Old 06-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/173/148

Height: 5'7"

Default Knee Injury - Need ideas

I need some ideas, my husband has been trying to lose weight with me. We have an elliptical machine at home, but he has injured his knee at work and is unable to work out on the machine, and right now he is limited on walking/standing because of the injury. It should heal itself with rest and meds, what I'm asking is there anything he can do at home to burn calories? We will be going to California in 5 weeks, and he wants to look good. I told him he already looks good, in February he weighed 248 pounds and he now weighs 226 pounds. I think 22 pounds is great, seeing how he's been sick on and off for the past 2 months with a kidney infection then a bladder infection. I told him I'd ask for some suggestions on what he can do while he's down with the knee injury, maybe something upper body? I can't really think of anything to change with his eating habits, he no longer eats out for lunch. He packs a healthy lunch, I help him figure how much in calories he needs and usually slice up his fruits for him. I also give him healthy "snacks" (Kashi Bars, Raisins, Smart Portion Muffins, Kashi crackers) because he doesn't get hunger pains until his body is past hungry and into starving mode, he knows his body does better when he eats every 2-3 hours. So I think his food is in good order, we do eat out every so often but try to make better choices on what we eat when we don't have the time to cook. We appreciate any tips you can give us.
Samybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #2  
Doing this for me!

S/C/G: 147/139.0/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Samybear,

Perhaps your husband could focus on weight training his upper body? Its not aerobic exercise, but weight training does burn calories, and helps to rev up your metabolism.
stiebena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #3  
No pain, no gain.

Height: 6'3"

Swimming and aquatherapy is the way to go with a knee injury.
It can provide a great aerobic and resistance workout with limited stress on the knee joint.
It should be pretty easy to gain acess to a pool and find an aquatherapy workout online.

Good luck and let me know how it works out.
glitterlicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:06 AM   #4  

First make sure you get a second opinion about the knee. When I was a kid I blew my knee. But my lovely doc said I tore a legiment and that was it told me the best thing I could do for it was to lose weight.

Years down the road I went to another dr who said that dr should have scoped my knee. I had no acl joint and loads of damage done to my knee due to the fact I had no acl. My knee would give out at any time.

Knee issues are tricky what works for one person might not for another. Someone once told me that swimming was the best that it was low impact. Not true for me. I ended up tearing another ligement.

The one thing that does help for me is stretching every day before I do anything else.
bethmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 AM   #5  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

yeah - I also tore my ACL
but there is a bike machine just for your arms at some bigger gyms - aerobic and no lower body needed (not fun)
also with swimming you can just not kick (becuase if the knee is injured still not great to kick)
and I agree - upper body weights - i need to take my own advice -s prianed my ankle pretty badly almost two weeks ago - and have been sitting on my *** and/or walking - my muscles - say bye bye
bida is offline   Reply With Quote