Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Exercise for the Workaholic?

I would LOVE to get into a good fitness routine (and stop wasting that money I spend every month on my gym membership!), but I just can't seem to find the time or motivation. I know that's probably THE most common excuse to not exercise, but I can't seem to get around it.

I'm a bar manager, and I usually work 60-70 hours per week, with a combination of late nights (not getting home til 4am) and early mornings (the usual 9-5 shift). It seems like whenever I'm not at work, I'm so tired from working that I'd rather stay home and sleep than drag myself to the gym. And it's so cold these days that I don't even want to walk/jog around my neighborhood.

The little exercise I do get is mainly from running around the bar (but I never break a sweat, so it can't be that effective) and playing Wii Sports on my time off (boxing raises my pulse and makes my arms sore, but I know it can't really be considered "real" exercise).

Any tips for motivating myself to get out of the house? I eat pretty healthy, but I need a good kick in the butt to make me go sweat off those extra pounds!
blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Some ideas to help with this is to make plans to exercise with a friend. If you are obligated, you will be motivated (as well as enjoy the company). If they don't want to go to the gym, go out and play soccer or do yoga. A personal trainer may encourage you as well.

I work shift work as well and I understand how you feel about fatigue. There is no answer to your question except to "just get out and go". You have to make that comittment to yourself. It's like healthy weight control. There's no magic solution - it's powered through self-motivation and dedication.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #3  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I also work more than 60 hours/week, so I try to find things to do in short increments so I can them right when I wake up or right when I get home. For example, there are lots of great fitness DVDs that come in 10 or 15 minute segments. If you do them two or three times a day, that's pretty good! I find that getting up one or two snooze cycles early isn't that hard, whereas if I planned a 45 minute workout I would never make it up at all.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

To echo Laura's post - I like the 10 minute solution DVD series. I can choose to do routines in 10 minute increments. And sometimes - even though I am tired when I start, they energize me and I end up doing 2 or 3 of them instead of one - even on those days when I can barely drag myself through the door.

What about an exercise ball to use while you watch tv? Or resistance bands? Or dumbells?

Every little bit helps!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #5  
Gettin' healthy in 2008

S/C/G: 225/186/125

Height: 5'1"

Actually, Wii Sports can count as "real" exercise if you do it with the same intensity you would if you were actually playing whatever sport it is. Tennis, for example, really gets me moving and I count it! Anything that is above and beyond your normal everyday activity IS exercise!!

BTW, I'm wasting money on a gym membershipt too!

Last edited by Frozen Peach; 01-11-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: because, for some reason, I can't spell! LOL
Frozen Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/218/150

Height: 5'8"

I am starting to count my Wii-playing as exercise, ever since I've been waking up in the mornings with sore arms! And I'm proud to say I actually did go to the gym today, though I was pretty disappointed in myself for being so out of shape, due to not having gone in FOREVER!
I've joined a spinning class, too, with a friend-of-a-friend, so hopefully that obligation will keep me motivated as well. Thanks for the great tips!
blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote