Old 08-17-2007, 09:10 AM   #1  
alliesmom00

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Question personal trainer at the gym????

I have been able to lose 65 pounds on my own since Nov.2006. I go to the gym on average 5 days a week and do intensive classes like cycle, step, kickboxing etc. Of course I had to start by going to water aerobics because of my "morbid" obesity. I have gone from a large 24 to a 18 almost 16. I have only practiced portion control and food moderation to this point. However, I am becoming increasingly frustrated because I work out so hard and don't feel like I am losing the weight. This week I went to the gym 2x a day for three days. I am a teacher and I start work next week and I am trying to squeeze in every ounce of exercise I can. Today I am surrendering to a personal trainer at my gym. I have always told her of my progress and she encourages me all the time. I just hope I am making the right decision. I know that there will be an eating and exercising plan. I am leaving in a few minutes for the gym to take cycle and kickboxing 30 minutes of each. Then she will weigh, measure me and take my picture. I am very nervous. Did anyone else enlist the help of a trainer? I will post my findings later today on this thread. Any advice is welcome.
alliesmom00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Good for you - have fun!!!

I recently started with a personal training (I'm into week #4 right now) & it is the best thing I could have done. I am working harder than I ever have on my own (& I always thought I was pushing pretty hard on my own).

Congrats on the weight you've lost so far - great work!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 208/204/165

Height: 5'7"

I love my trainer! I have been seeing him off and on for over a year. Granted I don't dedicate myself as much as I should and that is the reason I am not seeing the results that I should be. He calls me if I haven't been to the gym in a while and is really understanding when I get frustrated. I'm seeing him again in two weeks and hope to have some progress to show him.

I think that a trainer is worth the $ becuase they can help customize a plan that meets your goals and can push you when you need it and celebrates with you when you reach a goal. Good luck and I hope you get one as good as mine!
LisaCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/149/135

Height: 5'7

It took me a long time to work up the nerve to get a Pt at my gym, but I am so so happy that I did. I think I'd gotten to the point by myself where I was really just mailing it in. I'd go the gym four times a week, but I wasn't really putting in the effort to have a really good work out I was just trying to get that hour a day in.
My PT keeps me motivated and pushes me WAY more than I ever pushed myself and the results have just been amazing. I couldn't be happier, and I'm sure you will be too!
Trendle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:56 AM   #5  
alliesmom00

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/160

So I met with the trainer yesterday. She was very pleased with the progress I have been able to make on my own. SInce I am so regular at the gym that won't be hard at all. I already take a variety of classes and weight train. We will just tweak a few things in the weight room. As far as diet goes, she recommends that for 2-3 weeks I really try to limit carbs as far as bread and pasta. My weakness is crackers by far. I am allowed one snack a day of a cracker of my choice. She wants me to have a lean protein at every meal along with two cups of veggies, even at breakfast. That will be hard for me there. Drinking lots of water yada yada yada. It is not that radically different from what I do already except I eat more fruits than I will be able to on this. She has set a goal for me to lose 10 pounds this month. I hope I can do it because it has been a long time since I was able to lose ten pounds in one month. Wish me luck!!!
alliesmom00 is offline   Reply With Quote