General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 10:21 PM   #1  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default Doin' It The Old Fashioned Way #10

Welcome! For the newbies, we are a group who lose weight and get fit by good old fashioned exercise and monitoring how much we eat - either by counting calories, WW points, Food Mover - whatever. We support and motivate each other through the great days and the not-so-great tough days. Please feel free to join in!
Old 05-03-2002, 10:31 PM   #2  
Biker Chick!

Christine, first you made me laugh about the demonic scale - that is really bizarre - then I felt serious about your difficult time. You are strong enough to ride out this tough time without losing hope. Anyone seeing how far you've come would applaud you.

Nancy's right - we all start out each day with the best intentions - some days are right on program; others are so-so, and then there are the "what the heck happened?!" days. It's inevitable, and it's from sources we can't even control sometimes (like just feeling inexplicably blue some days). The only good thing is that it eventually passes, and each day we can start again.

Well, that's it for my sermon. Hopefully just knowing that we care about you will help a little

Have a good night -
Holly
Old 05-04-2002, 10:09 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all... I'm still feeling blah but figured I'd check in here so I can get on the notification list for this thread!

My scale is reading just - now so I think I'm in need of a new one. Yes, I know, the intelligent thing to do would be to toss this one and not get another but I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new scale for months and now I have one

I totally agree with the starting each day with the best intentions but the thing is, lately, every one of my days has turned into the 'what the heck happened' kind of day! If i was having some good days at least, Id be less apt to want to give up but day after day has turned into the worst!

I'm considering some St. John's Wort for the emotional thing. I used to take it about 5 1/2 years ago and it really seemed to make a difference for me. Anyone know of any reasons one should not take this? (for anyone unaware, its an herb thats supposed to help with depression). I've also been tempted by the new Xenadrine.. the EFX without ephedra.. My appetite has been out of control lately as well... if I only had to deal with the emotions or only the hunger, I could probably work with it, but with both at the same time, Ive just been stuffing my face constantly! I will not touch anything with ephedra in it but figured no harm in trying the pills without. If they can help curb my appetite, it'd be worth it. Any comments on these as well?

Well, I'm going to go wake my husband now cuz he doesn't deserve the sleep. Ive been asking him to please come to bed earlier.. and please spend less time on his puter cuz I really need a little more attention. So, what does he do.. he comes home like every day this week and immediately jumps on his puter and stays on til he goes to bed (last night this was 3:15am!!).. Oh he drives me nutso! I've heard that men don't 'grow up' until they're about 30, is this true?? Whatever possessed me to pick a younger man, I'll never know! He's only 24, so we have a ways to go before maturity ROFL

I'm off... have a great weekend everyone!

Christine
195/150/130
Old 05-04-2002, 02:37 PM   #4  
Biker Chick!

Hi guys!

Seeing if I can correctly attach an image on me on the bike - rats, I just found out I can't; the file is too big. I'll work that out somehow...

First I started it in our (dirt) driveway, and got the feel of starting out in first gear; then we
went to the school parking lot, and I got it up to second gear - seems like I was flying, yet I believe my speed was like 10 MPH. I'm going to need SO much practice to get the hang of this... But my husband said I did fine for a first try, and he doesn't pull any punches, so I believe him.

I'm just extremely glad I didn't do any crazy panic stuff, like taking off screaming across the lot and careening into the bandshell.

Hi Christine - I wouldn't want to say anything unkind about your husband; but it does really annoy one when you feel more attention is going to a machine than a spouse. Is he studying for something important, or is he just surfing/playing? I know people unwind in different ways but if you're wanting/needing some attention, it sure would be good for you to be able to get it, or at least a compromise on time limits on the 'puter.

I'm trying to get through the afternoon without grabbing something to eat - we went to a Fire Dept. pancake breakfast this morning; and I knew that calorie-wise it was going to have to count for breakfast and lunch - but 9:30 was a long time ago!

I am wishing everyone a great afternoon and evening - if it's nice out, take a good long walk and r-e-l-a-xxx.....

Holly
176/166/160 1st mini goal
Old 05-04-2002, 03:40 PM   #5  

Good afternoon! How is everyone, I had a busy day yesterday, si I didnt get around to my workout, gonna make up for it today..do weights, and tae bo, then walk tomorrow,, Hey Christine, I can agree with you about men;s maturity, some go well beyond 30 before it comes!! My husband loves to get on the puter, and play games!! pool, and cards etc.. WEll I have lost 1,5 pounds this week, I did mess up twice, so I am pleased with the loss!! I am op today, and hope everyone is doing well!! Talk to you all later!

Latisia
Old 05-04-2002, 06:56 PM   #6  

Good afternoon friends,,,

Latisia~~~ way to go with 1.5 pounds gone!!!! You are doing wonderful. How much does that total now since you started?

Holly~~~ I bet you were nervous getting on the bike...but soon you will be riding like an old pro!!

Christine~~~ My best friend takes St Johns Wort. She swears by it. The only thing I had heard about the St Johns is that it can weaken the strength of Birth Control Pills. But my friend takes the pill and St Johns and she has never had a problem with it.
I would give it a try and see how it helps. But dont worry you will make it thru this. You will see !!!

My day is going ok. I havent walked yet. I been cleaning house all day. Bruce did all the vaccuming though. He is such a sweetheart.
I am feeling pms'y and dont want to do anything now except lay on the couch and watch tv ...But will try to force myself to go for a walk sometime today.
Less then 3 weeks now till we go back to the states for my son's Military Officers Grad. We are driving so it will be such a long trip . We will be gone for over a month.
I am looking forward to the vacation but wanted so badly to have alot of weight off by then. I am so terrified of gaining lots, with being gone so long. I just hope I can stay strong at least most of the time.

Well I better get my butt into gear and head out for a walk before I talk myself out of it..

I hope everyone has a great evening and that you keep on smiling.

See ya later.

Nancy

Hope the rest of the gang checks in soon....
Old 05-04-2002, 09:19 PM   #7  
Biker Chick!

Hi again -

I would also say try the St. John's Wort, Christine. I have heard others say that it was helpful to them, and they didn't mention any side effects.

Nancy, I can sure understand your being wary of the long trip (LONG drive!). Will you be staying with family/friends, or at hotels? It is going to be tough, but I would hope that most restaurants now have lots of heart-healthy choices. Sometimes it's much more difficult with family/friends, as they tend to get hurt feelings when someone turns down their lovingly prepared food...I'm not sure what to suggest. I think that you've made habits now that you'll be able to stick to. And new places offer the opportunity to walk and explore...you might come back with a loss!!

Was it Officer's School that your son is graduating from? Congratulations to him!

Okay, last thing tonight is to see if my image was adapted to fit here...

Talk to you all tomorrow!!

Holly
Old 05-04-2002, 10:20 PM   #8  

Holly~~~ Great pic!!!!!!!!!!!! And you look so slim already!!!!!!!!!
Nice looking bike also,,,how cool!!

Yes its Officers school that my son is graduating from. He will be a Lieutenant.

Well gonna run,, the hubby and I rented some DVD's and going to be a slug and lay on the couch and watch them.

Have a great night all ..

See ya tomorrow!

Nancy
Old 05-05-2002, 02:35 PM   #9  

hey all, Nancy congratulations to your son, That is great!! Holly nice picture, cool

Well everyone, confession time for me,,,havent worked out in 2 days and if I dont do it today it will be 3 . Imma do it though soon as i get off this puter. got my tae boAND weights, for sure.. I am glad to be losing, but my arms are flabby, and I am ashamed of this!! So I will not post like this again, .. I got tied up in my son, teething, he really has a hard time with it, and quite frankly I am going to get it checked out tomorrow, if it doesnt get better!! My mom thinks it might be a good idea. so do i. well, hope everyone is op, and doing well. Tal to you all later!!

Latisia
Old 05-05-2002, 03:45 PM   #10  

Hey everyone,
Love the pic Holly. You look awesome.
I haven't read or posted in awhile. I've been in a funk. I only made it to one workout last week. I skipped one by choice....to spend quality time with hubby and missed 2 by circumstances beyond my control. I ate like a pig yesterday. I didn't even care. Today is a new day. I read "Make the Connection" last week and that's what I'm trying to do. Getting up early everyday to work out is going to be a super challenge. I already get up at 6:30 to be at work for 8:00. I have a 40 minute commute So it looks like I'll have to be up at 5 am if I want to get in a workout. I'm a night owl. This is going to be very difficult for me. That means I'll be in bed asleep by 10. I'll also have to start keeping a food journal again. I haven't been doing that and my weight loss shows it. I gained another 2.5 lbs. It is TOM so I'm hoping to drop the 4.5 that I gained in the last 2 weeks.
Christine, as you can tell, I know exactly how you are feeling. I've felt that way for a few weeks now. I went shopping and bought a new pair of pants. Size 16, but that's down from a size 22. That should have made me happy but it didn't. St. John's Wort is supposed to be great. I think it takes awhile to kick in. Just check with your pharmacist if you are taking or planning on taking any other medications. I'm currently taking Wellbutrin SR (to help me stop smoking ) and I had to stop taking one of my herbal supplements while on it. I only have to take it for a month and by then I'm supposed to have stopped smoking completely.

For all you quote lovers out there I just read one that I think is so fitting for us in our weight loss journey and in life in general.

"Challenge is inevitable. Defeat is optional"

So true.
Pamela and everyone else struggling right now, hang in there. Things will get better.

To the rest of you who are losing and keeping on track. Kudos and keep it up!

Melisa

Last edited by malviti; 05-05-2002 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2002, 11:01 PM   #11  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Talking I'm Still HERE!!!

Hey everyone, I am just about caught up with all of your posts... just a quick one right now while I quickly eat my lunch! We had a crazy week with a friend of a friend over from Ottawa!! We had a great time and I was sad to see a fellow Canadian leave Australia on Friday We will keep in touch by email and hopefully meet up again.

I have been riding the bike.... Holly great photo!! I am so happy you love your bike!! I looked it up on a Honda Website (looks like a real machine!!!!) .... mine is a Japanese import so I have not found a Honda dealer site... just fan sites in .... japanese!!! AAAHHHH!!!

I will figure out how to post a photo tonight! We did a 100km ride through the winding roads and hills north east of Melbourne, very spectacular but being a country girl from Alberta.... the roads I grew up on were FLAT!!! and STRAIGHT!!! I would have been freaking out in a car, so I was a bit unnerved on the bike and stayed about 10 km under the speed limit.... very funny when you have a biker chick as lead bike (on a 750 Ducati) and a long time rider bringing up the tail on a Triumph 900 something... with a tiny 250cc like a baby duck in the middle!! Hubby was driving Safety Car behind the Triumph so I felt safe. It was a great day out and I am looking forward to doing that again next weekend. Then I have to attempt the Freeway because I am joining a Women's Motorbike club and it is 'cool' to ride your bikes to the meetings... unless it is pouring rain. I will be safe!

Longer post to follow.... with a photo too!!!

bye for now guys!!
Missed you all LOTS last week and I will be around alot more now!

Nola.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:58 AM   #12  

Hey all, and hello Nola, nice to see you again!! Hey Melisa, congrats on the downsizing!! that is great, I did my workouts, and i am back on a roll!! Just wanted to say hello to everyone and let you know i am OP for sure!! Talk to you all more tomorrow!!

Latisia
Old 05-06-2002, 08:50 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 200/200/125

Height: 5'4"

Default Quote of the Day:

"One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks." --Jack Penn

I should be able to get there in no time, with all the stumbling blocks I've come upon lately!

Good morning all ...

I'm in a much better mood today than last week. I don't know what came over me but its lifted a bit finally. I have started to take St. John's Wort but its not supposed to show its effects until you've taken it at least 3-4 weeks. I'm going to keep up with it and maybe it'll help with the emotional stuff. We'll see.

I'm trying to deal with the lack of a scale and although I wasn't weighing myself daily anymore (as I'd actually FORGET, *gasp*) I still like to check in every couple days and now I can't! I'm needing to go buy me a new scale asap. Maybe it'll be nicer to me than the old one

So, this week my only plan is to put in as much effort as I can. I am making no false promises of perfection because I know I will be far from perfect, but I am prepared to at least try!

Hope you're all off to a great week . . .

Christine
195/150?/130
Old 05-06-2002, 01:50 PM   #14  

I hope everyones weeks starts as a fantastic one. I know I am certainly going to try to have a great one myself even though its that TOM and I feel like a slug.
I had a dream last night that I gained tons of weight . Geesh why would I dream something like that??????? Well I like the dream I had a few weeks ago better,,, I dreamt that Cindy Crawford told me she was tired of being a supermodel and she wanted to give me all her clothes,,, of course I would have to have them hemmed..... .......I sure have some crazy dreams don't ya think????

Melisa~~~ From a size 22 to 16 is great success you should feel so proud!!

Nola~~~ Sounds like you are enjoying your bike. Cant wait to see a pic!!

Christine~~~ It is good to hear that you are feeling so much better. Sounds like your slump is over now!!!!!

Hello to the rest of the gang also, hope you are all doing great!

see ya all later

Nancy
Old 05-06-2002, 02:01 PM   #15  

Hey all, my son is better, felt his tooth, it popped in, and now he has no fever. We went on a longer walk , it was so beautiful out there too, saw 2 more people walking, that was great!! I am op, and doing well . me and my son are going to take some pics, i hope they turn out good, ( i do know he will look cute as ever in them though..lol) well i hope everyone is off to a great start this monday, and op.. talk to you all later!!

Latisia
Closed Thread