Old 01-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #1  

Default Do You Monitor Your Intake?

Whatever version of low carb you're doing, do you track your calories/fat/protein/carbs such as in Fitday?

If you track your calories, how many calories are you taking in and why? If you track your carbs, how many carbs are you taking in?

I do both. My calories vary widely depending on what I've done at the gym. I burn over 3500 calories a day between my BMR and working out, so my trainers advised a higher intake for weight loss. I eat anywhere from a low of 1600 to a high of 2600 on average. My carbs average 12-25%/day.

I don't seem to lose weight on the lower calories and have to go above 2300 when I want to lose weight....
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:12 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I've been doing Atkins for almost 4 years now and have never counted calories...only carbs. I stay at about 30-35 carbs per day, concentrating mainly on veggies & salad. I've learned to keep my intake of cheese to approx. 1 oz per day. As for meats, I eat mainly chicken, fish, pork & turkey...occasionally, beef. I do eat low carb/low sugar yogurt every morning (3 carbs). I don't drink anything but water & decaf herbal tea's.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #3  

With atkins, how are you "counting carbs" and is the # of carbs your saying grams?
Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl69 View Post
With atkins, how are you "counting carbs" and is the # of carbs your saying grams?
I count net carbs...total carbs deducting fiber.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #5  

Net grams. OK
Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #6  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

I keep track with fitday.
I try to keep my calories between 1400-1600, and carbs under 20 for now.

For me it is too easy to let the calories creep up too high, and still be under 20 carbs. So I have to pay attention to what I am eating.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:14 PM   #7  

Example of my no starch day (not Atkins, just no bread, rice, pasta, etc. and all the fruits and veggies I want) 38% /71g fat, 40%/164g protein, 20%/105g-29g fiber carbs.

What did I eat? 2 protein shakes, salad with grilled chicken, cherries, steak and salad, atkins bars.

For me, this will result in me continuing to lose. Unless the calroies were too low (only got in 1659 calories and I did 3 hours of hardcore exercise today)
Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #8  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

While doing Atkins I don't regularly pay attention to calories or log them in any way. I count my net carbs. I try to stay below 35 carbs per day. Lots of protein, lots of green veggies, lots of salad and an occasional piece of fruit (after induction). I try to limit my cheese intake to a max of 2 oz. a day or the wt. just doesn't come off me as well as it should.

Just out of curiosity , I have counted my cal's a few times on Atkins and ranged around 1800-2200 cals per day and was still losing weight.

Last edited by lilybelle; 01-13-2008 at 12:55 PM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #9  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Hi there!

I'm just starting Atkins (Day 5) and I confess I haven't been counting the carbs at all. I don't have any weighing scales to measure out portions, for one thing - but, really, I've not been thinking about it. So I've probably had too much cheese and cream, from the sounds of it - I've not had masses, by any means, but today I had maybe an ounce or two of Feta with my lunch (salad w/roast chicken) and I've just had some mozarella on the beanless chili I made for dinner. Um. And some sour cream.

I'm really startled and delighted by the way that this eating programme seems to successfully curb my appetite - but I checked my weight today and was sorry to see it hadn't gone down any since Monday. I'm guessing it's the cream and cheese, yeah? Although I've not been counting my veggies either - but, again, we're talking a small bowl of salad twice a day. Maybe a few chopped asparagus pieces. Oh! And mushrooms - several ounces of mushrooms, I guess.

Am I being too lax about this? I'm eating strictly the foods allowed on the plan, nothing else, and drinking lots of water, and my portion sizes are quite modest. But - I had rather hoped to have lost some weight by now too.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

According to Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution, cheese, cream & sour cream are all limited during Induction. Cheese is limited to 3-4 oz. per day of specific cheese's. Cheddar, cow, sheep & goat cheese, cream cheese, gouda, mozzarella, roquefort & other blue cheese's, swiss. Cream is limited to 2-3 Tablespoons and is also listed in the book under special catagory foods with a limit of 3 oz per day. There is disclaimer stating to be aware it could occasionally slow down weight loss in some people and may need to be avoided the first 2 weeks. Sour Cream is limited to 1 oz per day.

As for veggies & salad...personally, I've never measured them. I have a good size salad for lunch everyday that also includes 6-8 cold, cooked broccoli florets chopped up & sliced cucmbers. In the evening, I have a small salad with my dinner as well as a veggie...usually green beans, yellow squash, spinach, zucchini, brussel sprouts. I've been doing this since day 1 of Atkins (I'll be on Atkins 4 years in April) and it has never caused me any problems.

