Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2002, 10:26 PM   #1  

Default "Just Do It" challenge

I thought it would be cool to start a board like we do with the weight loss challenges, but for exercise. I think we should all set our individual goals. Some of us need to begin, and others of us may need to move to the next level of physical fitness. Maybe some of you just want to keep better track of what you are already doing.

There are 9 weeks until summer if we start counting this from Sunday. So we could make that our goal, or:

I have read that it takes only 7 days to create a bad habit, but 21 days to create a good habit. So we could have the nine weeks as our ultimate goal, but break it up into 3 week mini goals. That is what would work the best for me. Since I have never created an exercise habit, 9 weeks is over whelming, but if I take it in 21 day increments it won't be so overwhelming. But you choose which way you want to keep track of your own goals.

That said, I am committing to exercise Monday through Friday (and some Saturdays when possible) morning using the routine I have created for myself. It consists of Ballet stretches, 30 mins. of variations of marching in place with arm weight exercises included, stomach crunches, and I finish with another round of Ballet stretches. I did it this morning, and I feel great.

Here is what I propose for keeping track. I definitely like it where you come up with some sort of calendar that is edited rather than a whole bunch of posts. But you can do what you like.

Example :

Week 1 : M_T_(etc. where you mark the days in either as you exercise, or on the weekend you mark down the days you exercised for that week.)

Just because I want to track what I've done this week too:

Pre - Week 1:___Th_F--- the main thing is I started!! Now to keep it going!!!

I am going to count the last two days as days I have exercised. I didn't intend to, but, due to a friend in the hospital, I did a lot of walking, and now I am exhausted.

Week 1: Well, I am not off to a good start, but I walked so much in that hospital, that I decided I needed a day off, and I think I will be going back there today. I will be glad when my friend gets out of there.
___ Tues. ___ Wed. ___ Thurs. ___ Fri. (I didn't feel like it, but I did; now I am glad I did!)___ Decided I really want to take the weekends off, but I am looking forward to exercising tomorrow!!! Everyone is doing so well.

Week 2: Well, I am slowly adding more anaerobic exercises to my routine. Today, I went from doing wall pushups to doing knee pushups on the floor. Plus I have added some back exercises I saw on Martha Stewart.
_Mon. ___Tues. ___Wed. ___ not today ___

Confession time: Felt like it wasn't doing me any good, so what was the point. But then Friday night, I saw what was the point when I got into a skirt that I couldn't wear a month earlier, at the same weight I am now. I understand, and I will be better next week.

Week 3:

Then I will add in my next "mini goal" after I have completed the first. ( I will probably try to include walking to the park with the kids 3x a week)

I think my final "mini goal" will be to restart practicing Messianic Dance, and teach it to my kids!!!

Let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions.

Last edited by lyssalou; 05-05-2002 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:21 PM   #2  

Great Idea Lyssa!

Weekly plan 04-14-02

Sunday
Goal: none set
Actual: No clue - maybe yoga - maybe not (I think this may be when I did denise austin and killed myself - see how useful this thread can be?)

Monday
Goal: None set
Actual: Yoga (for weight loss)

Tuesday
Goal: None set
Actual: 1 mile walk/run in 13 min - almost killed the dog!

Wendesday
Goal: 1 mile walk/run alone, 1 mile walk/run with dog, 20 min yoga
Actual: 1 mile walk/run in 13 min., 1 mile walk/run with dog (slow)

Thursday
Goal: 1 mile walk/run alone, 1 mile walk/run with dog, 40 min yoga/pilates (denise austin)
Actual: 1/2 mile walk/run with dog, Yoga for weight loss

Friday: Running rest day, Yoga for weight loss
Actual: 1 mile walk/run in 12:08:67, .6 mile "with dog" in 12:16:10, Denise Austin tape

Saturday: 1 mile jog, Yoga for weight loss
Actual: 1 mile walk/run in 12:14:26, Yoga for weight loss, clamming (hard work!)

* Well, I realized that my 20 min yoga tape is actually Much longer! Don't know how long. Wonder where I ever got that idea?

Last edited by BaileySG; 04-21-2002 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2002, 08:16 AM   #3  

I'll join you guys here...

Saturday & Sunday
Goal: housework & yardwork
Actual: no yardwork but tons of housework

Monday
Goal: 2 mile jog, 2 mile walk
Actual: 2 mile jog @ 23 min, 1.34 mile walk, 5 mile rollerblade

Tuesday
Goal: 15 min jog, 15 min walk, 40 min weights
Actual: 15 min jog @ 6.0 (1.5 mile), .8 walk, 40 min weights

Wednesday
Actual: 1 mile jog & 1 mile walk (leg is hurting a little), 7.8 miles bike, and 3 miles on elliptical

Thursday
Goal: 15 min jog, 15 min walk, 40 min weights
Changing Goal: 30 min walk, 40 min weights
Actual: 33 min walk (2 miles), 40 min weights

Friday
Goal: 3 mile slow jog, 1 mile crawl, don't pass out
Actual: 3 miles @ 36 min, 1.3 mile walk, stayed conscious!!

Last edited by lizzard_h; 04-26-2002 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2002, 10:14 PM   #4  

Welcome Liz! I will be thinking about you on friday!
Lyssa: Keep it up! Doin great!

Weekly Plan 4/21/02
* Jog 1 mile without stopping, 2X each yoga tape, 2X weights

Sunday
Goal: 1 mile walk/jog in under 12
Actual: 1 mile walk/jog in 10:46:26, kayaking

Monday
Goal: 1 mile walk/jog in under 12, Denise austin 20 min yoga 20 min pilates
Actual: 1 mile walk/jog in 10:47:11, 1/2 mile walk with dog, Denise (ugh!)

Tuesday
Goal: 1 mile walk/jog in under 11, Yoga for weight loss
Actual: 2.5 mile walk, 1 mile walk/jog in 10:38:24, 1/2 mile with dog

Wendesday
Goal: Weights, Denise Austin
Actual: NOTHING

Thursday
Goal: 1 mile JOG
Modified goal to make up: 1 mile Jog, both tapes, weights
Actual: 1 mile JOG in 11:21 on treadmill, 1/2 mile walk,weights (doubt I will get to the tapes)

Friday
Goal: 1 mile jog, Weights
Actual: 1 mile walk/jog

Saturday
Goal: Yoga for Weight Loss
Actual: NADA

Welcome Rabbit!
Liz good luck tomorrow!
Lyssa you are doing great!

Well, did well with the "running" program, but not great on the other stuff. Will try for same goals next week, then modify if they seem just impossible.

Last edited by BaileySG; 04-28-2002 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2002, 05:55 PM   #5  

hi all. I like the idea of an exercise thread. I presently keep track of my exercise on the journal thread, but don't list goals.

My goals for this week: rec ctr. M-F, walking atleast 2 miles/day; back to doing weights 4 days; get back to yoga class; atleast 30 minutes of exercise Saturday & Sunday.

good luck all.

Rabbit

week 1: So far, so good. I went to the club M-F, did my weights as planned, went to my yoga class. Now for the weekend. ~ Saturday done! ~ Sunday done!

Last edited by Rabbit; 04-28-2002 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:25 PM   #6  

Weekly Plan 4/28/02
* Jog 2 miles without stopping, 2X each yoga tape, 2X weights

Sunday
Goal: 1 mile Jog
Actual: 1 mile jog in 10:45:23

Monday
Goal: 12 minute nonstop jog (try for 1.2 miles), Denise austin 20 min yoga 20 min pilates
Actual: 1 mile in just under 11. Could bear no more.

Tuesday
Goal: 1 mile run in under 10, Yoga for weight loss
Actual: TOM self-pitty party, Yoga for weight loss

Wendesday
Goal: Weights, Denise Austin
Actual: 10 min of 12 min nonstop jog

Thursday
Goal: 2 mile Jog
Actual: nope

Friday
Goal: 1 mile jog, Weights
Actual: 2 mile jog in 24 min on treadmill

Saturday
Goal: Yoga for Weight Loss
Actual:

Last edited by BaileySG; 05-03-2002 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:28 AM   #7  

Saturday & Sunday
Goal: wash Jeep inside and out
Actual: Jeep clean

Monday
Actual: 2 mile jog outside in heat, 10 min walk

Tuesday
Goal: 30 min walk, 40 min weights
Actual: 30 min walk (2 miles), 40 min weights

Wednesday
Goal: 15 min run, 45 min walk
Actual: 11 min run @ 6.2, 4 min run @ 6.0, 45 min walk

Thursday
Goal: 30 min walk, 40 min weights
Actual: 30 min elliptical, 40 min weights

Friday
Goal: 3 mile slow jog @ 11 min pace
Actual: 4 mile slow jog @ 12 min pace

Last edited by lizzard_h; 05-03-2002 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2002, 04:16 PM   #8  

Hmm. My plan for this week will have to be a little more complicated as I'm leaving town on Thursday.

Plan: M-R 1 hour workout at healthclub (walking, weights, elliptical, bike). One yoga class. Try to get walking in each day while gone.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:23 PM   #9  

Go team go!!!!

Everyone is doing great! Especially Lyssa, since starting is the hardest part (no offense Rabbit and Lizzard, but you guys are already old hats). Keep up the great work!

Old 04-30-2002, 05:47 PM   #10  

Bailey - Will it ever stop feeling like a chore? I guess if I keep pushing myself, it will at least be more like a habbit rather than a chore.

But, yes, we are ALL pushing ourselves, and I hope we will all see the benifits of our efforts!!!
Old 04-30-2002, 08:56 PM   #11  

Lyssa - TOM just arrived. Will be best if I wait and respond to that question at a later date.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:13 PM   #12  

Lys, I've been working out five days a week for 1 1/2 years and it finally doesn't feel like a chore anymore. I don't know when it stopped feeling that way but now it's just something I'm responsible for doing -- kind of like brushing your teeth. I have terrible allergy and sinus problems so when I used to not exercise it would take me hours to get my head cleared in the morning so that I felt like a normal person. I think that's the main thing I enjoy -- it has really helped me to breathe easier throughout the day. There are still some mornings I hate going to the gym and I whine the whole time I am there but I know that I will feel great as soon as I'm done. I also know that on the few days that I have skipped the exercise I get really mad at myself and feel like crap all day. It's just something I have accepted and incorporated in my life. Wow!! Never thought I'd say that. However, I know that if I don't stay focused I could easily quit going and not think twice about it.

Does that help??
Old 05-01-2002, 04:17 PM   #13  

Thanks Liz, it does help. I was thinking recently how unfair it is that we have to exercise to keep fit. But I realized that our bodies were created to do hard labor, and in our modern world, we don't go out and work the fields and do all the labor that it used to require just to survive; so now we have to exercise to survive. That thought is helping me a little, and what you said helps even more.
Old 05-01-2002, 06:39 PM   #14  

It doesn't feel like a chore to me anymore either. It's the way I start my day & I feel odd if I don't do it.

Rabbit
Old 05-06-2002, 08:25 AM   #15  

Here we go again

Saturday & Sunday
Goal: lots of housework
Actual: did all my chores & 2 mile walk on beach

Monday
Goal: 3 miles @ 11 min pace & 30 min evening bike ride
Actual: 3.1 miles @ 10:54 pace (completed 5K in 33 min), 40 min bike ride

Tuesday
Goal: 30 min elliptical, 40 min weights & 30 min bike ride
Actual: 30 min ellipt, 40 min weights, 40 min bike ride

Wednesday
Goal: 60 min on treadmill (5 min fast/slow intervals), 30 min bike
Actual: 60 min treadmill (intervals for only 20 min), no biking

Thursday
Goal: 30 min elliptical, 40 min weights & 30 min bike ride
Actual: 30 min ellipt, 40 min weights, no biking again

Friday
Goal: 4 miles @ 11.5 min pace & 30 min bike ride
Actual: 4 1/4 miles @ 11.5 pace, 3/4 mile walk

I've got to ride my bike for a little while every night to get my butt ready for a bike event on Saturday. Every year we do a Beach-Bar-Bike-A-Thon to raise money for the cancer society. They get 100-200 bicyclists together to hit ten local taverns. It's totally insane crazy fun!!! I'm going to limit myself to three drinks though instead of ten!! It's an all day activity but we probably only cover ten miles.

Last edited by lizzard_h; 05-10-2002 at 08:26 AM.
Closed Thread