runners

You're on Page 6 of 9
Go to
  • No - I have waned one - maybe that will be one of my goal presents.
    I've promised myself a new ipod (i want the nano) but a HRM would be awesome.
  • I'm asking for the a nano for my b'day (april 10).

I did some intervals today on the treadmill.
    Total Time: 30 min
    Distance covered: 2.78 miles
    Run at 5.0 for 2 min, Run at 6.0 for 2 min, repeat for 30 minutes.

I think I will do this once a week. My goal is to increase the 5.0 speed until it is at the 6.0. How does this sound?
  • Did lower body work today. Tomorrow, I think i will run 5 miles. Thought about going outside, but it's still too cold so I'll run on the indoor track tomorrow.
  • hey rai -
    glad ure up!
    I did 3.4 today and some abs. Didn't run yest cause I was up all night before - oh wait - i was dancing all the night before and today was the day I barely slept - which day is it? so confused

tomorrow I am also thinking 5er - gotta up my cals burned! but i did run a hard 3.4 today - so that is good!

B
  • Ok. Took a week off last week, but got back on track on Sunday and will continue today. I found a great 5k that just goes in one big loop and I'm amazed at how much faster it goes when I do that.

As for the Nano- I totally recommend them!!! My BF has one and he just got the Nike thing that goes in your shoe and everyone I know that has it won't shut up about how great the program is.
  • I ran (or should I say jog since I am so slow) 5 miles today. I did it in 61 minutes, about 2 minutes slower than last week, but hey some days it is like that. My husband was trying to pressure me to run faster , but I sai NO WAY! I know my pace, and I'm not trying to kill myself. He wanted to run a 10min/mile pace...Ugggh, no...that is not happening....at least not yet. Am I wrong? To me it seems impossible to go from a 12 min to a 10 min pace right now. I can do an 11:45 min pace if I am running 3 miles, and he's asking me to run 5 miles at a faster pace than that! After I finished running (he finished about 15 minutes earlier than I did), he said that he thinks that I can run at an 11 minute pace. Why can't he just understand that I am slow. Man, I'm just happy to be able to run 5 miles, and now he's harrassing me about speed. He said that he believes in me and nows that I can do it, he just thinks I need to push harder.Sure, I want to get faster, but I can't do it overnight. I feel if I go faster than I won't be able to do 5 miles, but I know I can do 5 miles at the pace I ran today and it was comfortable. Thursday I'm going to do some speed work on the treadmill (same thing that I posted earlier). Ladies, am I wrong, is it reasonable that I can run an 11 minute pace right now?

New Topic:
    I have a Garmin watch and I just bought (like on Sunday) some new Asics Gel Keyano 13. I'm still testing them out. It was between the Asics and the Brooks Adrenaline Gt7s. Originally, I thought I was going to go for the Brooks, but I left with the Asics. But now you got me thinking about getting some Nikes. Man, I better get that Nano for my b'day.

Oh yeah, Bida, today is Tuesday (at least it is in Chicago). It's also Jennifer Hudson day out here....
  • rai- you don't need a Nike shoe for the iPod thing. If that were the case I think they would lose a lot of business because I personally find Nike's to be bad running shoes (I'm a Brooks girl). As for the pace, I learned the hard way. Ross tried to push me when we were running once and I ended up collapsing. He learned his lesson the hard way on that one. My thought is that YOU should push YOURSELF, as you know your limits. I don't let anyone else push me in running because I will ignore my own cues and end up getting hurt. Of course, you may be different, but we have a lot of trust in these running partners, and for me that wasn't always a good thing.

I do know exactly what you mean. I am very slow, and I just like to run and the pace I go gives me a great workout. I just think boys are so competetive.
  • Junebug,

Which Brooks do you wear? It seems as if every female in my gym is wearing the Gt7s. It's weird. I never noticed it before, but now that I just bought new sneakers I'm looking at everyone's feet. Who is Ross? Is he your coach or your SO? Collapsing is serious, how did you get home after that? yes, that is my first thought... Men are competitive! My husband and I run together, I tried telling him that we should run separately, but he said he likes running together.
  • Does anyone know how long it typically takes to increase your speed? I saw alot of articles for running faster, but nothing stating how long it typically takes before one sees decreases in their time.
  • rai- you mean you don't know who Ross is??? My apologies, I just forget I'm in internet land sometimes. He's my SO. I was ok. I was just sitting on the curb for about 10 minutes. As for the Brooks, I'm rockin the GT six's right now. Ross has just come to the understanding that when we run together, he has to slow down his pace (he's also 6'1) or he runs the risk of carrying me home!
  • I've started running on a treadmill again...i'd forgotten how different it is to actually running on the ground. It's so much more constricted!

But all that aside I did a good 40 minutes at 11km/hr and an increasing incline from 0-6 throughout both yesterday and on saturday.

Sunday went for a (gees...almost sprint :P) around the lake. From bridge to bridge it's about 7kms and we did it just under 30 minutes. (8.75m/hr roughly). Evil man even made me do interval sprints right at the end >.<

Managed a nice morning run on monday morning (40 mins, 8kms) but I will admit with it getting darker and darker on getting up at 6:30 it's getting harder to get out there! I'm thinking i'll just go to the gym in the mornings...i like my comfort :P

Oh...and i'm proud of myself, i've entered my first 5k run! *grins* it's on April 1st...wish me luck!

Liv
  • Junebug, I think I remember you mentioning Ross in another one of your posts (something about trim and slim, or tall and slim, either way it was a post comparing ya'll heights as you ran next to him). I thought Ross was your boyfriend , but I was not too sure and I did not want to make any assumptions. How do you like your GT's ? I'm starting to get envious of them. I'm telling you every female in my gym have them. They have to be good right?

Guess what???!!! I have good news. I play on an intramural basketball team and last night WE WON THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!! It was a close game and it went into over time. We ended up winning by one point. Great game, and I was so happy because my husband played on the team with me.

Didn't do my upper body work out last night, so I'm trying to decide if I should do that tonight or should I run? I think I will do my upperbody tonight and some elliptical training. Saturday I will run.

Lyria, good run! How's the weather in Australia? A friend of mine just came back from a visit there. She brought me back a shot glass.

Gotta go.
  • whoo hoo - go rai!
    gotta do interval training today. ugh! hehe.
  • Didn't make it to the gym last night. I'm so bummed. I've been so busy with school that I have not worked out in 3 days. And the horrible thing is that I see it being like this for the rest of March. I will try to make it to the gym tonight. I think I will run. But I also plan on running Saturday morning. Will it be bad for me to run 5 miles two days in a row, or should I work my upper body? I'm trying to make 5 miles, my base mileage.

Bida, how did your interval training go?

Junebug....where are you? I hope you're out there running. One of us need to be doing something.
  • Not quite...You know when the running around catches up to you and you don't know it's coming, but you just hit "the wall"? I got so fatigued yesterday I couldn't even go to class and this with midterms going on. Oy!
    So after a mini sabbatical, I'm going to use my "official" day off to get my butt outside. I hate the thought of wasting the first bout of nice weather of the season!
    Lyria- your lake run sounds like my kind of run! Oh, and good luck on your 5k. I'm doing my first in May and am telling everyone I can so I don't chicken out.

rai- I love the 6's. Of course, this may be due to the fact that I used the same new balance's for 4 years... but I do think that a good running shoe is an essential tool in making progress.