3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   Facebook (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/118981-facebook.html)

Flutterby873 07-27-2007 09:24 AM

Facebook

I don't know how many of you have facebook accounts but I was browsing around it yesterday when I was bored at work and came across a group called: "You're not "full figured," "plus sized," or "voluptious," YOU'RE FAT *****!" and this is the discription of the group:

I'm so tired of our culture of praising obesity. It makes me ****ing sick. Fat girls should be shamed into thinness. You're not hot, or cute, you're ****ing nasty knock that fat **** off. Put down the ****ing twinky. No your diet soda with you value meal is not a diet. Stop eating *****. Then, look in the mirror with your clothes off and realize how ****ing fat you are. No man should have to deal with that. So, get over your high and mighty self. And P.S. ****ing stop dominating the dance floor you ****ing Cows!

I couldn't believe it when I came across it. I mean how mean and ignorant can people possibly get? Whether I was overweight or not I think I'd be disgusted by this group and how hurtful someone can be and not even care. This is the link to the group if anyone cares to see: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2788527461&ref=mf I guess the only good thing is that there's only 8 people in the group and hopefully people realize that its sick to make groups like this.

jillybean720 07-27-2007 09:33 AM

That is absolutely ridiculous. Since when does our culture praise obesity, because I certainly must have missed that memo! People getting "mooed" at in public, feeling ashamed to eat in a fast food restaurant, having a much more limited number of clothing stores to choose from, avoiding things like tight restaurant booths and amusement park ride restraints, having many doctors blame EVERYTHING on your weight (even if it's just the flu!)...yeah, I really feel "praised" :rolleyes:

Jadeybaby 07-27-2007 09:38 AM

The people who made that group must have some issues...

NightengaleShane 07-27-2007 09:40 AM

That's awful... I wouldn't have even joined it if I was thin. That is so badly based on stereotypes, and if you ARE overweight because you're a compulsive eate, you still don't deserve to be made fun of like that. I could rant on and on about how I got fat, but it sure as **** wasn't because of twinkies or fast food.

A$$holes. :mad:

jillybean720 07-27-2007 09:42 AM

FYI and FWIW, I went to that page (the link posted by Flutterby), and there is a link at the bottom of the page to "report" the page. I did so, with my reason being "attacks and individual or group." I wrote:
Under the Terms of Use, User Conduct section:
"In addition, you agree not to use the Service or the Site to:
...upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available any content that we deem to be harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, infringing, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, vulgar, obscene, fraudulent, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable"

I think this definitely qualifies as a violation of the terms of use. It is offensive, hateful, vulgar, and extremely objectionable, not to mention just downright wrong, incorrect, and uneducated. I know stupid people are entitled to their opinions, too, but not at the expense of a specific group of people (in this case, overweight women, specifically).

I know getting rid of the group won't change the opinions of the members, but there's no need to allow them the chance to spread their obvious ignorance and stupidity to others.

Lifeguard 07-27-2007 10:00 AM

Good for you Jill!

HeatherAngel 07-27-2007 10:03 AM

Good for you Jill - based on your post, I did exactly the same thing!! Hopefully, if enough people report it, they'll shut it down - at least until the ignoramuses find another page to build...

Heather :D

Flutterby873 07-27-2007 10:08 AM

Jilly, I think it’s great you reported the group. I've never noticed that you could report a group but I think I'm going to put a report in too so people know that it’s not okay to make groups like this and there are many people who are offended by it. Any person that makes a group that attempts to ridicule someone whether fat, thin, black, white, Asian, male, female, etc. should be ashamed of their selves.

Kery 07-27-2007 10:42 AM

You know, it's funny, but why is it always about women being shamed because 'men don't like looking at a fattie'? I guess we can add sexism to the general stupidity of that group.

On the other hand, we who are overweight at least have the option to diet it away. They who are idiots will never have any hope of making that go away.

Jadeybaby 07-27-2007 11:03 AM

I reported the group too, I didn't know you could report them!

junebug41 07-27-2007 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kery (Post 1792448)
You know, it's funny, but why is it always about women being shamed because 'men don't like looking at a fattie'? I guess we can add sexism to the general stupidity of that group.

That's the part that made my blood boil as well.

bida 07-27-2007 02:52 PM

I reported as well :)

Ohhkay8 07-27-2007 02:55 PM

That is just AWFUL. I'm off to report it.

Lifeguard 07-27-2007 02:58 PM

I'll join you all & report it - when I get home - facebook is blocked here at work. :-(

girlonamission020 07-27-2007 09:24 PM

Just to let ya'll know... I reported it, too. Maybe if enough people report the group it will be removed.