Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #31  
I ve cK MZk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

So, I just realized something. I have seen people on the boards post that after sometime something doesn't really seem appealing to you like it once did, and your body craves healthier stuff? Well, I just realized that a burger and fries doesn't sound appealing to me anymore! That's progress, in my case. LOL! Now if I could just get over the craving chinese food once or twice a week.

britomart - Thanks! I went there after taking Dixie to the vet today and talked to a woman that works there named Leslie, and she said that I need a credit card as a payment backup. And also she isn't handling my contract, so...the woman who is is going to call me tomorrow. I was really hoping to work out there today, but...hopefully I will get things situated tomorrow!
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #32  
Living the Laguna life...

cookie - i would encourage you to add in some HEALTHY carbs (whole wheat bread, high fiber cereals, etc.) to your diet. they really fill you up! also, if you are hungry, you should eat!! have a small, healthy snack!

brooke - i think that sounds like a good plan for now...definitely incorporate the strength training! i try to eat a 40-30-30 diet - 40% calories healthy carbs, 30 protein, and 30 fat. some great snacks that i love (trust me this list could go on forever...) are apples + sm. amount of peanut butter, whole grain crackers + string cheese, baby carrots or pita + hummus, and energy bars (low sugar, high protein ones). i always try to combine a carb with protein to keep me full and keep my blood sugar stable!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Britomart, are you a grad student? I was an English undergrad
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #34  

Yep, that's me. Making my way through my MA. (Hey, that rhymed!)
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:45 PM   #35  
Losing To Live

S/C/G: 289/266/140

Height: 5'5

Brooke: Curves is great. I was going, however, my only problem is the hours they're open. I live in a very small town, and they open at 6, but I work early, and they close at 6, and I am busy right up until after dinner. I was really struggling to get there 3 days a week, so I eventually gave it up, and replaced it with working out at home, which I do 20 minutes in the morning, and 45 minutes in the evening after dinner and my chores are done. But I loved Curves while I was there, and good for you .
As for the percentages, I try to roughly stick to 50/30/20 (carbs/fat/protein). These are percentages of my daily and weekly calorie intake. Fit Day or CalorieKing are great for keeping track of these percentages.

Cookie: What a horrible encounter you had . People are so naive and ignorant sometimes, I think. But good for you for sticking to your diet in spite of the encounter! And welcome back!

Jamie: It's coming, it's coming! I failed to mention that after my post, I was walking out the door to work! Haha. But if you wait with abaited breath, I will produce! Your renaissance drama class sounds really neat!

The holidays were.. alright. I managed to stay close to maintaining, but I didn't stick to my diet. I simply just tried to watch my portion controls. I have since hit my "Before Christmas Weight," and surpassed it a little bit, so no harm no fowl, I'm not down about it. It could have been a lot worse.
I spent Christmas Eve with my mother and stepfather out of town, and Christmas Day with my mother-in-law and father-in-law. It was great, we really enjoyed ourselves. And I purchased a brand new SmartCook Crock Pot! It's more sophisticated than the current, so I don't feel queasy about leaving it home alone while on. YEAH!

Work is starting to get stressful, but then again, it's T4 time, and taxes, EYEEE ::runs screaming::

I hope I survive the whole payroll aspect of it. I walked in to the company when things were all messed up, and I've fixed what I can, but it's definitely going to put a crimp in my style this tax season. I'm thinking about going back to school (night school, I'll have to travel to the next town over) and actually take some accounting courses. Then they'd have to pay me more! Hah, yes!

Other than that, not much is really new. I'm tired a lot, Cabouche (our new adopted kitty) has been declawed, came home yesterday, and although the vet said he'd be a lot more finnicky and bite more, we've never gotten along better. He tore up the receptionists arms with his teeth, but so far he doesn't seem to be too mad at me And I discovered that he is a great snuggler. I couldn't let him snuggle before because he kneads when he snuggles, and it HURTS! But it's all great now! We're like lovers from a dangerous time or something!

