3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   20-Somethings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings-56/)
-   -   So embarassed to ask this... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/20-somethings/105129-so-embarassed-ask.html)

futurepixie 03-19-2007 08:09 PM

I know that this is not the goal, buuuuut......

one thing that is kind of motivational for cutting back in the frequency that i drink is that i am transforming myself into a cheap drunk- woohoo! between eating lighter and better (salad just doesn't soak up beer like loaded fries do) and just generally drinking less, i don't feel the need to drink half as much. that is good for something right? I mean my bar tabs are no longer cringe worthy. And I find myself volunteering to be DD more too.

it is sort of sad that when I am talking to myself about drinking like i do with food and one of the things that I discuss with myself is that if i don't drink this day then it will be this long since i drank, which means that i will be feeling swell after this many drinks.......aren't I the little schemer.

JaimePhan 03-20-2007 11:56 AM

Quote:

Ugh. I can resist cakes and cookies and chocolate like nobody's business, but I can't resist a good beer!
Hahahahaha, I know! That's why I am THRILLED we have this thread going! ;)

Well, Saturday and Sunday I drank both a few dark stouts and a few glasses of red wine, but ate POP. Last night, I had one glass and let BF have the other that was leftover in the bottle from Sunday. Usually, I would have poured myself a double and let him suffer! Hahahahahaha, I am greedy. So, just one glass...I would have loved more, but I refused to go out just for wine. Tonight I have a happy hour date at a wine and tapas bar, which is perfect bc red wine is my drink if I want to stay on plan and they will definitely have a salad or healthy app that I can order. My goal is to leave the bar and go right home, without the whole, "Have you been to that OTHER bar that opened yet? We should have a night cap, OR we should grab a bottle of red and go back to your place for ONE MORE DRINK..."

No.

I will have my 2 glasses of red wine at the bar and that. Is. IT.

No drinking tomorrow, then I WILL be drinking red wine at another happy hour party on Thursday, and then NO drinking Friday. So it looks like this week is my planned out, every other night drinking week.

Ah well. It could be worse, and like I always say; as long as I am losing, I am not changing my drinkin' "weighs". When I stall or gain, I will tweak.

SavingServo 03-20-2007 03:09 PM

My school's newspaper (which is God awful) just ran a piece where they had people write down all the drinks they had in one night out and then they added up the calories.
Some people had over 1,000 calories! :faint: And it wasn't like they were talking to the linebackers or anything, it was mainly fairly normal-small sized girls!

alinnell 03-20-2007 03:43 PM

Wouldn't it be divine if alcohol was calorie-free?

Last night I did limit my wine intake......I said I'd stop at 1 glass, instead it was closer to 2, but I did stop. Tonight is out to a Mexican place for dinner. I'll try to stop at 1 Margarita (or split the 2nd with DH like we did last week).

jellydisney 03-22-2007 07:34 AM

This is it! This is the week I am finally going to make my goal of not drinking from Sunday through Friday. I haven't had any alcohol since last Saturday. Woohoo for not drinking my daily calories! Now lets hope I don't go nuts this weekend :D

alinnell 03-22-2007 11:33 AM

Sh*t. I said I'd stop at 1 glass each night.....last night it was two, and two large ones. I fell asleep in front of the TV at 7 PM!!! DH laughed at me. I'll have to stop at 1 tonight b/c I only have that much left!

futurepixie 03-22-2007 12:01 PM

Wooo restraint! I had three beers last night, which i worked into my plan. and they were light beers. boooo!

the thing that ticks me off is the not just the calories, but the other ways drinking derails me. like how i decided not to do do pilates last night at all. or when i get too hung over to run. double boo!

jellydisney, good for you! i get so proud of myself if I make it through a weekend without drinking.

junebug41 03-25-2007 11:48 PM

I just returned from Nashville and I had one night of drinking and learned that Jack Daniels may be a friend of someone's, but he's no friend of mine!

Thankfully, it kept me with just enough of a tummyache that I didn't go near any of the micro brews that I was planning on tasting. With 8 hours of acquainting myself with the toilet in my room at the Hilton and behaving the rest of the trip (and running!) I came home -2 pounds. Go know.

As for the whole Jen not drinking thing, I'm back to it. I won't want a drink for a verrrrrrrry lonnnnnnnnng time.

