Old 04-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #1  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Default What kind of supplements do you take?

I was noticing on my FitDay journal that I am not getting enough of quite a few essential nutrients. I want to start taking a multivitamin, but I don't know whic one would be good for me.

Any suggestions?
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #2  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

I take a pack of vitamins designed especially for women from the vitamin shoppe. My husband is really into body building and fitness and is at vitamin shoppe or gnc all the time. When i first started my weight loss journey we went to one of the stores and talked to the people there and they suggested the pack that i take. there are a few pills that i take throughout the day...before i really got serious i took a multi vitamin for weight control.
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

An independent lab recently found potentially toxic levels of lead in the Vitamin Shoppe's women's multi vitamin....
http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/...erlab-com-lead

That same lab found that One A Day Women's daily multi vitamin a very safe bet that contained all of the vitamins listed on the label (no more, no less and no scary extras like lead). Since then I've switched from Kirkland brand (costco) to One A Day Women's daily multi.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #4  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Thanks for the info genesis! I had not heard about that! That's awful!! Luckily the ones i take aren't the vitamin shoppe brand...i'm assuming they are only concerned with the vitamin shoppe brand vitamins?
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/219/150

Height: 5'2"

I also take One-A-Day women's daily multivitamins. They're very inexpensive, and you can buy them anywhere. I started taking them at the suggestion of my doctor, so I'm guessing they must be pretty decent. Bonus: it's pretty easy to find generics of 'em at Wal-Mart and such, and I can't imagine they're any different than the real deal. Just, you know, 50% cheaper.
kella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 02:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 260/209/150

Height: 5'6"

I take the womens one a day, a vitamin C and a calcium.
Jessie_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 186/???/130

Height: 5'5

Do u have a wellness center around you? Its the best thing i ever did. The herbalist takes a muscle reflex test, to determine what nutrients you are lacking. then you get supplements. Im on 6 different ones. For liver, gall bladder, intestines, my csecton scar. They get rid of toxins in these areas. Until I saw her, i couldnt lose weight. I tried everything. im down 18 lbs just by following the "diet" and ridding the toxins, and its been only 1 month. Look into it, i can send you info if your interested!
mimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Something to keep in mind is that buying generic doesn't always mean that you're getting the same product as the name brand. The Consumer Labs independent study of several daily multi vitamins found that many daily multi vitamins contained harmful levels of vitamins (waaay in excess of what the label read) or contained lead or other toxic extra ingredients. Out of the daily multi vitamins this lab tested, one of the best was the name brand One-A-Day Women's. Centrum Silver was also a top performer as well as Sam's Club brand daily multi. The old adage 'you get what you pay for' is often true. I would rather pay a bit more for my vitamins knowing that I'm not poisoning myslef day after day. Just food for thought.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 AM   #9  
*meow*

One-a-day women's daily Multi vitamin for me!

I tried the one for weight loss and I did not notice a difference.
JLynne126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 04:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270?/234/190

Height: 5'11

i supplement my diet with a formula for hair, skin, and nails. its basically a multivitamin with extra things like biotin and other b vitamins. then again, i take it because it has improved my hair, skin, and nails dramatically. its a three time a day vitamin, though, which is annoying. i take it 2x a day, 2 in the am, and 1 more sometime during the day. be careful with multivitamins that have high iron/zinc content...it can REALLY upset your stomach.
CecelliaStrick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:51 PM   #11  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I take Viactiv multivitamins in berry glide (yummy, it is a berry flavored coating) and calcium in vanilla glide.
Make sure you get your calcium in girls!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 PM   #12  
Woman on a mission

Height: 5'10"

I take One A Day Womens. But I've noticed if I dont eat enough before I take it I get very nauseous. Anyone else have that problem??
MaNdA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:50 PM   #13  
Going the rest of the way

S/C/G: 188/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

MaNdA22, it's probably the iron in the supplement that's doing that -- I get the same thing with any supplements with iron.

I take:

-MultiPlus vitamins & minerals (every 3rd day, as it irritates my medical condition if I have it too often)
-calcium + magnesium
-Vitamin D (medical reasons)
-evening primrose oil (around TOM)
-fibre supplements

I have a medical condition that restricts my diet quite a bit, so I have to be careful to get my nutrients!

Last edited by maalisse; 04-03-2007 at 12:28 AM. Reason: duh...forgot fibre!
maalisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #14  
Token Vulcan

I take the Viactiv calcium chews (raspberry, yum) 3 times a day. I take One A Day multi for women an average of about 3 times a week. Recently I bought some zero-cal and lo-cal powder mixes for my bottles of water...some of them have vitamins, fiber.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/148/125

I'm glad you asked this Sockmonkey!

I really need to start taking a vitamin - sounds like a lot of you like the One-a-Day's. And calcium! Whenever I talk to my mom she always asks if I am getting enough calcium (answer: no).

I'm just so bad at remembering to take them everyday
silver plum is offline   Reply With Quote