Alright, I've got some work to do on a work project I'm working on, so I'm going to head out. You know work is bad when you're doing work at home. Eep!
martiniforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #36  

Good morning girls! Thanks so much for all of the encouraging messages. I have been sooo good on my restricting calories diet - no cheating for 2 weeks. Unfortunately the only way for me to lose weight I have found is if I restrict calories. I mean, I was thin in high school when I did and then started to gain weight in college until I restricted calories and lost weight. Then I graduated college and no surprise gained 20 pounds!!! Can you believe I gained 20 pounds in just 6 months??? Eventually I'll start bringing a few carbs back and my weight watcher sundae dessert cups. But for now, I have to be drastic. Although today I am eating a lean cuisine for lunch cuz I'm sick of the usual turkey burger with veggys so that is kind of my special treat. Can you believe a lean cuisine is a special treat???

So my friend is on a diet and she has all of these pictures of herself when she was thin on her fridge. I on the otherhand do the opposite. I put the pictures of me looking very heavy on the fridge. My problem is sometimes I sitll think I am that thin, I don't realize the 20 pounds I've gained becuz I see myself everydays. It's the pictures that I'm like "whoah is that really me?" that affect me.
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #37  
Proud Marine Wife

S/C/G: 201.5/199/150

Cookie, that's a good idea. I would put a picture of myself on my fridge with all the goods hangin out and not hidden like I'm good at doing, but my husband wouldn't want to touch me again haha. I do things to take my attention off the fridge. Put a crossword puzzle or something on the fridge, so everytime you go to grad something from boredom you have something else to do. I'll think I'm hungry and then get into a tv show or game and forget about it. And I'm starting to realize that whole hunger scale thing, when I'm perfectly comfy and when I could eat the whole cow.
And I've noticed that with the menus I've always made weekly, I can go ahead and enter it the day before on FitDay and fill it out based on serving sizes and when I actually eat, the amount I allow myself is sometimes too much. Has or did anyone else notice that in the beginning? It's like you need less food, especially when you see it broken down by fat, carbs and protein and then out on a plate...
TracyFAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #38  

Afternoon, ladies! I'm home from my first day back at work. The teachers all seemed really happy to have an extra pair of hands again. The kids, well, the kids are pretty much the same. Making me feel old with their new-fangled pop culture references, learning about computers in the library instead of books. One kid today made me feel REALLY old... We're walking down the hallway towards the library and he asked me, "Are you 21?" and I said "actually, I'm 23", which was followed by "Whoooaaaaaa..." and a stunned silence. You mean people actually live past 20 these days? You're not on life support yet? I can't imagine what the 40-year-old teachers feel like. Actually, I walked into one class as the teacher (who is probably 28, 30ish) said "This is the subject I studied in college," followed by a kid saying "A long, long time ago?" Gotta love 7-year-olds.

Tracy: That's a good idea, to put something distracting on the fridge. I have a problem with grazing out of boredom.... Maybe a sudoku on the fridge would help! It sure would distract me temporarily. As for portion sizes, I still have trouble with that. The best, but most time consuming, way of handling that is to actually measure everything out and be very exact. Everyone goes through a big period of adjustment before we realize just how skewed our standard "portions" are.

Cookie: LC as a treat? You are crazy! I have a friend who does the skinny-picture-as-motivation thing. I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't see using pictures of oneself (either flattering or unflattering) as motivating... Seems to me it would foster a HUGE sense of being uncomfortable and unhappy with yourself, lowering your self esteem, making it harder to lose weight, harder to be happy when you finally do reach a healthy weight... It just seems like that to me. Probably one of those different-for-everybody things though.

martini: the idea of leaving something hot on while I'm not home is the reason why I don't have a crock pot... But I guess enough people use them and their homes don't routinely burn down.... I hope it makes cooking yummy, healthy things a little easier! Glad your kitty is okay and still likes you One of my cats is declawed, and the other isn't (I got them from a shelter that way)... unfortunately, the clawed one is the snuggly one! Ow!

