Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/198/150

Height: 5'7"

Default no matter what I try...

nothing works!!for me,anyway!
I've been taking Slimquick for over a week and lost 1 pound!
This was my first pill I ever tried.I've tried other ways...
slimfast
south beach
counting my calories
weigth watchers(on my own,have all the books)
all of these while walking and riding my exercise bike
The only time I lost weight was 20 pounds the first month on south beach(gained it all back!of course)
I'm coming here for help & support,please help.
here's a normal day for me...
get up @ 4 am
leave @ 4:30 to be at work by 5
get off @2/2:30,go to school to pick up my youngest @ 3:10 & make it back home by 3:30,supper @ 6 & bed usually around 9:30.
*b*
beliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #2  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

OK, breathe.....

First, there are no quick fixes, in order for something to work you have to give it time, tweak if necessary and persevere. For example you say southbeach didnt work and you regained the 20 lbs...but were you sticking to the program when you regained?

Also, what are your expectations. While I would never recommend a pill....1 lb/week is reasonable and healthy weightloss. Are you giving up because you are expecting too much too soon?

Anyway, to get more help, we will have to know more about you (weight/height) and what you are currently eating to make any useful suggestions!

Last edited by ennay; 01-10-2008 at 05:41 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:40 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey beliter!

I'd say, you need more of a plan that Slimquick for 1 week. Of course, many folks come here to 3FC and have tried everything and nothing works for them. All I can say is, you have to be willing to change!

Many successful losers here have found that they have to see this as a change in how they live and eat, rather than just a quick weight-loss remedy. There are many plans to choose from, but you must pick one and stay with it--for more than 2 weeks! for more than a month! Gosh! maybe forever!

So, what would work for you? If you don't have the money for Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem, maybe calorie counting. Or you could go back to one of the programs you've already tried--like WW--and this time go to some meetings instead of being on your own with it. Or, perhaps South Beach would work if you stayed with it longer.

Remember, it's not about losing weight fast--it's about not regaining it!

Look around-- 3FC has lots of information-- you can choose the plan that seems to fit best with what you like and what you can do.

As for exercise--looks like you get off early enough in the day that you could get some exercise before dinner. Is there a YMCA in your town? Sometimes the Y has child care... Do you have any exercise videos in addition to your walking and exercise bike?

In other words, think of the things you CAN do, not what you think hasn't worked. You CAN try something again. You CAN make some changes.

Glad to see you here! Stick around! Read the stories in Goals and Mini-Goals! Visit all the forums--and check out the diet reviews (from the main page).

Cheers!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8"

Been there, done that. I'm 50 something and have stuggled with my weight all my life (I can still remember being mortified at about 6 or 7 and having my mother loudly ask where the "chubby girl" sizes were in the department store). I've tried pretty much every pill and fad diet too. Some worked pretty well (did great on Atkins) but got cocky (or lazy) and gained everything back. I just found this web site today and am now convinced that the only thing that really works is patience and stick-to-itiveness. I'm not giving up and neither should you!!!! Stay in touch with the folks on this site and I betcha you'll stay motivated - when you think you want something "bad" to eat, grab a healthy snack and sit down at the computer.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:20 PM   #5  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I have my own personal rule. I stick to everything religiously for at least 8 weeks. If I see no change, then I modify or, unfortunately, give up. I did this with counting calories/exercising for 2 years. Someone here told me you just have to find what works for you. For me, with my shut down metabolism, Atkins is working wonders.

Everyone starts off with pretty much the same metabolism, but various things you go through in life affect the way it works. But you'll never find your magic bullet (and yes, that magic bullet could mean only 1 pound lost every 2-3 weeks!) if you hop from diet to diet. Despite being on Atkins, I'm a firm believer that everyone should start off with calorie counting and exercise. It's got a proven track record. Even if it doesn't work for you, you'll become more mindful of your body and what you're eating.

Don't give up!!
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Not only do you need to stick to it, but most people here are going to recommend that calorie counting is about the best method to losing. And you tried that. But let me ask, did you modify your diet in any way or just count calories? Cause if you eat the same things, and just less of them, it will ultimately catch up to you. If you modify but still eat foods that trigger cravings, it will catch up. Eventually, you'll be so hungry, you'll stop dieting in favor of food.

The other method that most people here adhere to is good old fashioned exercise. Most do calorie counting AND exercise in conjunction.

But regardless of what is tried, good old fashioned willpower seems to be the only proven working method. As many here will also attest to the numerous diets we've tried over and over again. Sometimes even trying the same diet again to find it working the second time around, because they now had a stronger desire to lose the weight.

And you can help your willpower with a good support base and tricks at motivating yourself which you can get plenty of ideas on in these forums.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/198/150

Height: 5'7"

hi all,
I did stick to each plan for about 3 months each.
I cut out lots of stuff...sweets,fried foods & have been eating lots of veggies & salads.
I get stressed out alot & the dr. put me on some meds,I'm trying not to rely on them as much.
About me...188,5'7'& late 30 something.I'm married & have 2 teenage boys.
I did really good onthe south beach plan but I got bronchitis 3 times in 2 months & everyone 'advised' me that my 'diet' was making my immune system low...so I stopped.
Since I started taking slimquick I have more energy & don't eat as much...
ex. day-
B-pb&j on lite whole wheat
snack-100 cal snack pack
L-bowl of veggies or small personal size pizza
'after school snack'(this ones not every day)-small Starbucks(coffe ligth frapp) or small milk shake/frosty-usually something cold & dairy
S-this one never stays the same,but I try to make good choices.
after supper,sometimes we have a dessert/snack,but this too is not all the time.
I have no WW meetings close by,no YMCA...thats why I walk & have a ex.bike.
You know the more I think about it...while I was doing the southbeach plan I felt better & did not have alot of pains(I had a car acc in March 2005)or stomach problems.
Maybe I can get motivated here,I saw there's a place just for SB'ers.
thanks
beliter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:16 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

You can make it work--you have to keep trying until you find the right combination... Don't give up! Check out the SB forum... lots of good folks there!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #9  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beliter View Post
B-pb&j on lite whole wheat
snack-100 cal snack pack
L-bowl of veggies or small personal size pizza
'after school snack'(this ones not every day)-small Starbucks(coffe ligth frapp) or small milk shake/frosty-usually something cold & dairy
S-this one never stays the same,but I try to make good choices.
after supper,sometimes we have a dessert/snack,but this too is not all the time.
Well, it looks like there's some room for improvement in your menu, IMHO. (Keeping in mind I don't know what nutrients are in Slimquick.)

-Both of your snacks are just empty calories. What about something with protein, healthy fats, and fiber, like fruit and lowfat cottage cheese, carrots and hummus, yogurt with a sprinkle of cereal, and so forth?

-Eating lots of veggies is great, but is that all you're having for lunch? That wouldn't be enough for most. What about a whole wheat wrap with a lean protein and some veggies? A sandwich on whole wheat bread?

-It looks like you're taking in 400-700 cals before dinner. What are your daily goals?

Just some stuff to think about!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I would have to second what 3Beans said, that your menu could use some tweaking. I personally have no problem with the 100 cal snacks because they really helped me while losing weight, but it's true that they're mostly empty in terms of nutrition. When you say you either have a bowl of veggies or a personal size pizza for lunch, that's a pretty huge discrepancy. A personal pizza can have tons of calories. Is it one of those Lean Cuisine ones or something else? And a small milkshake can have tons of calories as well. Your best bet is to start tracking your calories and see where you're at, because you may be taking in a lot more than you think you are. I certainly was!!

Whatever you decide to go with, South Beach, calorie counting, or whatever, I wish you lots of success!! I know you can do it. It's a scientific fact that you will lose weight if you're burning more calories than you consume (through both being alive and through exercise), so if you try that for a while and you're not losing weight you should see a doctor to make sure everything's ok. But be patient -- the weight could come off slowly. A pound a week is a great rate of loss, so don't get discouraged if that's what happens.

And most of all, keep coming to 3FC for support and inspiration!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote