Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #1  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Default What does Master Trainer mean?

What exactly does "Master Trainer" mean? I had my first session with a trainer today and it said "Master Trainer" under his name. He kicked my butt with core training and I'm going back for more next Tuesday and Thursday for WL training. It's at a local 24 Hour Fitness and I have to say I'm very impressed so far with the facility. I wasn't 100% sure about it when I joined at the end of November...and chose it purely because it was close to home, a good monthly price (I pay more for the childcare than my membership!), had a nice childcare program, lots of ellipticals and free weights. Having a good experience with a personal trainer now is a nice bonus!
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #2  
Meg

Nori, it could be a name that your gym has given to trainers who meet certain qualifications for which they've set the standard -- an internal title (like "Head Trainer"). Or it could be some kind of certification from one of the 150+ organizations that certify personal trainers (of which there are maybe 5 -7 reputable ones). It's not a certification that my organization uses and I've never come across a "Master Trainer" so I just don't know.

Why not ask him? If he has the title, he's probably proud of what it took to earn it.

And I'm so glad that you're having a good experience!!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #3  
One life, live it well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Why not ask him? If he has the title, he's probably proud of what it took to earn it.
I will. This morning, at the time, it really didn't "impress" me. It's just funny because I was reading a post by JerseyGirl ( I think) a bit ago and she mentioned that her trainer was a MT and then I got to thinking about it. Like wondering if I should have curtsied to him or something!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #4  
Meg

My guess is that it's an internal, 24 Hour Fitness title. I'm sure he'd love a curtsy. Or better yet, a few lunges!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:43 PM   #5  

Curtsy--a new core move ; )
JerseyGirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #6  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Oh my gosh do you go to the downtown one? I drove past it the last time I was in the city and it's all glass windows and I swooned. I wish I lived closer! It looked awesome!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #7  
One life, live it well

Nope. My gym wouldn't be that modern! It's not bad, just "normal" though! I actually live in Covington (just changed location!), so it's the Kent-Kangley location. They are moving/upgrading to a new location this summer and the plans look great.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:58 PM   #8  
Mel

A few certifications (ISSA and ACE that I know of) will re-certify someone as a "Master Trainer" after a certain number of documented training hours.

Most likely it's a internal designation, like "Senior Stylist" at a hair salon. The head trainer and owner at my gym bestowed the title on me when he wanted to to raise my hourly rates...two years after ISSA put it on my certification

The gym couldn't charge as much if he was a Junior Trainer or Trainer in Training!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:24 AM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

The biggest chain of gyms in our area (though my town has only an "express" setup, lots of cardio machines, minimal weights) has 3 levels of trainers, which they describe as follows:

Advanced
- National certification and less than a year of experience.
Expert
- A degree and/or national certification plus two or more years of experience.
Master
- A degree and multiple national certifications plus five or more years of experience.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:35 AM   #10  
Meg

I'm chuckling that the beginner trainers are "advanced" ... it's like Lake Wobegon, where everyone is above average.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Yeah, that was my feeling. Like buying drinks at a fast food place, a medium (or now probably a large) is the smallest the sell. WTF!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote