South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #1  
Woo! 1/2way there!

S/C/G: 186/156/135 (in P1...again)

Height: 5'4"

Default Air travel - tips on surviving?

Howdy ladies

I've got a trip up north tomorrow and i'm worried about making it through 9 hours of traveling with likely weather delays. ive packed some snacks like carrots, an apple and a SBD meal bar. but what about when you're stuck at the airport? and starving? and all there is is a dunkin donuts and sbarro?
suzka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Height: 5'11"

Suzka- Don't fret. I manage restaurants at an airport and trust me there are things you can have and stay on plan. Any Italian restaurant will have salad. Sometimes they are even prepakaged with the dressing on the side. If you get stuck in Austin (my company runs those restaurants too) find a barbeque restaurant and have them grill you a plain chicken breast. Any restaurant is happy to accomodate any special request. If the staff gives you a hard time ask for a manager. You should be able to find a couple of options that you can customize and still be on plan. Have a safe trip and I will keep my fingers crossed that you get to your destination before the snacks run out
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #3  
Visualizing the Goal

Pack a ton of snacks and make a deal with yourself that you will only eat on plan...no excuses...no exceptions! You can do it!!!!! Dawn had some terrific ideas.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #4  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Keep positive, and you will be fine, pack lots of healthy snacks if you are on ph 1, I don't think you should be having the bars. But just pack lots of stuff you can have. Better to have extra than not enough. If you have to go to the resturant. Tell them you need your food prepared for a health reason. I am sure that they will help you out. Good luck and enjoy your trip... remember this is a new way of life, so don't fret.
little chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:24 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Thanks for the tips. I'll be traveling in a couple of weeks and was wondering how to make it work.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Yes, Dawn, thanks for the tips. I travel for work, and I've never been able to find things to eat in an airport except nuts and a starbucks sf latte. Some places have pre=made salads, but the ones I've tried have not been great. I will put your suggestions to use in the near future. In the past, I just make sure to pack lots of snacks to get me through. When I reach my destination, my first stop is usually the grocery store, because hotel breakfast buffets are also a very hard place to find SB foods. If you're lucky, they'll have HB eggs and skim milk.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 248/216/148

Schmoodle I agree about some of the salad choices out there. If you ask and they make and pakage the salads on sight, they sometimes have hard boiled eggs for the chef salads. We do and I always sell them to a guest that wants it that way. If there is a Chili's, TGIF or something similair they usually bring in vegetables for a dinner side and will turn those into an omelette or sell it just as a side of veggies. Happy flying ladies.
THINBYJUNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #8  
I can do this!

Hey, Suzka!

This is a great question! I usually take something with me to eat on the plane for lunch if I know it'll be a lunch flight. I regularly fly through Detroit or Philly and I know all the restaurants at each airport that I can use. I'm not sure what airports you are going through, but you might want to look online and see if there is a guide to the restaurants at the airport. That might help you plan. You could also pack a meal for yourself. Cooking Light did an issue on meals to pack for air travel a couple years ago (that's where I got the great idea to use angel hair coleslaw in place of shredded lettuce--it doesn't wilt!). There are probably several other websites with good ideas for healthy meals for planes that won't go bad. How about cutting up an apple and putting it in a fairly hard container along with 2 T of natural PB? Same containers but use veggies and dip/dressing? I usually throw some cheese sticks and pudding cups/SBD bars in my bag that I use to supplement airport meals if I don't know what will be available.

Here are some of the things I eat when I'm at Detroit (which I use much more than Philly):
  • There's a peanut butter and jelly restaurant that uses natural PB and has a whole grain bread. I'll get a sandwich from there to take on the plane as the PB doesn't go bad.
  • There's a bagel place that has whole wheat bagels. They'll make sandwiches on a bagel, so I get one with lean meat, veggies, and light cream cheese with veggies. I'll take this on the plane if I know I'll be hungry in an hour or two. Don't want it to go bad if it's sitting for several hours...
  • At Starbuck's or other restaurants, they often have either fresh fruit or cut-up fruit.
  • There's a mediterranean grill restaurant in Detroit that I use if I'm eating a full meal. The pitas are white, but they have tabouli, lean grilled meats, hummus, great vegetables, etc.

Sometimes it helps to bring your own bread/bun/tortilla/pita and then order a sandwich. Take it off the white stuff and put it on yours. If there's a mexican restaurant, you could get fajitas and eat them plain or put them on WW tortillas from home.

Hope you travel safely and find lots to eat!

Last edited by beachgal; 01-14-2008 at 02:27 PM.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #9  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

Even fast food places are doable. Most carry grilled chicken sandwiches. Just throw away the bread. Subway & Potbellies make any sandwich into a salad for you. My DH is a burger lover, so he gets a burger and throws away the bun. In the mornings, McDonalds Egg Mcmuffin becomes an Egg McNothin by throwing away the muffin. Just remember you can not carry liquids into secured areas that are more than 3 ounces, so be prepared to buy your beverage once you are past security.
Happy Flying!
Karla
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #10  
Woo! 1/2way there!

S/C/G: 186/156/135 (in P1...again)

well i made it, but my luggage didn't

the case with my sewing machine, fabric, tools and the curtains and valances i made for my mom is missing. i'm still hoping it just got lost in Newark's crappy system and will magically show up at my parent's door sometime very soon.

here's how the trip went down:

it was a 6am flight and i was running late so didnt have my usual egg and no sugar puffed wheat cereal. i figured i'd have the snacks i packed i could eat once i was settled on the plane. so on continental they still serve meals, and went around with sugary cereal and milk. i got my bag and rooted around for my snacks and after lots of digging and not-so-under-my-breath cursing, realized i left the whole baggie in the fridge. i felt like crying!

then i looked at my seat mate's little tray and saw she got a banana as well, so i asked for a skim milk and banana and that was actually pretty good.

then when i got to newark i found a McD's (somewhere i havnt gone to in maybe 6 years!) and got a plain ceasar salad. i brought a little tin of sliced tuna in water that opens like sardines and drained that in the trash and had a pretty good lunch! i'm sure i got some weird looks but i had lunch to accomplish in 20min to catch my connection so i was focused!

that protein bomb got me through till dinner with my mom at a restaurant in Albany that had a great salad bar and minestrone soup without potatoes and big pasta i picked out.

so if my darn case would show up i'd say i got through it all pretty well! thanks for all the tips, i actually did go to Newark's website and checked all the restaurants.

i further checked McD's nutritional info (because there was one in each concourse and i didnt know where i would end up) and found the salad was pretty good. the one i had was fresh, made with romaine and baby greens (arugula! seriously, at McD's) carrots, cukes, tomatoes and red cabbage. i didnt use any dressing since i put the tuna on with salt and pepper and that's how i usually eat the same thing at home.

now to deal with 2 weeks at the parent's with post holiday cookies and candy still sprinkled all around the house!

Last edited by suzka; 01-15-2008 at 11:40 AM.
suzka is offline   Reply With Quote