The thing to avoid that I can not stress enough are Atkins bars. Despite what the label says...they are NOT appropriate for Induction! The bars contain ingredients like SOY, MILK & PEANUTS. Where are any of these ingredients on the acceptable foods list for Induction They also state they contain 0 grams of sugar alcohol. The Chocolate Peanut Butter bar starts out with 22 total carbs...it contains 10 grams of fiber...this brings the total net carbs to 12...HOWEVER, the label states they are 2 net carbs Confused yet?? Glycerin is deducted and guess what glycerin is....Yup, its a SUGAR ALCOHOL!!! Save your almost $2 per bar and make yourself some tuna salad or a hard boiled egg....You'll be happy you did!!

If I may ask, are you getting any form of exercise? Walking is excellent. I do walk aerobics...Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds...they're low impact and fun (believe me, I NEVER thought I'd say that about exercise!). They have different levels from beginner to advanced and you can do them in the privacy of your own home. Ebay has a very good selection. I deal with a seller who is excellent. If you're ever interested, feel free to send me a PM and I'd be happy to give you the name

You CAN do this!! Atkins, when done correctly works...I'm living proof!

All the best to you!!

Kim

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-18-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:15 AM   #11  
Fay

Thanks for answering! I really am just awed by your success -it's so cheering! And I'm trying NOT to be disheartened by this - I'm trying to look at it as a heads-up that I'm doing something wrong, and an opportunity to fix it. But I'm not sure what it is that needs fixing.

...See, I wouldn't have said that I WAS eating more than 3-4 oz of cheese per day - but, to be fair, I've not yet found any weighing scales to measure out my portions (there's a task for today!) Still - I've baked in the past, and I would have said I had a reasonable idea of what four ounces was. But maybe I'm wrong - hopefully once I find scales, that will help!

And a tablespoon is the size of at least two desert spoons - I've had maybe a tablespoon of cream or sour cream most days this week, as part of my cooking.

I don't mind cutting out the cream and cheese - God knows I don't normally eat them, but since I've had to cut out the skimmed milk I normally have, I figured that it was a good idea to keep eating something with calcium content. And he does make such a thing of how you're NOT supposed to go with low fat things - but, really, I can't face eating the fat on my bacon. Still, I'll chuck the creams and the cheese out and see if that helps.

As to exercise - well, I decided to start the food plan this week, and then get into an Official exercise plan next week. But I've been walking to work every morning (a brisk 15 minute walk) rather than getting an extra 10 mins' sleep and hopping into a Tuk Tuk, and I've been to the gym twice (half hour sessions on the treadmill), and for a brisk 1 1/2 hour walk around Lumpini Park (Bangkok's modest equivalent of Central Park). So I've been sort of gently getting back into exercise on a voluntary basis, if you see what I mean, before starting next week to set myself actual exercise goals.

As to Atkins bars - I don't have access to them, or to most of the low carb convenience foods that people mention here. I mean, there's plenty of stuff available in the supermarkets, but what Western products are available are from all over the West, rather than just the US. Low Carb is a bit of a niche, and I'm not seeing it available in the shops here.

I did tentatively buy some non-sugar sweetener yesterday, with a vague idea that perhaps I could make myself something desertlike at some point from cream and cinnamon and a touch of sweetener, if I found myself really craving sweets...but since most of the writing was in Thai and it was an unfamiliar brand, I felt distinctly iffy about it and probably won't use it unless I can find some more info online as to what the **** it really IS.

::sigh::

I do feel better. It might just be the placebo effect, of course...but I really want this to WORK, damn it. And it's annoying, because I wouldn't generally expect to lose more than a pound or two in a given week - only here you have people saying they lost 5 or 8 or what have you, so I had hoped...but there's no use crying over spilled milk (or cream, in this case!), so I'll see what I can do to fix it.

Thank you for telling me what you eat, though. It's good to not have to feel that I should be counting out every piece of lettuce and cucumber.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:35 AM   #12  
Fay

Typical day's food so far this week:

Breakfast - 2 eggs scrambled with black pepper, served with smoked salmon or with 2 rashers of bacon. Perhaps with mushrooms.

Lunch - A plate with some lettuce, some cucumber, 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes, a few slices of hard boiled egg, and then either tuna with mayo (which isn't in the list of induction foods, but IS in several of the induction food recipes - and I decided that it was probably okay, since it's made of oil and eggwhites, both of which are on the list?), or maybe grilled chicken, or feta cheese.

Dinner - Home made mushroom soup (maybe 6 portions in the pan, which included maybe 3 tablespoons of cream in the recipe), green salad with maybe salmon or feta or slices of beef. Perhaps a bit of asparagus or a capsicum pepper. Perhaps with a spoonful of sour cream.

I'll cut out the cheese and cream and see if that helps. I really DO want this to work.

Last edited by broadabroad; 01-19-2008 at 12:36 AM.