BTW: What's the difference between Curves and a regular gym? I never asked, I just know people go there to work out. There's gotta be a difference, though, right?
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:35 PM   #39  
Proud Marine Wife

Curves is a women only place that is like a normal gym but has specialized 30 minute workouts. I know that much without having been, and I'm sure someone else will say something about it that has been. I've thought about joining, but we don't have the money to spend on something that I'd either get tired of or not be able to do (only one vehicle too)

I've always been good about portions, eating half a cup or more of regular veggies and trying to stay under half a cup of starchy stuff like potatoes and pasta (unless it's the main course) but I'm a carb addict. And a cheese addict. I grew up having pretty healthy meals, it's just the eating out that gets me because of the portions, which I usually end up taking half the meal home anyways. But sometimes I need the burger, I crave the burger haha. But I usually tone down the appetite with a salad before it so I can save half. I've just noticed that even those half cup servings are too much sometimes, which isn't a complaint or anything it's just weird that it's happening so soon. When I lost a bunch of weight in high school, it was over a month before I stopped feeling like I needed the food. I'm happy about it, it's just weird.

And so all you ladies know, the rambling on here gives me something to do so I'm not watching food network and thinking of snacking. After a long message here I can watch without wanting food But I did pick up some healthier snacks at the store. I got some string cheese and flavored crackers, and some teddy grahams because lots of those is only like 130 calories. I looked at the 100 cal snack packs since a lot of you eat those, it just wasn't a good enough deal to me.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:59 PM   #40  
I ve cK MZk

Ok, I am NOT joining back to curves. They have upped their prices sky high. Too much for me. I would have to pay 100 dollars to join back, and 35 dollars a month. Which is crazy! I could join the YMCA for that! Jeez. Actually it would be cheaper! LOL! Well, going to call the Y now. Blah...
Old 01-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #41  
Proud Marine Wife

Oh man, that sucks Brooke. If it's that much where you are I'd hate to see how bad it is in my small town. Even the Y here I think is more than that, it's like $50 to join and almost $50 a month. I can walk around the town for free or pick up a $10 video. I hate how they make being healthy so expensive! The gyms are all overpriced, fresh fruits and veggies are more expensive than steaks sometimes, it's just ridiculous...we should boycott, but that would take away from home exercise time.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #42  
I ve cK MZk

So, Melody & I joined the YMCA. For both of us it was a 200 dollar set up fee, and 60 dollars for this months membership. From here on out it will be 66 dollars a month. Not bad for how much stuff they have. We went in the treadmill, cycle room..got on the cycle and I did cardio for 30 minutes. I think it said I did 10.?? and I burned about 160 calories or something. -shrugs- I get three free sessions with one of the Y trainers to teach me about the machines. I will take use of that soon.

THEN. We went and played basketball for 30 minutes. FUN. I feel bad though because how bad I suck now. lol. I used to play on a team, and now I can't even hardly make a basket.

Ah, anywho. So, I got an hour workout in today, and it was FUN! ;D
Old 01-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #43  
I ve cK MZk

Oh, and tomorrow is weigh in & I am really hoping I did good!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:36 AM   #44  
Living the Laguna life...

Hi guys!
Wow, people sure have been busy around here!! I can't wait for the weekend..I am going out tonight and tomorrow night with some friends..it will be great to see them again! I only have two meals out planned (dinner on Sat and Sun night) and I am really looking forward to being able to eat what I want the rest of the time (isn't that funny..I guess that's what traveling does to ya!) I have been trying this new diet this week, and it isn't really working out for me...I find that I need more guidance when it comes to portion sizes and that kind of thing. Sooo I think I am going to go back to counting calories, as difficult as that is when I'm traveling. I have lost weight before doing it that way so now I just need to get back in that habit. I don't have that much time until I want to be at goal, so I need to get back to do something that works for me! I hope everyone is having a great Friday!!
miss michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:51 AM   #45  
I ve cK MZk

I've lost 4 more pounds! YAY! Well, gotta go get dressed & ready and go to the YMCA. w0ot!