Old 08-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Any advice on....armpits. No Really.

So this is kind of embarrassing but as long as I can remember I've hated my armpits. They've always been dark and rough. I never wore any sleeveless shirts but now that I'm swimming and running and such it's kind of unavoidable. I've tried exfoliating, using lotion, being very careful when shaving, and so far nothing has worked! Any advice on how to fix this?
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Is it dark because of little hairs poking out or is it the way your skin is? If your hair grows fast, maybe Nair or something?
Vanessa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #3  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

WAXING! it is total agony to grow out your armpit hair...but let me tell you, after its waxed...you feel sooo clean and your armpits won't be dark!
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/171/130

I have nothing to offer as help, but omg.. the thought of waxing armpits makes tears come to my eyes... I bet that's rrrreeeal painful!
KelinQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #5  
Gettin' married 9/20/09!

S/C/G: 195/???/125

Height: 5'4.5"

getting the underarms is actually not too bad. there are other places more painful lol...
JulieRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #6  

It's definitely the skin, not like a 5 o'clock shadow! Haha. Hmm, maybe waxing would help though, less irritation. The only thing I've ever had waxed is my eyebrows and even that hurt like crazy. Any reccomendations for home kits?
Old 08-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

This may be totally off mark as I'm reeeeally fair skinned, but bleaching? Or a lotion that has something similar in it? If it's the skin, not the hair, then I'd look into something along those lines. Perhaps see a doctor and see what kind of suggestions they can come up with also.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

May want to check out this website:

http://www.chardanbeauty.com/dark_underarms

I think posts here were on the right track stating waxing, bleaching, etc because they're mentioned on this site. In addition the site also mentions trying lemons and pumice stone.

I have the same problem so I think I'll give some of these things a try!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #9  

Mine are very dark, too. I look forward to checking out that site. Let me know if any of those things work for any of you!
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #10  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I think I have you beat. Not to say yours is not important to you though. I have brown splotches under my arms that look like dried up skin that needs to be picked off, but it is permanent. I have been told it is due to weight, also my gyn is going to check my insulin levels to see if that is causing it. I also have them on the back of my neck. But it is disgusting. I will never be able to raise my arms in public because of that. Not to mention I have skin tags under there I am having removed in two weeks. At least I can control those, as I can't do anything about the dark splotches of yuck under there. I am gonna check out that website too!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #11  

Mug, I used to have those skin tags too. I got mine removed, along with a couple moles, when I was in high school. I never had the brown spots but I did have the dry dark skin the back of my neck. It went away thankfully as I lost weight and changed my diet. Hopefully yours goes away too!

Thanks for posting that site, I'll have to check it out!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylambert View Post
It's definitely the skin, not like a 5 o'clock shadow! Haha. Hmm, maybe waxing would help though, less irritation. The only thing I've ever had waxed is my eyebrows and even that hurt like crazy. Any reccomendations for home kits?
Do not wax your armpits at home! It is the most painful area to wax so you if you are going to go that route- and it does leave you unbelievably smooth- go to a professional. I will wax my own eyebrows normally, but anything else I leave to Ciera at Eden II.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:15 AM   #13  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

i agree - i did it once - and it hurt more than my but - which is also sensitive and hurts. Remember - what tickles the most hurts THE MOST!
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:43 AM   #14  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylambert View Post
Mug, I used to have those skin tags too. I got mine removed, along with a couple moles, when I was in high school.I never had the brown spots but I did have the dry dark skin the back of my neck. It went away thankfully as I lost weight and changed my diet.
Dark patches of skin at your joints (knees, elbows, underarms) as well as the neck and the skin tags can be a symptoms of PCOS.

Here is something I found on a PCOS website: "Skin tags can form as a result of PCOS. They are usually found in the armpits, at the bra line or neck and can easily be removed by a dermatologist. Darkening and thickening of the skin can also occur around the neck, groin, underarms or skin folds. This condition, called Acanthosis Nigricans, is a sign of insulin resistance, the underlying cause of PCOS."

It may be worth talking to your gynocologist about it at your next appointment.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:08 AM   #15  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

There are a number of whitening creams that you could try but I personally don't like using chemicals on my body. You can get a rough body scrub (something with sea salt) and use it during showers, it helps and I do notice slight improvement
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote