Old 01-26-2007, 09:39 PM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default Biggest Loser Tv Series Question

how much weight did they actually lose on average a week?

someone was telling me 3-4, someone was telling me 20....

??
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/130

Height: 5'5

They did lose a lot of weight per week, but they also exercised an average of 5 hours a day. For the real world, that is unrealistic.

If you liked the show try the Biggest Loser exercise dvd with Bob. I started started it this past week (4x) and its geared toward beginners to slightly moderate. It's just enough to make you sweat nicely without killing you.

If your more advanced, try Jillian's Biggest Winner Cardiokickboxing. She's tough and it kicked my butt half way through.
hotcubanmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:41 AM   #3  
Shopaholic Anonymous

S/C/G: 180/148/127

Height: 5'5"ish

I watched a few episodes of this show myself, and though the ladies would often lose 4-6 pounds a week (big losses, but not unrealistically so), one of the gentlemen lost 20 POUNDS one week! True, this was only a single time (ie he didn';t lose 20 pounds EVERY week), but still--- that's insane!

While I tried to rationalize that he was a big guy and was going directly from his normal eating routine to a VERY strict dieting regimen (a shock to the system which can cause such losses), I still felt kind of upset by that program. While I encourage television programs that draw attention to the need for healthy eating and exercising, I don't like the unrealistic expectations that it puts in people's heads. Next thing you know, you'll have people at home going on a diet and exercise program and losing a SENSIBLE amount of weight (maybe 1-2 pounds a week), and they;ll end up being disappointed. It's really a shame, I think.
mccrew_the_jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

I watch the show every season...(hey it's motivating--I know Dr. Jeff personally)...Some of those men were VERY OBESE....if you weigh almost 400 lbs., and are male yes, you can lose 20# easier than the standard 3-4 lbs. Especially if you are doing so much varied workouts. There was one guy from last season who lost double digits consistantly.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #5  
ZenLizzie

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'4

I like the show, but it isn`t very realistic. People crying about losing 3 lbs a week? That's a little frustrating since I'd be happy to lose 3lbs in 3 weeks.
WastedThermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WastedThermos View Post
I like the show, but it isn`t very realistic. People crying about losing 3 lbs a week? That's a little frustrating since I'd be happy to lose 3lbs in 3 weeks.
I used to say the same, but you've got to remember that we don't have a gigantic cash prize riding on our weekly weight loss. They get frustrated in losing what to us is a great loss (e.g., 3 pounds a week), but it's not only because they feel they should lose weight faster--it's because to win the game, you have to have lost the highest percentage of weight, and losing consistently just 2 or 3 pounds a week when others are losing double digits ain't gonna cut it

It's hard to say what they lose "on average" because it varies sooo greatly. In the beginning, everyone (even the women) had double-digit losses. But as time went on, the losses decreased, and some even had weeks where they gained a little or didn't lose at all.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 PM   #7  

Height: 5'3

I really like the show but as others have said it is slightly unrealistic. I mean I understand the big numbers they put up the first 2 weeks..but after that..well..they are exercising and only eating what they are told to it seems like..So I dunno.. The rate they are losing I guess isn't unhealthy for them because they have doctors and such monitoring them but it does paint a somewhat unrealistic picture for those trying to lose weight and we don't lose so much in a week..well of course not..we have lives where we work, go to school, chase after kids, etc etc and can't exercise all day every day. But like someone mentioned the program is still good because it shows America has a problem with weight loss and something can be done about it.
As for how much they lost each week..it varies..Some weeks most lost about 15 lbs..other weeks it seems most only lost about 6 lbs...
gremlina is offline   Reply With Quote