Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Measuring edamame for baking

There was a thread on here a while back about eating edamame. txangelgirl posted that she bakes her. I tried that last night. I only salted them. I will do was she said the next time.

My question is about weighting them and breaking them down into serving size portions. Should I weigh them (for the oz measure) before I bake them and use that as the measurement for the calories? If I do that, then I think I will have to bake them in several batches. Of course, doing it that way would allow me to break them down into sizes as well. I noticed that some of the larger ones didn't want to bake in a timely manner.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by cbmare; 01-10-2008 at 01:15 PM.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #2  
Smartypants

Hey Mare! Well I "bake" mine but I guess you could call it roasting LOL... I make them kinda like pumpkin seeds let them defrost, then drain them and pat them til they're dry. Spray them with olive oil cooking spray, and sprinkle with your choice of seasonings...some good ones are usually chili powder, onion powder, tony cachere's salt free seasoning, low sodium taco seasoning, garlic powder, salt substitute. Let em cook until they are browned to your liking, let cool, and place in a storage baggie. As I'm not really sure if they can be kept at room temp, I keep mine in the fridge in individual bags for snacks on the go.

You can also try using a higher heat...400 or 450, just be sure to keep an eye on them. And spread them out in a single layer too, on a olive oil sprayed baking sheet. Keep in mind that the ones I use for this are shelled already; they're not in the pods. And yes use the calories on the bag. My portions are usually about 1/4 of a cup at a time. I just bake them all at once and then separate them out. does that help?
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks. I printed out your recipe from before.

My question was about the calorie count for 1 oz. Should I count 1 oz before baking or the 1 oz after. They do shrink quite a bit. Mine are shelled, too. I think I can get them cheaper some place other than the Safeway produce section. Where do you get yours?
Old 01-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #4  
Smartypants

I would do after, cause before will give you the weight for the ice around the peas too I think LOL. I get mine at Krogers Signature
txangelgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

The edamame will lose water during cooking, so 1 oz of unbaked edamame will weigh less after it is baked. This means that 1 oz of baked edamame will have more calories than 1 oz of unbaked (since it takes more than an oz of unbaked to equal an oz baked). The info on the package is for uncooked edamame, so you'd also have to find another source to get the calorie info for baked edamame.

Here is what I would do.
1. Rinse the edamame in water to melt all the ice off it.
2. Weigh the edamame before baking it and figure out the calories for the total amount of edamame I am baking.
3. Bake it.
4. Divide it into individual portions.
5. Divide the total portions I end up with in step 4 into the total amount of calories I came up with in step 2. This gives me my total calories per portion. Unfortunately, although the edamame loses water when baked, it doesn't lose any calories.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #6  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thank you very much! I think I'll do it that way.