Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #1  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Default My birthday is next week...

Can I have 1...uh...free pass while on Atkins?

So far I've lost 10 pounds. My weight loss went from 1.5 pounds per day to .5 pounds per day, so I think I'm in fat burning mode now. I don't want to undo all my hard work, but we're going to my favorite Thai restaurant and the RICE WITH SAUCE! And the FRIED ICE CREAM! AND THE BIRTHDAY CAKE! And, of course, THE BOOZE.

So...if I go full throttle until Friday, then have a moderately normal birthday (half a piece of cake, etc) then start right back up...will that work?
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:14 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I'm sure this isn't the response you're wanting to hear...personally, I would not do it. While all those things may taste good for the moment, in my opinion, it certainly is not worth derailing my progress. The "just this little bit won't hurt" can lead to cravings that can keep you off track for days.

Eating meals out is not difficult on Atkins...steaks, grilled chicken, fish, veggies & salad is usually available at most restaurants. If you want a dessert for a special occasion, there are many "legal" ones on the various low carb websites.

Comittment & consistency are the keys to making this WOE work

Enjoy your birthday!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 01-10-2008 at 01:16 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #3  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I'm not an Atkins expert, but as a loser, I'm going to tell you that I don't think it's a good idea to do it. IMO, it would be far too early in your weight loss journey to have a "free pass". My personal experience (and YMMV) is that it is far too easy to get off track in the first few weeks/months of trying to lose weight. And it's almost impossible to get back on at first. It gets much easier, but it didn't start out like that.

Maybe, just maybe, this isn't the place you should eat at your birthday if you want to stay "legal"? Just thinking out loud. I lost the first 75 lbs on a pretty low carb diet, and no way would I have had the willpower to go to a place (especially my favorite place) where my favorite foods were things I couldn't eat.

Good luck and Happy Birthday!
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #4  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Personally I wouldnt chance it. My birthdays are always low key, and I usually dont want to go anywhere to eat. I usually request hubby grill me a big ole honkin' steak with fried mushrooms. Then its strawberries and real whip cream for dessert.

Why not have a birthday party at home? Where you can control the food. You dont have to leave out the birthday cake, for the kids sake, have one, and have them blow out the candles........just dont eat it.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

here is another thought.....you have done so well so far, how will taking a free day make you feel? Will it make you feel good about yourself? Will it reinforce everything you have done so far?

Do what makes you feel absolutely wonderful about yourself!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:33 PM   #6  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

LoL, definitely NOT the answers I wanted, but I'll take them from the seasoned low-carbers. =)

So...after reading through this thread and thinking...I think I'll probably just compromise on my d-day. Me and grandma share a b-day, and since she doesn't have many left () we usually make a big deal out of it with cake and tons of food.

My g-ma and I usually go out to lunch together, so I'll try to talk her in to just doing brunch instead (I fare better eating breakfast out than I do eating lunch). I'll turn down going to that Thai place (everything is noodles or rice) and opt for Red Lobster instead and have a straight gin or two with dinner. I'm still torn on the cake - I guess I'll cross that specific bridge when I come to it.

I know it sounds like a silly thing to be worrying about, but I'm between a rock and a hard place. I, hubby and our friends a very celebratory bunch, so if I decide to go for "nothing" it will be very difficult. And staying in for my b-day because of a diet would just be unbelievably depressing.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #7  

Will it work? At getting the scale up 3-4 lbs, sure ; )
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 203/160.5/140

Height: 5'3"

How about making a low carb cheesecake for a birthday cake. I made one for my honey the other day for his birthday. I got the recipe from another forum I belong to but I'd be happy to share it with you if you would like. It is absolutely delicious!! You will think your cheating when you eat it. I also simmered blueberries in simple syrup made with splenda/water as opposed to sugar/water to put on top of the cake. My honey is a Type 1 diabetic and absolutely loved it.
Ptrcmcc6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #9  

Good recommendation, Ptrcmc6
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #10  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

There are many "legal" treats when eating low carb

http://genaw.com/lowcarb/peanutbutte...heesecake.html
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/chocolate_truffle_torte.html
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/nobake_keylime_cheesecake.html
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/nobake_pean...heesecake.html
http://genaw.com/lowcarb/cheesecake_squares.html
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: Goal 150 ~ 21lbs down

My birthday is next Saturday so I know how you feel! The temptation is really strong to eat my favorite stuff like I do every other birthday. I think that the ladies are right in their advice though. Your best bet in my opinion is to find some place with lots of "legal" options.

For me, its the Melting Pot.. plenty of veggies and lean meats as long as I can stay away from the chocolate fondue (Eeeeee- vil)....

Best of luck and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
CrabbyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:28 AM   #12  

You know, I'm going to disagree with some of the people on here. I read in an article (weightlosssupport)Or something like that,Then sometimes when you feel like you need to you can binge a bit. I don't mean by having 4 pieces of cake, and stuff. Cut everything you used to eat (before the diet)In half. half piece of cake, etc. Then on tuesday (or whenever) that week cut your carb intake about 5/10 carbs(however many your comfortable with)I'm saying this because if you don't act on something, you're going to set yourself up for a much bigger binge later. If you don't think you can control yourself during your dinner, I wouldn't chance it. BUT if you have control, then girlfriend its yo birfday you should party like it's your birfday *in moderation of course*
seraphimbeauty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:18 PM   #13  
Somethin's gotta give

I know Im back here new again and have no right to go on like this- but I'd do it.There are going to be very few days in your life if you make this a "lifestyle" that you are going to be able to confidently say, "I planned this and executed this and got back on track"...Personally, I dont want to look out on the long span of life I have left and think "I spent every second worrying about what I would or wouldnt eat"...I say, do it, have a great time, BUT then get back on track and realize that your birthday is one of the FEW days in a year you can let go-just MHO

Last edited by marie.; 01-16-2008 at 12:29 PM.
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #14  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I agree with the theory of "do it and don't worry about it and get right back on track". I think it's a wonderful idea, but very difficult for someone who is new to any plan (low carb or not) to do. I think most people need time to let good habits develop. I'm pretty sure that Altari posted around Christmas time that she was starting a new food plan, so I would think that she (or anybody) needs more time getting those good habits under her belt before she takes a free pass. It's just too darn difficult to get back on track initially.

It does get much easier, so my advice for the next birthday, for someone who has been on plan for several months, would be different.

So what did you end up doing?
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #15  
Somethin's gotta give

...and at 160 lost- Im deferring to the voice of experience
marie. is offline   Reply With Quote