Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 03:08 PM   #1  

Default Marathon Goal!

Hi everyone,

I've decided that I like to run. It's my preferred method of getting my exercise in, and I usually run/jog in intervals for 45-50 min a day, 3-4 times a week. So far, I've seen results with this exercise and a weightloss eating plan, plus 2 liters of water a day.

I have recently been kicking around an idea in my head. I'd like to set a goal for my running that would keep me motivated. The Boston Marathon is in roughly 50 weeks and I'd like to run in it. I don't know whether I would try to qualify for the full marathon or the half, but I think this would be a life-changing experience and a great goal to have.

I am currently at 175 lbs with a weightloss goal of 130lbs. I have lost ~15 lbs since starting my weight loss and exercise. I plan to reach my goal by September, leaving 7 months at my "ideal weight" to prepare for the marathon without worrying about weight loss. I think this could be one of the coolest things I've ever done with my life.

Has anyone here trained for a race like this? Does anyone have any advice? Would anyone like to buddy up with me for this goal?? Good luck to everyone!
Old 05-06-2002, 04:16 PM   #2  

(( Whoo hoo! )) You go, girl!!

I weighed more than 265 pounds when a friend asked me to train with her in her effort to celebrate her 50th birthday by walking a marathon. Personally, I thought she was nuts. And I was DEFINITELY nuts for agreeing with her loony plan!!

But we'd heard great things from younger, thinner, nimbler folks about Team in Training, a program of the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society that offers training in endurance sports such as marathon running, walking, cycling, and triathlons. In exchange, the athletes help raise funds to fight blood-related cancers.

We have about 140 Team in Training runners, walkers, cyclists, and triathletes in our area. TNT provides coaching, mentoring, and clinics on everything from nutrition to shoes to fundraising. They host weekly endurance training sessions so that we can walk/run in groups, and there's always someone who travels at your pace so that you have someone to gab with as you go along.

I started training with TNT in July, and by October I was ready to do my first-ever half-marathon. I did my full marathon at Disney World in January -- 26.2 miles in 7 hours, 8 minutes. My friend celebrated her 50th birthday by walking her marathon at Kiawah Island, South Carolina. She was great!!

I've known several TNT teammates who went on to do the Boston Marathon. Most of the races that TNT trains athletes for are Boston qualifiers.

You just can't get better coaching, knowledge, and support ANYWHERE, and you can tackle your own challenge while also helping people with leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers.

www.teamintraining.org

Any way you choose to meet your goal, I wish you oodles of luck!!
Old 05-09-2002, 04:00 PM   #3  
Wannabe skinny babe

Here's a link to training for a marathon:

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00novice.htm

I'd love to do this, but I need to work up to the "starting" basics. It sounds like you're already there!

Best of luck, and let us know how it goes! Maybe I'll join you someday.

Jenn
Old 05-10-2002, 08:53 AM   #4  

Hey there, Jenn! I'm originally from Minnesota, and my sisters live in the SW corner of the state. I miss the heck outta that place!

Trust me, there was NOBODY more "beginner" than I was at this. But after six months with TNT, well ... And the training is FREE! (You give back to them by helping raise funds for your marathon on behalf of the Leukemia Society.)

Maybe I'll see you at one of the marathons this fall or winter!
Old 05-10-2002, 04:21 PM   #5  
Wannabe skinny babe

Hi Venus - where are you now? I moved to Minnesota a year ago, and I totally love it here! I'm marrying a "local" in January, so will most likely stay here for the rest of my life. I do miss my friends and family back in California, but heck, it's a wonderful thing to be able to go visit them!

I've asked TNT to contact me, to see if there's a Twin Cities chapter that I can train with. Dan (my future husband) loves to bike, so he's intrigued by that part of it, and I want to run. I thought anyone that did that has to be skinny and fit. Nice to know there's hope for me yet.

TTFN,

Jenn
Old 05-10-2002, 04:36 PM   #6  

Hey there, Jenn! Is that Dan in the photo with you? Awwww ... the two of you look so cute together. (( (( congrats! )) ))

I moved to North Carolina about seven years ago. I can still relate to your homesickness. I miss the Twin Cities a bunch, and I miss my sisters, and I even miss seeing so many blond people in the streets!

Where did you live in California? I'm walking the Rock & Roll Marathon in San Diego on June 2. My daughter's stationed in SD in the navy, so there wasn't any doubt which marathon I'd be doing this summer. I can't wait to spend time with her -- and to have both of my daughters see me cross that finish line.

Let me know if you decide to join TNT. We could actually end up at a marathon or half-marathon together this fall or winter! Hopefully you'll be speaking Minne-SOA-dahn by then, youbetcha. *tee hee*
Old 05-10-2002, 05:38 PM   #7  
Wannabe skinny babe

Venus, yes, that's Dan in the photo with me. One good thing about my crusade to lose weight by our wedding is that he's been eating more healthfully along with me. I should get a more recent pic in there - his face isn't so round anymore. That was taken in Duluth (Two Harbors, actually) last August.

I'm from Central-Northern California originally. My mother still lives in the Monterey Bay area, and I lived in San Jose (Silicon Valley) for several years. I moved to find work when the dot-bomb hit last year, and now I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

San Diego's a beautiful area - you'll love it, and that's so NEAT about the marathon there!!! Do you walk or run? I'm trying to get my walking up so that I can start incorporating a run/walk program (I have a 10 week plan that takes you from walking for 30 minutes to running for 30 minutes straight!). I just need to get my backside in gear and get moving on it!

Have a great weekend!
Old 05-12-2002, 07:48 AM   #8  

Awwwww ... that's so neat that the two of you are doing this together! I bet it feels great to have a partner who's not only supporting you but making a lifestyle change WITH you. More power to you both!

Oh, I am DEFINITELY a walker, hon! Though I do jog a bit, I've still got a lot of weight to lose before I do much running; don't want to damage my joints before I get the chance to experience real speed. I average 15-minute miles on the longer walks (yesterday did 22 miles in 5 hours, 24 minutes) and can eke out 14:30-miles in a half-marathon distance.

Team in Training offers two training sessions: One from January to June, the second from July to December. I think that next session I'm going to do only half-marathons, so I can concentrate on weight loss and speed. I'll probably continue training for a full marathon, but not go any higher than 16 miles at training.

I'm soooo excited about going to San Diego! I'm taking my 15-year-old daughter -- this will be her first trip to SD. Since both she and my navy daughter are pretty psyched about doing a lot of sightseeing, I've made preemptive reservations at a hot springs day spa the day after the marathon so I can stay off my feet a little while not making them impatient. You know how young people want to keep moving, no matter what!

((( Only three more weeks until 26.2! ))) I can't wait for both my girls to see me cross that finish line. I know that thought will keep me motivated for those last few miles.

Do you have favorite walking paths marked out? I know there are some lake trails in southern Mpls. that are beautiful. Is it safe in your neighborhood to walk whenever you want to?
Old 05-13-2002, 10:36 AM   #9  
Wannabe skinny babe

So far, because of the weather I've only been walking on the treadmill. I'm coming off of several years of "couch potato", so it's been a big adjustment. As I build my speed and distance, and as the weather starts to clear, I'll start exploring my area more. My neighborhood is okay, but personally I feel better walking with someone. Dan and I are trying to coordinate our schedules so that we can walk together, but it's been difficult so far.

I spoke with a lady yesterday when I was working a booth at Race for the Cure - she's also walking in the SD marathon with TNT! She was telling me about the TNT group here, and gave me a name and number to contact. I am looking forward to getting started.

I didn't realize you could do half-marathons - that might be a nice goal for me after I have a couple of 5K's under my belt! One of these years, I am going to invite my mother to watch me - it's like you said, I want to see her face when I cross the finish line!

TTYL,

Jenn
Old 05-15-2002, 11:36 AM   #10  

Wow, what a teeny-tiny world we live in sometimes. Maybe I'll run into the TNT/Race for the Cure woman you met when I'm at the San Diego marathon.

Ohhhh, yeah -- half-marathons are wonderful! It makes the transition from walking to running seem doable for me, though I know that for my knees' sake, I need to lose weight before I begin that process.

My sisters have been telling me how cold it's gotten up there recently. I can't imagine going from California to Minnesota and having it be so cold for so long. You poor thing!

You know, our TNT group is offering a marathon at Grand Caymans in the fall, and maybe the Mpls group is, too ..... wouldn't that be a fun half-marathon for soon-to-be-honeymooners to do???? (just a lil suggestion LOL)
Closed Thread