3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   exercising to make up for binge? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/114372-exercising-make-up-binge.html)

flabBgone87 06-04-2007 11:05 PM

exercising to make up for binge?

Okay...so I didn't do so well today. Correction. I did everything I was supposed to...but I also ate a spicy chicken crunchwrap supreme from taco bell, coming in at 540 calories.

So, if I workout an "extra" 540 calories 2morrow morning does that "erase" the effects of the food?

(I have a heart rate monitor that tells me calories so it's a decent way of calculating cal burned)

I usually go workout 6 days a week and I would jsut be adding in an "extra" workout to "make up" for that. Does that make sense? Should I do that? Is there a down side in doing that?

I realize that making this a habit isn't a good thing because at some point (like when classes start again) i'm not going to have the time to do this. Plus, overexerting myself on a regular basis can't be a good thing. But doing it this one time....

I need to/want to make up for this...

SoulBliss 06-04-2007 11:11 PM

Do you really consider 540 calories to be a "binge" :(

If you actually have an eating disorder, exercising to "make up" for overeating is an unwise move.

:hug:

ellakay 06-04-2007 11:22 PM

I dont think 1 500cal mistake is going to impact your progress too much, so I wouldnt worry about it.

But if psychologically it makes you feel better and more motivated to think you 'canceled' it out, I think doing some moderate excercise the 7th day would be good. 1 or 1.5 hours of moderate cardio would prob burn about 500cal and it wouldnt be too exerting or burn you out too much. go for a walk w/ a friend or bike ride. make it fun! good luck!

lizziness 06-04-2007 11:30 PM

My first thought was that it was eating disorder behavior too. :( I think if you work out that hard as it is, and watch your calories as it is, that one slip up isn't going to blow everything.

flabBgone87 06-04-2007 11:32 PM

No, I do not have an eating disorder.

I haven't been dieting for long....three days in fact.

I probably should not have used the word "binge." But basically, I ate it. And I should not have eaten it. I should have eaten something healthy, becuase yes, I was hungry but there are plenty of better choices that I could have made.

I'm just asking if there is a way to "make up" for my poor choice.

I see where you guys are coming from...when I reread my post, if I didn't know myself I would think that this person had an eating disorder too. I don't have one...but I made it sound like I did in my post!

Sorry for the confusion, thanks for the support. I will do an extra workout 2morrow and forget about it.

caseygail21 06-05-2007 02:12 PM

I'm not saying that you have an eating disorder but "binging" and then exercising more to "make up for it" is deffinitly not healthy and could lead to disordered eating. In fact, it's a type of bulemia. Instead of purging some girls overexercise when they feel they have overate. I'm not saying this is you, but you should deffinitly be careful with this type of thinking. Instead, when you mess up just be sure to get right back on track the next day! That is the hard part!

NightengaleShane 06-05-2007 02:25 PM

Mmmmmm now I want a crunchwrap! MMMMM CRUNCHWRAP!!!

But the others are right - 540 calories of cheating isn't going to stunt your progress. You need 3,500 calories to gain a pound, just like you need 3,500 to lose one :)

Dreamer85 06-05-2007 09:53 PM

I don't know... I guess I'm the odd ball.

I definitely wouldn't consider it punishment, or canceling it out... But an additional 20-30 minutes, or an extra day won't hurt... But you're early in your dieting, so this wouldn't be something I'd worry about. And trying to fix "mistakes" so early in your diet can lead to failure and quitting... The best thing to do when dieting is remove all pressure and remember its a journey and not a race! Its all about progress.

Sometimes I get in that extra 15 minutes, because it makes me feel a little better after a heavy lunch, like a step towards taking care of myself... But doing it as punishment or feeling overwhelming guilt isn't a good thing and can possibly lead to unhealthy habits. But at the same time, I've been doing really well with the dieting thing, so sometimes I say "Oh I can eat this, because I'll be up on that treadmill later" and I don't think theres anything wrong with that... I guess moderation is the key to everything, even mental health?

trnsfrmnreplace 06-06-2007 12:18 PM

I agree with the rest. This will not impact your weightloss, the only way this would get in the way of losing weight and becoming healthier is if you ate junk everyday.

Angela0806 06-06-2007 02:44 PM

540 calories isnt that bad. I am counting calories and if i eat a little too much at one meal I can compensate by adjusting my intake in the next meal. I do not see how exercising a little bit more is in any way unhealthy just don't over do anything. 500 Calories is not enough for even a half a pound weight gain. So, dont worry about the crunchwrap. Just keep yourself on track and dont stess about 540 calories. I promise that the pounds came on with more than that in the first place. Talk to u soon.

janamonkey 06-06-2007 05:02 PM

I understand where you are coming from. I too love Taco Bell, and I too want to make up for my eating mistakes by working out more. I would say, as long as it isn't becoming some obsessive behavior then go for it. The least it will do is make you feel better!

And I also agree that 500c will not make or break you :D

lizziness 06-07-2007 11:12 AM

hey, just wanted to follow up glad to know you aren't going down that track... and I didn't think you were there - just ... it is so easy to get there and no realize how it happened, you know?
Working out a little harder to make up is one thing - habitually eating too much and exercising to "cancel" it out is another. :)