AquaWarlock 03-26-2007 12:01 AM

I exercised a bit of restraint last night (actually, had to - it was a 7-course vodka & cheese tasting @ an artisanal cheese shop... I drank about half of each shot, but did also drink a glass of pinot that came out as a surprise to accompany one of the cheeses.)

And yea, I like the motivating side effects of being a cheap drunk too - except now I really have trouble with any wine I'd open at home, if I only drink once/day (it usually can go 2-3 days max before off-flavors sneak in.)

alinnell 04-05-2007 07:15 PM

Okay, we haven't visited this thread lately, but I just had to chime in......I've been 3 days without wine and well into day #4 and with a meeting tonight so I'm certain I'll make it 4 days without wine (or any other alcoholic beverage)! Actually, it's been 6 days without wine, but I had some martinis and beer last weekend. I'm not so sure what the weekend will hold, so don't think I'm some prude who is abstaining forever! It has definitely kick started me back into the weight loss--I've dropped 1.5 pounds in 5 days! I'm pretty psyched about it (and even more so--I'm amazed at my will power. I bought 4 bottles of wine on Saturday and they remain UNOPENED in my kitchen wine rack!

maegdaeien 04-05-2007 09:06 PM

Haha, very interesting thread! And I have to admit that I totally belong here. I'm a college student, I'm 21, and I loooooove beer (especially Killian's, which is 150 calories per bottle!). What I've been doing lately is allowing myself 1 night a week of going out and drinking as much as I want, and just make sure to eat carefully enough the rest of the week to balance it out calorie-wise.

But yeah, one of the hardest things about dieting was having to cut out those 1 or 2 "OMG I just got home from a really long day and I need to RELAX" drinks. :( Ice cream and chocolate have no power over me, but a good cold beer totally gets my mouth watering.

kella 04-06-2007 01:26 AM

This isn't 100% on topic, but here it goes anyway: I'm jealous of these folks who get to go to Bonnaroo this year. I can't because I'm broke. Growing up in Nashville and currently living in Clarksville (about 50 miles NW of Nashville) I don't think I know anyone my age who isn't going. Aside from me.

Then again: dirt, crowds, insane summertime heat... maybe it's for the best.

On the topic of drinking: I love drinking. A lot. And if I know I'm going to be drinking I just cut down my calories for the day accordingly. My downfall (in more ways than one) is vodka, and I wish I didn't love vodka tonics so much. If I could afford to drink the good stuff and just do shots, my life would be much easier.

CecelliaStrick9 04-06-2007 03:03 PM

wow...where was i when this post started? im TOTALLY there..beer is the bane of my weightloss. not so much right now..but man. i love beer. and can seriously throw them back.

i just found this out, though...

"Guinness is no more fattening or calorific than any other beer of similar alcoholic strength. The beer has no fat, however it does contain protein, sugar, carbohydrates and alcohol. The alcohol accounts for 65-75% of the calorific content irrespective of the beer in question. Per pint, Draught Guinness has 210 calories; as a reference, one pint of semi-skimmed milk has 260 calories and one pint of orange juice has 220 calories. Draught Guinness actually has fewer calories than most other premium beers and lagers."

i drank guinness when i was having my brain problems..it has a slightly lower alcohol content..

theres a few other good ways to be able to drink and lose; the whole bacardi and diet (ewww), mich ultra (double ewww), vodka and soda (my personal favorite). but nothing compares to a well-brewed beer. *sigh*

alinnell 04-06-2007 04:20 PM

I agree about a well brewed beer. I love a good dark beer as long as it isn't too bitter (some are to me). But I usually drink them in moderation, so I don't see a problem there.

After a week without wine, I gave in today and had a glass with lunch.

pumpkinjuice 04-09-2007 04:00 PM

Hi everyone! I am a newly registered member, and this is my first ever post.

I can COMPLETELY relate you all on this topic. I love going out drinking with friends, and sitting around my house having a few beers after work. In the past year, I have been doing really well about cutting back on my alcohol consumption, and it really helps me stay on track with my weight loss. I try to drink only once or twice per week, and when I do, I try to stick with light beer and just pace myself.

One of the worst factors for me is when I come home late after a night of drinking. In my "carefree" state :dizzy: I end up rading the kitchen and then crashing. It's like I throw caution to the wind and eat the fattening stuff I have been wanting- but avoiding- all week long. Then the next morning if I am hung over and feel lousy, I tend to eat the bad stuff again. I think I feel bad already, and the junk food serves as sort of a "hangover remedy" for me. Can anyone relate?