 5'10" and it's impossible to find jeans that are long enough AND look good. I see you've got the same problem. You can by them at Nordstrom's. You have to be careful, though. I have a pair of size 29 that fit perfect and a pair of size 29 that I can't get over my thighs. My size 30s are gigantor on me. The big thing is that these guys stretch once you put them on.

Last edited by Amberelise; 09-30-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #7  
Sleek and Fit. Finally.

S/C/G: 159/139.4/135

Height: 5'5"

Clothes shopping can be **** on earth. Especially when it's for jeans/pants...

I feel your pain. It's horrible to think that your size isn't carried in a store.
Not only that but I find sizes in EVERY store are WAY different. Especially since jeans are made with stretchy material and vanity sizing is just crazy. It sucks because some stores vanity size to the point of being ridiculous, while others don't at all, so in one store you'll be 10 and then in another you're a 14! (Plus the way some sizes go into the negatives? I mean what the frick is up with that????? Who wants to be a negative 1? It's like you don't exist...)
Crazy nuts.

I know that it's a problem for really tiny people too though. The people who are natural size 0 find it so hard sometimes to find pants as well.... They just don't make them that small all the time. I know that seems like a problem most of us will go, who cares, at least she's a fricking size 0, but it would still be just as painful to know that stores consider you too small.
Cats tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #8  
girl toward svelte

S/C/G: 196/ticker/150

Height: 5'10''

Thanks so much ladies. I don't mind investing in one or two good pairs of jeans, if I'm going to be in them for at least a few months while I drop sizes (I hope). I'm going to investigate all your suggestions. Happy shopping!
audreymonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #9  

Height: 5'5"

audrey - i have the same prob with pants... im disporportionately large in the thighs. anyways just so you know - i feel your pain and frustration. what i do is never go! haa i still have clothes from 5th grade (shirts). i dont recommend that either because i always feel frumpy! anyways.

also - jeans with a little bit of stretch always make me feel better.
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:53 PM   #10  

I love Jackie Jean, those are the only ones that cover my ankles while fitting right around the waist and thighs, and the sizes are REAL. No size 14's that are really a size 8. I love them
Lilian is offline   Reply With Quote