3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   to join or not to join? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/122170-join-not-join.html)

Quiet Ballerina 09-05-2007 06:18 PM

to join or not to join?

There's an athletic club near my home (literally 5 minutes up the road) and I'm thinking about joining...but the membership fees seem *SO* high to me.

to sign up for a year I'd have to pay $200 enrollment (plus tax), and then I'd have to pay $65 (plus tax) every month.

I'm not sure I want to spend so much money. They offer group exercise classes, but I don't know how many of those I'd want to participate in. I think I'd mostly go for the elliptical machines.

I'd really like to hear thoughts and opinions on it. :?:

mandalinn82 09-05-2007 06:23 PM

I would recommend watching it for a month or two. They will run a "No Enrollment Fee" special, most likely, at some point.

The $65 is worth it to me - its not high for most gyms. And you always have alternatives, which you don't have if you just buy a piece of equipment (ie, my knee is out...arm bike! or I reached a plateau in what I can do on the elliptical...stairclimber! etc).

RememberHowToSmile 09-05-2007 06:55 PM

I agree with Mandallin that there are a lot good points to joining a gym over just buying a piece of equiptment. Are there other options of other places to go? Are you comfortable going to a gym. Are you going to go? Do you have the time to go?

If you take the 65 a month times it by 12 and add 200 and divide by 365 then it averages out to about $2.70 a day if you were to go every day (which isn't probable going to happen but that might help to put it into perspective).

TxBrittany 09-05-2007 08:42 PM

I agree that you should watch it for a little while and see what specials they may run. Also, my experience has been if I go in and talk to an employee and have them show me around, then say "no thanks, can't afford it," they may offer to lower the enrollment fee or monthly fee. I use the free gym in my apartment complex right now, but would consider joining a gym just for the classes!

Quiet Ballerina 09-05-2007 09:03 PM

Thanks so much for the advice!

MandiK 09-06-2007 10:49 AM

I loved going to the gym, but I mostly used the ellipticle machines. I decided to just buy one at no interest and my monthly payments were less than my gym membership! Maybe you should look into that too! It's so nice to work out at home! I added some free weights and an ab machine and an exercise ball now and I love it! The gym can be motivating though... I used to like looking at all the skinny girls as motivation. :)

readyfreddy 09-06-2007 10:51 AM

maybe if you can sign with no enrollment fee than the 65 a month can be your motivation to go? as in, im already paying so much money... i better get my butt to the gym and get my moneys worth!

good luck!

SavingServo 09-06-2007 10:54 AM

My local gyms at home are tons of money too. Have you tried look at rec centers? I have one near me with a small gym that's $65 (or $50 if you're a student) for 3 months and that's the only fee. That's about the only thing I can afford right now.

Lost_here84 09-06-2007 12:11 PM

Hey, I LOVE the gym...it's so much more motivating for me. I could probably have a house full of equipment and I would NEVER use it.

Scince Ive recently switched jobs I am having to switch gyms, When I called and talked to them the girl quoted me a price that I knew right now is out of my price range. So i waited a couple of days and called back and asked the girl "I understand I have to pay a down payment but do you ever run specials or do you know when you will be where it isn't as high, because I would like to use ur Gym but its to pricey for me" Well the girl said that they do have other options available and the other options where MUCH cheaper. So Just talk to them and be honest with them and lastley if they are firm on their prices, some gyms don't run any specials, just ask yourself this....

How much is your health worth to you?? If you CAN afford it....then do it.

Quiet Ballerina 09-06-2007 03:21 PM

MandiK
The only problem with looking into getting an elliptical machine is that I don't really know what I'm looking for, so I can't do much searching (for now) online. I'll have to see what stores around me sell them. My mom got her treadmill for really cheap b/c there was some flaw to it or it was returned, but it still works fine.

SavingServo
I am not aware of any local rec centers. I just graduated in May, and it seems more of a burden than anything else. No longer get student discounts, no longer have my parents insurance. it sucks. :soap:

alliesmom00 09-06-2007 04:26 PM

I know the cost seems like a lot but it is well worth it for the variety. I can walk to the gym from my house and proximity makes all the difference too. Further the gym, the less likely you are to go. I have lost 70 some pounds by mostly making consistent visits to the gym. It is well worth the money, just be committed to go. You will feel really bad if you are paying that much money and don't go, which as mentioned before can be a motivator if you need it. I say go to the gym:)

MandiK 09-06-2007 04:48 PM

You should see if the gym has a trial membership... most will give you a week or two for free. See how much you use the gym and if you like it and think you'll keep going. If you like it and will use it, enroll. If you don't like it you'll be glad you didn't spend all the money. :)