Old 05-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default introducing me!

Hi! I'm new to this thing - don't really know my way around it! Ive been pointed in the direction of the 20 something thread - would be great to get to know a few people my own age who are trying to lose weight. I think it's just as difficult for us twentysomethings to lose weight - we have such a hectic lifestyle and sometimes eating crap is the only sustanance for the day! And the drinking too - has anyone else found the going out to the pub a bit of a problem? Anyways would be great to meet other girls and hear their stories! x
themonkeysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/166/135

Height: 5'5.5"

Welcome!

I def. agree about the drinking thing. Seems like alcohol is the pathway to all bad foods for me especially garlic fries with ranch... those evil things!
janamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #3  

Height: 5'5"

I know, dont you hate it when you've been out on a bit of a crazy one and you just can't help but buy some sort of junk food! It's like it out of your control!!
themonkeysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #4  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

I agree with the drinking thing - its so hard because you know there are so many empty calories in alcohol...ugghhh. Then once you get tipsy there is nothing like a nice greasy something to help sober you up a little...hahah...i've had to learn to cut back on my alcohol intake and choose wiser....such as red wine, whiskey and diet coke, etc...
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #5  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonkeysuncle View Post
Hi! I'm new to this thing - don't really know my way around it! Ive been pointed in the direction of the 20 something thread - would be great to get to know a few people my own age who are trying to lose weight. I think it's just as difficult for us twentysomethings to lose weight - we have such a hectic lifestyle and sometimes eating crap is the only sustanance for the day! And the drinking too - has anyone else found the going out to the pub a bit of a problem? Anyways would be great to meet other girls and hear their stories! x
I live/go to school in Ottawa, but I'm originally from Vancouver. I went back for a week or so in February, got together with a bunch of friends at an Irish pub and drank 6 or 7 double vodka diet cokes. At the time, I was allowed to have 2 starches a day, so the 12 starches I had to write down in my food diary looked pretty ridiculous. The girls at LA Weight Loss were worried I was an alcoholic. I've pretty much given up on drinking since then, but even when I don't drink, there's still the awesomeness of pub food!!! Absolute torture

Anyway, welcome, and good luck with all of your weight loss goals!
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

Height: 5'3"

Hi there! Welcome!

Yess to what everyone says about the drinking!
I've given up drinking on the weekdays - but the weekends are so hard!
One drink always leads to another, etc.
And I'm not quite ready to give up that lifestyle...
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:19 PM   #7  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Well, drinking has never been my downfall.......... sweets are!!! I would rather have my starches in candy form!

Welcome!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:34 AM   #8  
Jazzercise away the fat!!

S/C/G: 215/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

Ugh! I understand! I love to have some beers on the weekend. I'm a lot better than I used to be, because now that I have a son, I only drink on the weekend. I used to drink every night!!
mamaplots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 AM   #9  
~~Joanne~~

S/C/G: 178/151/150

Height: 5'3

Welcome!

I used to drink every weekend, with a friend of mine. We would get our husbands to go to mcdonalds and get us a cheeseburger b/c that is what we always craved when we would drink..we did gain weight! So I will not be doing all that again lol. I'll have my wine cooler every now and then, but thats enough for me lol.
wateraddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 150ish/???/125

Height: 5'2"

I'm so glad you brought this up... alcohol is definitely my downfall. I am graduating from college in 3 weeks and classes are over so it is really ultimate party time. There is no way I will be able to drink even a moderate amount of alcohol over the next few weeks, and I agree with everyone about the food that comes with it! I try to stick to wine if I'm just hanging out with friends or eating dinner and vodka tonics or vodka sodas at the bars, but I always end up having way more than I should, and being hungover pretty much means eating crap all day..... not good!
snowbunny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Wow, glad I read this post!

Drinking is totally my downfall as well. I used to be able to drink like a fish, and drinking was a big part of most social activities. Then life changed a little (I moved away from all my drinking buddies) and I became really self conscious of drinking alone. And two things happened.

1) The first 5 lbs fell off.
2) I now have no tolerance at all.

I really only drink on special occassions now! Good luck and welcome to the board!
Beaullah13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #12  
Sarah

S/C/G: 170/127/127

Height: 5'4"

Speaking of drinking, I have an annoucement to make. This morning, I made the decison that I am never going to drink again.

I have come to this conclusion for several reasons. Firstly, alcohol has waaay to many calories. I would much rather eat a chocolate bar or a steak.

Secondly, I don't really like the taste. I hate beer, I hate wine, and I can only tolerate vodka when it's mixed with Coke, and even then, the taste is only reasonable when I'm already drunk.

Which brings me to another point: I only drink to get drunk. It's fun and all, but I think I can be confident or an idiot or a flirt pefectly well using my sober personality; and if not, then clearly I need to practice, and the alcohol is doing me more harm than good.

Fourthly, hangovers. This is an obvious one; they make me feel icky, and I lose entire days to their awfulness.

Finally, and a little more seriously, I recently read into a few studies that have been done about alcohol and breast cancer risk. While it may not be a HUGE increase, the risk did go up about 10% on average among test subjects who drank regularly. This stat scares me a little, because my mom died of breast cancer when she was 39, with no family history or anything; the only cause that jumps out at me from the list is alcohol, as she struggled with alcoholism for a few years.

So that's my reasoning. I don't think it will be very hard to abstain, because that one night in February is the only time I've had alcohol since I started the program. It's not something I need, or even really want. So I would like to take this opportunity to officially announce that I'm never drinking again.

And because this decision wasn't made after a night of drinking, it's not just an empty promise
momerath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

I mix my drinks with diet soda and totally stay away from beer. I only have one drink believe or not. I drink it really quickly so that I can catch a buzz for a little while. I moved recently and started drinking more than usual. I gained a ton of weight. I think in the past 2 months I have at 2 drinks to relieve some terrible stress. I think the biggest problem with drinking is definitely the cravings it produces. Luckily for me my fav junk food is from JIB and there are none of those in GA.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote