Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Has anyone ever tried?

Deleted

Last edited by Dreamer85; 06-18-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Dreamer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #2  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

I tried slim fast for about a month maybe two years ago. I definitely didn't like the whole liquid breakfast and lunch thing. I guess I just like having something solid in me. To make a long story short, it didn't work for me because I really chowed down for dinner since my breakfast and lunch were so unsatisfying.
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #3  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Slimfast isn't meant to be used alone for breakfast and lunch..It should be used in conjuction with fruit, veggies, etc. Goto the slimfast website and check it out.

I keep the powdered stuff around all the time. I love making a shake for breakfast and eating a banana or a half bagel with it. They are delicious. I like the milk chocolate kind. I don't use them for every morning though, just an option. I also use them if I want a light lunch, or for desert if I am having a sweet tooth. They are packed with nutrients.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:44 AM   #4  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Not sure if SlimFast improved their formulations since I last tried them (well over a decade ago, when my Mom attempted that diet) but I remembered them tasted horrible and disgusting (with a tinge of artifical vanilla/chocolate) - I'd much rather spend my allotted calories on tastier real foods, or at least yummier bars (which in my experience are usually those that aren't specifically geared towards weight-loss--my current favorites are CLIF/Luna bars, with me being able to identify all the ingredients! -- followed up shortly by FiberOne bars & Penny's Low Fat Muffins/Cookies, both of which are jam packed with filling, nutritious fiber!)

That being said, I think SlimFast, or any other "substitute all/part of a meal with X product", may be good for the short-term to those can can commit to the idea substituing a meal/snack with SlimFast products, or for occasional use as a quick thing on the go (I keep a few Boost shakes around for that purpose), but is costly and not as effective for weight-loss in the long run.

And did I mention how yucky it tastes?

Last edited by AquaWarlock; 06-13-2007 at 01:49 AM.
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:07 AM   #5  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I don't like the ones in a can at all. They have a distinct metallic taste. But the powder you mix with milk is really good. And you can toss it in the blender with some fruit and ice, and have a nice little smoothie.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 375/ticker/275

Height: 5'7.5"

That is a wonderful idea Sockmonkey! I've been looking for something yummy to put in my stomach for breakfast. I hate eating breakfast and usually just skip it (making an effort not to now that I'm losing weight), and cereal's getting blah. I do think I'll try the smoothie idea.
MarinePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #7  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I second the can ones tasting like metal. But I haven't ever tried the powder... I'll have to give that a try sometime, because other than it tasted like metal, and was slightly chalky it wasn't that bad (I had the milk chocolate as well).
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/*ticker*/140

Height: 5'6"

I love slim fast! especially rich chocolate royale... I haven't bought any in awhile.. I think I'll make a special trip to the grocery store.
Dreamer85... have you tried any of the frozen meals like smart ones, lean cuisines, or healthy choice? These are so yummy, and most of them have no preservatives. There are sooo many to choose from, and I actually look forward to eating them. It's a good way to change it up every once in awile. I also love knowing the exact amount of calories I'm taking in. As a college student, these have definitely been a lifesaver!
caseygail21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #9  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

I LOVE Slim Fast in a can! I really do! I get the milk chocolate, they are 3 points for us WWers. I never noticed a metallic taste. I drink it with a straw. I use them after I wi on Saturday morning, because I head straight to my son's bowling league. I like them. Maybe I should try the powder...
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #10  

I'm using Slim Fast right now. It's hard, though. Certain times of the day, I get very hungry and a can of slim fast doesn't exactly hit the spot. But like it has already been said, you can still eat solids with it, just in moderation. Which helps, once you get used to the smaller portions. Or maybe that's just something I struggle with? The idea of a half sandwich seems like it'll just make me hungrier for more. Even though it's hard for me to fight the cravings and everything, this plan seems to work quite well for me. I'm a nanny, and with my little charges at such a young age, I don't have time to make a decent breakfast or lunch. I can drink a shake and eat a banana with a baby in my arms. It's convenient, for the most part. Just a little hard to get past the tummy grumbles at first.
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #11  
Bringing Sexy Back!

S/C/G: 125kg/125kg/70kg

Height: 164cm

I'll go against the grain here.

I think they're a bad idea. They're great as a short term thing, but what happens when you get to your goal weight? You go back to your old habbits as you haven't learnt how to eat properly. The weight comes back on. They set you up to fail.
Renny Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #12  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

For some reason when I would drink SlimFast I would want to eat more. It wasn't filling for me. I'm sure it works for some but not me.
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Liquid meals don't work for me... plus, they taste NASTY! And when I tried liquid meals, I'd just want to eat more, too... they didn't fill me up at all AND I was going, "ewww..." the whole time I was drinking it. Definitely not for me! And as others have said, it isn't very good for long term results. Developing healthy regular eating habits will take you much further.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:28 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

Oh... Smart Ones and Lean Cuisines can be pretty good. I personally love the three-cheese stuffed rigatoni (Lean Cuisine), the butternut squash ravioli (also Lean Cuisine, and it has 2 servings of veggies in it), and Smart Ones has great lasagna.

Yeah, I'm a pasta fiend. Plus, I don't like eating meat in frozen dinners. I don't know why... I just feel like frozen dinner meat never turns out right. Or maybe I'm just picky.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 280/271.4/200

Height: 5'8"

I use them mainly in the mornings when I don't have time for a bowl of cereal or oatmeal. I use the ones in the cans, but I have never noticed the metallic taste....I can only do the French Vanilla ones though....I think that they are a good substitue for people who don't have time in the morning!
ShellyMae is offline   Reply With Quote