South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Monday, Monday Chick Chat

Where's the snow??? When I went to bed the weatherman was warning us to listen for school closings and watch out for slippery roads, but it's not doing anything out there!

I'm not quite sure what's happening today. Cindy mentioned that if the weather was cooperative, we were going skiing, so I'll have to wait and see if she calls. If I don't hear from her by 6:30, I'm going to Curves! I had arranged to bring home one of Maggie's classmates for a playdate today, too, so I have to find out what's going on.

What's happening in your world today?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:16 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

My world is white, Cottage. Come up here and ski my woods. We got a snow last night so I guess winter has returned to Delta. Hershey came in all snow spangled just now. Too bad as I was enjoying not having to struggle with boots.

Whoops! Just realized there's no coffee for me this morning as I have bloodwork at 8:15. After that it's breakfast and then a pedicure - no polish because of the operation next week. I plan a wee nap this afternoon and then will be out for dinner.

Aside from the bloodwork, it looks like a pretty nice day for a Monday. How's your Monday shaping up?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:24 AM   #3  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Morning Cottage!!! Hope your day stabilizes so you can make plans.
Happy Birthday, Ruth!! Sorry you have to have the bloodwork done on your birthday, but just think...next birthday you'll have a brand new knee!!!..then you can celebrate TWO birthdays..one for you and one for your knee!!

My company that was supposed to arrive today got delayed by one day. There was a train derailment (not theirs) so they got rerouted, put on a bus to Minot ND where they had to sit for 2 hours before being put on another train and missed their connection in Chicago by a 1/2 hour and "The City Of New Orleans" only leaves Chicago once a day. So they are stuck there till 8 tonight when it leaves again. that gives me one more day to get ready for them, but sure wish they didn't have to go through this!!

Last edited by femmecreole; 01-14-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:37 AM   #4  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Think of it this way, Cat...they get a day to enjoy Chicago! Hope they're able to get out and about and make the most of it.

Good luck at your appointment, Ruth! And have fun with your pedicure. I'm afraid my pedicure days are over for a time, as that toenail that got a bruise from my old running shoes back in the summer finally fell off. There's a brand new teeny tiny nail there, but it's very thin and weirdly wavy. Tom is totally grossed out by the whole thing!

Linda, I hope you get to hit the slopes! I bet the girls will get a kick out of it! My brother (he's 15) is teaching snowboarding this year at Shawnee, so if you're headed out there any weekends, look for a tall, blond-haired kid and tell him his sister loves him!

We had a spectacular day here! I'm trying a new technique with Connor (who thinks the way to get out of something he doesn't want to do is to just sit there and do nothing, which heretofore had me yelling and screaming at him to "Just do your math/violin/laundry/grammar/etc.!") Today I just put him in the corner as soon as he started slacking. He got to stand there and do nothing and realize how terribly boring it was, and I got to not stress about it. Took two or three trips to the corner but he got the picture. And I liked not yelling. I don't like yelling, but sometimes I don't know what else to do.

I have to figure out how to scan checks into my computer and then somehow send them to my bank. Evidently, it's a service they offer but I haven't tried it yet. I'm hoping that means I won't have to sign and send them because that makes me nervous. From Korea to Texas is a lot of miles for a signed check to get intercepted! Wish me luck!

Kara

Last edited by tomandkara; 01-14-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:44 AM   #5  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Just a quick hello, almost time for the bus stop. I be back later.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

There's plenty of snow here! These are the most accommodating winter storms ever - they're all on Mondays! The only thing that would be better would be staff meeting storms. I do realize I am really, really lucky to work at a family friendly agency where we are encouraged to only do what feels safe, so no driving on days all the schools are closed. I always have plenty of work at home work here in case I don't make it in. Even so I feel like a kid with an extra day to the weekend

Cottage - hope you make it skiing. The storm must be a little further north.

Ruth - Happy birthday! A pedicure sounds like a nice treat.

Cat - Sounds like they're having more of an adventure then planned! Enjoy your extra day.

Kara - The cats are at it again!

Isn't it nice to find a way to parent that doesn't involve so much stress?! My daughter was quite a handful, or as she says "I was a rotten kid, wasn't I?". I always assure her that she was just a kid with a lot of energy and independence and attitude My motto was,these will be really great qualities in an adult if we all live that long. And we did! And she is! Good luck.

That gives me an excuse to share a picture.

Well guess I should cancel my PT and other in town appointments. It doesn't look like I'm going anywhere far today. Have a good day everyone!

Last edited by CyndiM; 06-14-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:59 AM   #7  
Visualizing the Goal

Is that a picture of your daughter, Cyndi? She's just beautiful! I love your perspective on her redeeming qualities.

Kara
Old 01-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

That's her She was always very independent, assertive, and very clear about her opinions. I find those are often the qualities we hope our kids will have as adults, but not the ones we expect when they are 7 Somehow we got through it all and have a really good relationship now. You will too, even though some days it may be hard to imagine!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Good Morning Everyone-

CottageThe anchors on CNN in NY are complaining they didn't get snow either. (I think it's funny when they yell at the meteorologist)

Ruth I'm having an extra cup of coffee for you since you can't. Good luck with the bloodwork and have fun with the pedi.

Kara Connor is VERY smart. It took my godson weeks of corner visits before he made the correlation.

Cyndi Enjoy your snow day. Your daughter is beautiful. My mom and I have a great relationship now too but there were years she wasn't sure either.

LC Have a great day. I guess since you made a trip to the bus; school is in session

Femme Hope your company is O.K. and the rest of the trip to you is safe and uneventful.

Today is going to be a really long day and for some reason I woke up still tired. I hate when that happens for no good reason. Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by THINBYJUNE; 01-14-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #10  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

I am back chicks, for a proper hello this time. Got all the way to the bus stop only to find out it was an hour late this morning. Two of the bus stop dads drove the kids up.... Thank goodness. Today is organizing my laundry room. I have decided that I need to takle small projects at a time I get much more done that way. Well I guess I best get going. I need to work on that and get the kids daily activites going as well. Hope you all have a great day.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:01 AM   #11  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Kara, another "trick" that works is giving them a choice of 2 things YOU want them to do, ie: "Connor, do you want to do Math or Violin now?" then he gets the "power" to make the decision (although, you really have the "power")...it works.

When my kids were little and they had me exasperated, I would start counting (with a stern face) "ONE,!! TWO!!, you won't be happy if I get to THREE!" and they would scramble.
Not too long ago we were all laughing about that and one of them asked "What would have happened if you got to THREE?" I said "I have absolutely no idea, cause I never got there!". I do the same thing with the kids at school when they start to get a little unruly and it works with them too. I have kind of a deep voice and maybe that has something to do with it too.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:14 AM   #12  
Visualizing the Goal

Cat, my little scammer always suggests a third choice, usually Legos or computer games or a board game. Sometimes I call him "Monty Hall". We used to do the counting to three thing when he was a wee tot, but then we realized that we would prefer him to listen the first time we tell him something and not the third time, so we cut that out. He just doesn't understand that the faster he starts, the faster he'll finish. He thinks he should only have to do things that he wants to do. Even if we didn't homeschool, he'd still have to GO to school, so it's not like I'm giving him extra awful things to do. He takes after his dad, who will spend two hours trying to figure out an easier way to make the bed, when he could've just had the darn thing made in five minutes! Boys! what to do with them!

Dawn, I hope your day improves! Maybe a nice, relaxing bath when you get home will settle your brain. Sometimes when I have too much going on in my head I don't get a restful sleep. I have to what-I-call "download" my thoughts onto paper so my poor head can have a rest!

LC, sorry to hear about the bus delay! What a mess!

So I went to get those checks scanned and realized Tom didn't sign them. I didn't specifically tell him to sign them, but I did say, "I'm going to scan those checks today - would you write me a note on the board to remind me?" which he did, but didn't sign the checks sitting right next to the board. Yet again...Boys!

Trying to watch an episode of CSI but it's downloading verrrrrry slowly.

Kara
Old 01-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Kara Great idea about the "download". I am a huge list maker and yet that had not occured to me. Boys are exasperating. I think that may be the root of my troubles as well. Have fun with CSI.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:40 AM   #14  
Visualizing the Goal

Oh, when I was in college I specifically remember having to jump off the beam at gymnastics practice because I literally couldn't concentrate for all the stuff bouncing around in my head. It's pretty important to focus when you're flipping around four feet high on a four inch piece of wood! The journaling thing works wonders for me - hope it helps you!

Kara
Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cat, I use the same method as you, regarding giving a choice of which they'd rather do first. It almost always works, and when it doesn't I just say (for instance) "Maggie, pick up your toys now or go to your room and put your PJ's on and get in bed. When you've decided you had enough of that, you may come out and pick up your toys and join us." That always works, and I never have to raise my voice. I let them know if they're not going to be cooperative, then they're not allowed to be around us. I did the same for my own kids, too, and it always produced good results.

I haven't heard from Cindy, so I got in a good workout. I guess the day will just be a regular Monday and Maggie and I won't have to change our plans. I just put on a crockpot full of Wendy's Chili, that will provide Jake's supper for tonight and lunches for the rest of the week.
It sure does look like it wants to snow!

Ruth, it sounds like you have a nice day planned. Enjoy your dinner plans and don't eat too much cake!

Cat, I hope your company gets to enjoy their layover in Chicago, there's so many things to see there! They may be delighted that things turned out that way!

Kara, if we go to Shawnee, I'll be sure to greet each and every tall blonde guy with a snowboard for you! We usually go to Bear Creek for a weekday, though, since it's closer. I don't believe in that counting game, either. I want it done the first time!

Cyndi, your daughter is gorgeous! You must be so proud. Enjoy your snowday!

Thin, I hope your day goes by quickly and isn't as long as you dread!

LC, have fun cleaning, I hope you get it all done!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 01-14-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Closed Thread