Need some support/knowledge/encouragement!

• Why is my weight fluctuating so much??? Is this normal? I started my fitness/weight-loss plan last Tuesday, so it's been 8 days. My starting weight was 160.8. When I weighed myself on Monday it was 157.2 (YAY)! Now, two days later, it's back up to 159.4. WHY? Haha, I know I'm overreacting, but I was so excited on Monday and now feel discouraged. I've been working out every day and following my diet with only one slight slip-up, so what gives? I've been working with weights every day, could I already be gaining muscle mass? I didn't think that would happen so quickly, but what do I know?

Thanks guys!
  • Weigh flucates for a lot of reasons. In the "Support" forum their is a sticky thread about it.

I pick a weight in day and that is the only day that I count my weight. I do weigh myself every day but I don't count them. I lose the same 5 pounds during the course of a week. So if Saturday, my weigh in day, I weigh 185 then at some point during the week I'll generally be up to 190 and eventually down to 184 or 183 the next Saturday. It depends on how much salt I eat, what type of food I am eating, how much water v. how much pop I'm drinking, what time of the month it is, ect. It also depends on what time of day you are weight yourself, I'm 2 - 3 pounds heavier in the afternoon then in the morning.

I hope that helps! And keep up the good work!
  • To be honest with you I weight myself pretty much every day, usually in the morning before my shower and I keep track of it, but I only consider the weight weekly when I report it on a challenge that I am doing. I just like to see how my weight fluctuates but I know that will happen! Don't get upset or frustrated with daily fluctuation just watch it weekly! I hope that makes sense!! You are doing great!!
  • Yup, you need to weigh yourself at the same time every day. My weight fluctuates as much as 5 pounds throughout the day. I personally like to weigh myself in the morning, before food or water retention. My morning weight and my mid-afternoon weight are usually close to identical, so I'm pretty sure my morning weight is accurate. However, my evening weight is the most depressing, so I avoid weighing myself then. I personally observe my changes to see how they've progressed from week to week, because (unless I'm on my TOM) that's the most accurate way to go.
  • PS: you haven't gained muscle just yet. Working out often causes water retention, especially with muscles that are not used to it and therefore prone to being sore.
  • No, you can't gain muscle mass that quickly and like RememberHowToSmile said, there are about a gazillion reasons for weight to fluctuate. Since it is only a couple of pounds I wouldn't be overly concerned. it could be water retention from TOM fluctuations, increased sodium intake or water retention in your muscles due to working out. Are you weighing yourself at the same time of day and under the same circumstances? I used to be absolutely stunned at the smallest fluctuation, but after a while you can kind of predict them... and someitmes it's even a good wake up call. Gosh, after a weekend of entertaining, I woke up yesterday 4 pounds heavier than on Friday, but am already 3 pounds back down today. Just the ebb and flow of our bodies, I gues
  • Thanks for the reassurance, guys. From now on I'm going to try to weigh myself only once a week. When I started this I told myself that I wasn't going to weigh every day because I didn't want to become obsessed with the number on the scale, but it's so easy to get sucked into it! But from now on I'll just weigh once a week.