20-Somethings BL Corner Temporary forum for Biggest Loser Challenge

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

Height: 5'7

@Kitty: It will move...you might have to yell at it a little but I am sure you you can convince it to give you love.

@ Divine: Congrats on the pound and the plan for the birthday dinner. The food at the conference doesn't seem to bad but skipping breakfast isn't a good way to go. Even something really small should be eaten in the morning to help your metabolism get going. Hmm, have you asked your doctor about doing yoga with you foot?

@Chloe: How did the job interviews go?

@Sms: Man, I do need new pants but I am going to try and hold off a little longer. Who knows, maybe I can bring them back in style (not that anyone would thank me or that but still).

@Rated: Did you get in your overtime?

On my own front: Today was a major let down for me on the emotional side (Males! Who needs em.) and I ended up eating somethings I shouldn't have. Not a lot but enough that I am disappointed in myself. However, the disappointment did turn into a circle and is reinforcing my desire for change in my lifestyle. I just need to crawl out of the mud before tomorrow and get back on the bandwagon. (I posted this on another thread so if you see if twice, I apologize)

Last edited by SugarRomeoTango4852; 08-03-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #62  
The Awesomeness!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/130

Height: 5'0

MY TRAINER TRIED TO KILL ME TODAY!!!!!!!! At the time I thought I was going to die, but now I feel really good about it
Old 08-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #63  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Riestrella I go to UCD IN Denver... in in Denver.
But Boulder isn't too far from here. o.O I have a friend up there. =o
Maybe one day we can do a race or something together. Colorado is an AWESOME State for activity!

ANYWAY I found some lovely bike paths today and tried one out for a bit. =o
Want to go ALL The way on one soon.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #64  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Kat - you may be sore now but you will be thanking your trainer later!

I had a really bad day today. I was doing well and then I came home from school and just binged. I ate everything and it wasn't even unhealthy just a lot of food (about 830 cal). I have no idea what triggered it I'm thinking maybe TOM. I should have just said no but I couldn't stop.

On a good note though I woke up early and did 30 mins of cardio and I did another 30 mins tonight. So I got in my overtime to make up for yesterday.
Hope everyone else is having a better day. For those of you who binge (or used to) what are your tricks to stopping yourself?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #65  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

Rated - I wish I knew. I still binge. Its so frustrating because I'll be doing really well and then it's like my other self takes over or something and I just eat and eat and then I feel sick =/....and I don't binge on healthy stuff either...I'm talking like cheeseburgers and fries and milkshakes and chicken nuggets and all that greasy salty stuff i'm addicted too. If you find a cure, let me know. >.<
Old 08-04-2011, 01:54 AM   #66  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated View Post
For those of you who binge (or used to) what are your tricks to stopping yourself?
I'm a binger, and I find the only thing that stops me is eating low carb/sugar. My triggers are cravings. I have a hard time with impulse control, whether it's food or buying things I want. When I get rid of the cravings, I get rid of the bingeing. The more sugar I eat, the more I NEEEEEEED.

The past few days I've been working ridiculous hours. I've been doing overnights, and my sleep is all messed up. I've fitdayed for the past few days, but I worked until 4 this morning, went home, slept from 5:30 am to 9 am, got up for an 11am job, and then ordered & stopped for a pizza on the way home. I got some frozen custard, and once I got back to my area, I got a small thin crust pizza, no cheese, extra sauce, with pineapple & green olives. And garlic butter. And I ate almost the whole thing. Then collapsed and hibernated from 1:30 to after 9 pm. I woke up reeeeally wanting cupcakes. So I went to the grocery store, looked at the cupcakes, and kept walking. I bought two containers of organic greens, and went home, had 2 sausages, and about 5 almonds. Showered, and came to work another overnight until 7 am. I know the only reason I was able to bypass the cupcakes despite my initial craving was because I've eaten very low carb/sugar the past few days. When I saw the cupcakes, suddenly they didn't really look very good. That NEVER happens to me. When I neeeeed something, I NEEEED it, and I will obsess until I go get it. Eating low carb, and getting a decent amount of fat stops that for me. Miraculous, really.

ETA: OH. I should also add that after bypassing cupcakes, and getting in my car to drive home, I also pulled into a Taco Bell parking lot to go through the drive thru, and suddenly that didn't sound so good, and I kept going until I went home & just had the sausages.

Last edited by Brown; 08-07-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 AM   #67  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

The people that read the Feathers Chat are gonna see some double posts from me. But since it's silly retyping my thoughts just in different words I am gonna copy some stuff back and forth!

Well, I am super excited. I haven't been using an app to count my calories, So I know i've not been doing so great on it. I start counting again today because otherwise it's hard to stay around 1250cals. Anyhow - the reason I am excited is because I was able to drag myself out of bed and go for a c25k run (w1d2) before I went to work. This whole weightloss thing is really just a personal growth thing. I am learning so much, from self discipline to learning to push muy own boundaries. And also that things I thought I couldn't do for the past 25yrs, I actually AM DOING with a lot of enjoyment. I am just constantly psyched. I am more psyched about that than about the weight loss. After 6kg/13lbs in a lil less than a month I really don't see as big a physical change as I notice a mental change.

Hoping to start noticing the physical change as I keep creeping closer to goal weight though. Kinda silly how 6kg down the road people don't notice a thing. Though I know I've been hiding the upperbody weight neatly the past year and my legs are in no way smaller yet. LOL
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #68  
on the way to skinny

Well I thought I was going to be in real trouble. I binged last night...for dinner...it was around 11:30 (i know it's crazy to eat dinner that late but whatever) and my family was going out and they said they were going to go to this diner place that has really good grilled chicken so I said I would go because I'm broke and free food is free food.....well anyways, then they decided on the way to go to mcdonalds. Mcdonalds is my weak spot. With it right in front of me, just being offered an not having to pay for it....I simply couldn't resist it. I had a 10 piece chicken nugget meal...and I only got medium fries and a medium drink but my sister ended up dumping half of her fries on my tray, and I did get a drink refill. I thought I had destroyed everything i've done so far for sure...

...but I just weighed myself and I was 242.8. That's lower then yesterday's 245.1 or whatever. How did THAT happen? lol. I'm not going to complain....but no more binging for me. No more giving in. I felt so sick after eating that crap last night. I just need to start focusing on that sick feeling...maybe I need to think "if I eat this I'm going to feel absolutely AWFUL" or something like that. Idk if it will help, but I'm going to try.

Anyways, day 2 of the conference today. I learned a lot of interesting teaching techniques yesterday and hopefully I'll learn more today! =D

Last edited by DivineFidelity; 08-05-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 275/249/170

I have a question: Does anyone drop weight really fast? I have gone from 258.9 on Monday to 254.4 today. I can't really be losing water weight because I have drink a lot of water and tea everyday (at least 100 oz, maybe more). I know it's possible to too weight fast but a pound a day?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #70  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

SGT - I have that, I lost about 13lbs in a few weeks - and it would go with drops of 2lbs almost overnight. Don't know how that happens! But, congrats on the results
Old 08-04-2011, 11:22 AM   #71  
The Awesomeness!

Sugar-I've seen crazy drops before too. 6lbs in a week. But I never expect it to stay consistent like that.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #72  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Mint gum... or dessert sugar free gum.
I don't get desires to binge anymore, not like I use to. I've been binge free for 8 weeks! It's easier once you manage to stop... like quitting a drug or cigarettes. (Though I've never dealt with cigarettes, and caffeine was my drug. =o) As soon as you push through all those cravings and remain clean for a few weeks, it's all down hill. You don't even realize you use to struggle with it!
When I found myself upset, bored, or just cravings something, I would get a glass of water then a piece of dessert gum sugar free. The gum tasted like key lime pie, mint ice cream, cheese cake! And it would satisfy a craving. Then I would FORCE myself out of a kitchen or restaurant that had my desired binges.
If it was an emotional issue. I would tell myself that eating all of this would only make me worse. I would tell myself that my stress/sadness/hate would only backfire on my if I drowned it out on food now. I knew I'd be disappointed in myself.
Also... oddly competitions to stay OP has really helped me too. ><
In Sarge's boot camp I'm in a race for first to make it to 100 days OP. I keep telling myself that if I can make it 'till October CLEAN then I could totally enjoy Thanksgiving without starting the OP challenge over. o.O

As for weight drops, it could be water. If you build muscle for instance, your muscles will tear and shred so they need to repair themselves by adding in water to the tears. Then, if you take a small break from it, the water will eventually move out and the weight will DROP.
Sodium levels might also be decreasing so you aren't retaining as much as you use to and you're burning off anything you were retaining. It's easier to lose weight in the beginning of a new diet/exercise program. Most people see drops at the start.
Just don't get too discouraged if it doesn't remain a 7lb loss every week. >< It'll eventually go down to 1lb or 2lbs a week and sometimes a gain or nothing at all. Just keep at it those days... maybe change up the routine a little. o.O
Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #73  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Thanks guys. My cold is a lot better. I've been all over vitamin C and Cod liver oil and it's really helped. Congratulations everyone on your losses. We're really rocking this challenge so far. Woooot!!!!!!

About bingeing. Although this is something I still struggle with occasionally and I do sometimes find myself succumbing to mindless eating, it does get better. My binges are typically triggered by the idea that x item(s) is/are bad and I can never eat it again if I want to succeed so I better eat it all now whilst I can whilst I'm off plan anyway. So, I try not to ban anything. If I'm craving chicken nuggets or french fries, I try to plan it into the next day and eat around that splurge calories-wise. That way nothing is off limits. Another thing that's really helped with bingeing and staying on-plan is working out and tracking workouts (calorie-wise). Even though there's no totally accurate way to do this, there are lots of apps/sites that can take your weight and guesstimate how many calories you've burned doing an activity (I always assume low intensity, no matter how much effort I put in). Seeing how much effort/activity it takes to burn a Snickers bar really helps me evaluate HOW MUCH I want that Snickers bar when I'm tempted. I also find it helps to plan ahead what I'm going to be eating and stick to that plan. Even if I have to eat out and I'm not sure what I'm going to be eating, I try to have a plan like I'll tell myself "protein and vegetables only," no carbs, no dessert. As much as you plan, you can't control every situation, but one always knows deep down what is healthy and what isn't, it's about making the best of the situation and not giving in just because it's the easiest option. And THIS is the hard part.

I've kind of been lax with eating/gotten bored with actively being on plan (as I do from time to time) and just kind of slacked since April or so and so have maintained within the same 5lbs. Now that I've decided to get back on track, something I've been working on recently is discipline and self-control, not only in terms of food and exercise but also in terms of life in general. Thankfully, I'm not starving, my eating everything on my plate is not going to save someone else from starving. I don't have to eat food just because it's there or it's on offer. I am allowed to tell myself no and in fact it's healthy to do so sometimes when it's to my benefit. I don't have to have everything I'd like. If I have a craving, it CAN wait till tomorrow when it can be on plan, if I still want it. These are the mantras I've been working on and they're not that easy to live by but they are helpful reminders from time to time.

SRT: May your whooshes rub off on us all! Go girl!!! Sorry about the emotional mud of yesterday. On the positive, we're washable and the mud comes off really easily. Every minute is new and presents a fresh opportunity to move on from the past, thank goodness!

Kat: Congrats on surviving the tough workout!!! You may have wanted to die at the time but I bet you're glad you made it through now.

I did work out yesterday as promised. After not having run or exercised at all for like 2 weeks, I decided to do a 5k run at a fast pace on the treadmill. Not a good idea. I should have eased my way in for a couple of runs to get back into the workout groove. Within 10 minutes, I felt horrible and wanted to slow down. Only pride kept me going till I was done. I had planned to do the elliptical afterwards but I didn't because I felt THAT shaky. Today I was soooo sore. But you know what, no regrets. I'm glad I did it. I'll do it again tomorrow, but maybe a little slower, eh? Eating is still going OP but I'm noticing I need to up my water a bit.

So team, I have a question, I've realized I've fallen into a trap where I've been doing mostly cardio (like 99%) and pretty much no strength training. I used to do NMTZ (Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones) last year and it was ok, but I'm wondering what you guys do for strength training/ looking for ways incorporating more of that into my routine. I'm not really looking to get cut/ripped or even to get Michelle Obama arms, it's just that everything I've read supports building lean muscle mass to boost metabolism and thus weight loss/maintenance etc. So what do you guys do for strength?
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #74  
The Awesomeness!

Went out to dinner with my family for my dad's b-day at one of my favorite restaurants. They have the most amazing ribs, garlic mashed potatoes, steak, and honey rolls with cinnamon butter! And guess what I got? Grilled rosemary chicken and steamed broccoli! No rolls, even though they were staring at me from the middle of the table! That was a big NSV for me. I then came home and did an hour of cardio at the gym
Old 08-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #75  
on the way to skinny

Well, I was back down to 242.8 today, so I guess that big gain was only water weight. The conference is over, so it's back to regular work today, and then off to College Station to visit my sister! I'm super excited. =D
Closed Thread